Synth Application - Madventurer - Walther

Madventurer
Byond: Madventurer

Synth Application - Madventurer - Walther

Post by Madventurer » 14 Oct 2018, 08:44

Byond ID: Madventurer

Marine Name (so we know who you are; if you play alien mostly, state that here): Tyson 'Burny' Sphere

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you’re requesting to use (Follows common naming rules, and requires a first name with no last name): Walther
Examples of acceptable names: James, Mason, Xavier, Felix, Otto, Allan, Jessica
Examples of unacceptable names: Obama, Jesus, King, Dragon, Godly, Snyper, Circuits

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14417)? Yes

Synthetic Character Story (An ADEQUATE description and story of your Synthetics actions and involvement in a previous mission onboard the Almayer):
► Show Spoiler

How do you intend to play your Synth (as in, describe HOW you will act/play your Synth and what support roles you’ll mainly focus on, what is your synthetics quirk)?
My intentions for Walther are to play mostly Medical as primary and Engineering as secondary supports. For acting/quirk, Walther will have a tendency to bring up the fragility/mortality of humans more often than necessary, in uncomfortable ways ("I recommend using a radiation suit while working with the Reactors. An error with the system could result in gruesome death by radiation poisoning over the course of several agonizing days of organ failure."). I also plan on talking briefly unless required, and occasionally interjecting into discussions with said morbid comments.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
Support is my most played role, with least played out of the 4 mentioned being Science.

Why should we whitelist you?
I believe I would make a decent synth at worst. Synths are also fantastic in the low-pop timezones I frequent and not too common there.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason (we will check, and lies may result in immediate denial)?
Not in the last month. One appealed CMO ban from earlier this year, appeal passed a month ago.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
No.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
That's the reason for the whitelist system, so, yes.
Tyson 'Burny' Sphere the bearded support soldier / Queen and drone main

Sulaboy
Byond: Sulaboy
Steam: Danger

Re: Synth Application - Madventurer - Walther

Post by Sulaboy » 14 Oct 2018, 18:43

What's your take on the synthetic guidelines, and how should a synthetic act?
Clancy 'Danger' Long
Ethan
A̸̧̭̰̮̰̜̥͈̱̲̫̲̭͋̄̈̍̉̓̿̊̃H̸͈̬̗̓̄̒̇̿̀̏̎͑͊̇̃̇͝Ĥ̴̨̧̨̩̞̗̤͝ͅH̴͔͕͊̄̓̐̀͝

MattAtlas
Byond: MattAtlas

Post by MattAtlas » 15 Oct 2018, 01:21

If your CO tells you to "stop creeping people out with your quirk", what do you do?
I'm part of the Synthetic Council with ThesoldierLLJK and Jakkkk. Feel free to DM me on the forums or Discord (Matt#5881) if you have any questions about synths.

Madventurer

Post by Madventurer » 15 Oct 2018, 07:18

Sulaboy wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 18:43
What's your take on the synthetic guidelines, and how should a synthetic act?
My take on synthetic guidelines is that they're to be followed and guide on how synths should be played, assuming that's what you mean with your question. Synthetic should of course maintain professionalism at all times regardless of situation, strive to be their best help to the corps while maintaining compliance to the limits listed in guidelines, such as the marine law.
MattAtlas wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 01:21
If your CO tells you to "stop creeping people out with your quirk", what do you do?
I would start by acting confused, unsure on what to understand of such an order on base personality. Then I would struggle to suppress the need to express the quirk. After all, it is a core part of each synthetic.
Long-term result would be talking in short, impersonal lines and generally being cold and distant. I feel this would be an appropriate response to such an order, as removing part of the personality would have a negative effect on the personality in general.

Sulaboy
Byond: Sulaboy
Steam: Danger

Post by Sulaboy » 15 Oct 2018, 11:56

Madventurer wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 07:18
My take on synthetic guidelines is that they're to be followed and guide on how synths should be played, assuming that's what you mean with your question. Synthetic should of course maintain professionalism at all times regardless of situation, strive to be their best help to the corps while maintaining compliance to the limits listed in guidelines, such as the marine law.
That was mostly my way of asking you what are the synthetic guidelines in your own words. You will need to follow them as a synthetic, but I would just like to see your understanding of it.
Clancy 'Danger' Long
Ethan
A̸̧̭̰̮̰̜̥͈̱̲̫̲̭͋̄̈̍̉̓̿̊̃H̸͈̬̗̓̄̒̇̿̀̏̎͑͊̇̃̇͝Ĥ̴̨̧̨̩̞̗̤͝ͅH̴͔͕͊̄̓̐̀͝

Griffith78
Byond: Griffith78

Post by Griffith78 » 16 Oct 2018, 07:53

Excellent app, and a good player too.

+1
Donald Weinstein

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Post by Jakkkk » 16 Oct 2018, 18:16

Not gonna leave a definite +1 or -1, the application is extremely average. That's it, average. Nothing about this application impresses me or interests me, it just seems very mundane. No offense to you personally.

Also, why is your only +1 from a guy with only 1 post?
Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Sleepy Retard
Byond: ElDefaultio
Steam: Fat Rigatoni

Post by Sleepy Retard » 16 Oct 2018, 18:20

A huge problem with this application is that, like, it's worded really

really

really fucking poorly

"I believe I would make a decent synth at worst."
"For acting/quirk, Walther will have a tendency to bring up the fragility/mortality of humans more often than necessary, in uncomfortable ways"

i wont give my rating yet, but tbh chief this aint it so far. its just a really average app, and the only reason you've really given to whitelist you is to make low pop slighty better
Image I was a Synth Councilmen, alongside Jakkk, MattAtlas, SovietKitty and Omicega.

Have any questions or concerns about Synthetic? PM me on the forums, or contact me on the CM discord under the name sleepy#1984 with the nickname Sleepy Retard.

MattAtlas

Post by MattAtlas » 17 Oct 2018, 06:09

I'm gonna sit on a solid neutral for now. Nothing really... impresses me, so to speak. I've seen you in game but you've never stuck out much.

I'll see if you get more feedback, but for now I don't feel inclined to -1 or +1 this app.
I'm part of the Synthetic Council with ThesoldierLLJK and Jakkkk. Feel free to DM me on the forums or Discord (Matt#5881) if you have any questions about synths.

VortexGaming
Byond: VortexGaming

Post by VortexGaming » 19 Oct 2018, 10:49

Alright so 2/5 of the Synth council are on neutral and 3/5 have voiced their opinion's yet, The app isnt bad but it isnt exactly "good" either as said its just pretty noticeable about it so im going to try and break the ice on this one.
In the middle of a mutiny you see a Dead MP and a dead PFC earlier the PFC was kind enough to give you a pocket knife when you deployed for protection, Who do you treat first.

You are treating a marine and a medic pop's in and starts treating him and ending up OD'ing him. What do you do.

A predator tells you to attack a Xenomorph to prove yourself worthy to him. What do you do?

(these are all problems I have faced in my time as synth and I would like to see your answers to them and they will sway the balance between -1 or +1 for me)
Kaitlynn Lawson The Commander. http://www.cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
Alicia:viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17406
Staff history
► Show Spoiler

ThesoldierLLJK
Byond: ThesoldierLLJK
Steam: thesoldier20

Post by ThesoldierLLJK » 19 Oct 2018, 11:17

I'm kinda neutral but waiting to see your answers to vortex before giving my Bennett seal of approval/disapproval

Madventurer

Post by Madventurer » 20 Oct 2018, 12:02

VortexGaming wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 10:49
In the middle of a mutiny you see a Dead MP and a dead PFC earlier the PFC was kind enough to give you a pocket knife when you deployed for protection, Who do you treat first.
The Military Police: They uphold the Marine Law which synthetics are programmed to obey without exception, so this is the logical course of action.
The fact that the PFC gave me a pocket knife doesn't have much bearing, as a synth may feel thankful for it, but won't let the emotions affect the judgement.
Furthermore, Military Police are fewer than Privates, not to mention higher ranked, so thus are more important for the continued operations of the vessel.

Of course, I will revive and stabilize both instead of prioritizing having one in top health, and everything I said above is ignored if I know that either of them died a rather long time ago and may become unreviveable soon.
VortexGaming wrote:
You are treating a marine and a medic pop's in and starts treating him and ending up OD'ing him. What do you do.
I would advise the medic to cease and focus on other patients, as he made a rather notable mistake. Assuming he complies, dealing with the OD would be doable and the next course of action.
If the medic keeps attempting to treat, I would shift my priorities to anything that doesn't involve adding further chemicals, as that would be a poor choice when someone is already doing it.
If the treatment from the medic is an utter failure and the medic hostile and uncooperative, it would be my duty to help the injured marine and ensure he gets proper treatment, by subduing but NOT harming the medic. This would be preceded by many verbal warnings about his course of action being harmful.
VortexGaming wrote:
A predator tells you to attack a Xenomorph to prove yourself worthy to him. What do you do?
Ignore him. There is no reason whatsoever to do as he says.
In the unlikely scenario of him attacking me after this, I would defend myself to the best of my ability while attempting to disengage or end the fight, assuming I don't need to stay where I am for a pressing reason.

VortexGaming

Post by VortexGaming » 20 Oct 2018, 12:26

Madventurer wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 12:02
The Military Police: They uphold the Marine Law which synthetics are programmed to obey without exception, so this is the logical course of action.
The fact that the PFC gave me a pocket knife doesn't have much bearing, as a synth may feel thankful for it, but won't let the emotions affect the judgment.
Furthermore, Military Police are fewer than Privates, not to mention higher ranked, so thus are more important for the continued operations of the vessel.

Of course, I will revive and stabilize both instead of prioritizing having one in top health, and everything I said above is ignored if I know that either of them died a rather long time ago and may become unreviveable soon.

I would advise the medic to cease and focus on other patients, as he made a rather notable mistake. Assuming he complies, dealing with the OD would be doable and the next course of action.
If the medic keeps attempting to treat, I would shift my priorities to anything that doesn't involve adding further chemicals, as that would be a poor choice when someone is already doing it.
If the treatment from the medic is an utter failure and the medic hostile and uncooperative, it would be my duty to help the injured marine and ensure he gets proper treatment, by subduing but NOT harming the medic. This would be preceded by many verbal warnings about his course of action being harmful.

Ignore him. There is no reason whatsoever to do as he says.
In the unlikely scenario of him attacking me after this, I would defend myself to the best of my ability while attempting to disengage or end the fight, assuming I don't need to stay where I am for a pressing reason.
Alright, two and three are good, but 1 is worded REALLY fucking poorly as you say "As a synth may feel thankful for it, but won't let the emotions affect the judgment" kinda is shooting yourself in the FOOT. Synths don't have emotions. Also you say you would treat both but who would you prioritize because you can only revive one at a time.
Kaitlynn Lawson The Commander. http://www.cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
Staff history
► Show Spoiler

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Post by Jakkkk » 20 Oct 2018, 13:05

Yeah I'm not going to encourage bare minimum, extremely average applications.

Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 20 Oct 2018, 14:20

Jakkkk wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 13:05

just this
Image I was a Synth Councilmen, alongside Jakkk, MattAtlas, SovietKitty and Omicega.

Have any questions or concerns about Synthetic? PM me on the forums, or contact me on the CM discord under the name sleepy#1984 with the nickname Sleepy Retard.

Madventurer

Post by Madventurer » 20 Oct 2018, 15:45

VortexGaming wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 12:26
Alright, two and three are good, but 1 is worded REALLY fucking poorly as you say "As a synth may feel thankful for it, but won't let the emotions affect the judgment" kinda is shooting yourself in the FOOT. Synths don't have emotions. Also you say you would treat both but who would you prioritize because you can only revive one at a time.
The synthetic guidelines explicitly mentioned that synthetics have emotions, if only simulated ones. Unless you count that they suddenly changed to not mention anything about it.
My answer also includes the priority, at the very start.

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 20 Oct 2018, 15:47

Madventurer wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:45
The synthetic guidelines explicitly mentioned that synthetics have emotions, if only simulated ones. Unless you count that they suddenly changed to not mention anything about it.
" Though they are able to show emotions such as fear, sadness, and anger, these are only on the surface and never affect the decision-making process. "

Showing emotions =/= having them

Madventurer

Post by Madventurer » 20 Oct 2018, 15:50

El Defaultio wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:47
" Though they are able to show emotions such as fear, sadness, and anger, these are only on the surface and never affect the decision-making process. "

Showing emotions =/= having them
The only thing I have left to say on this is that during ingame roleplay, the difference is mostly semantic definition and the exact wording may have come out wrong.

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 20 Oct 2018, 15:51

Madventurer wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:50
The only thing I have left to say on this is that during ingame roleplay, the difference is mostly semantic definition and the exact wording may have come out wrong.
That's fine. Semantics doesn't make your application anything more or less than average, so you can pretty much just ignore Vortex on this.

MattAtlas

Post by MattAtlas » 20 Oct 2018, 15:53

Jakkkk wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 13:05

Yeah afraid I'm gonna have to echo Jakkkk on this one. Gonna switch my vote to -1. I'm sure you can do better next time if you can get a better quirk going, however.

VortexGaming

Post by VortexGaming » 20 Oct 2018, 18:37

Madventurer wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:45
Aight so ", as a synth may feel thankful for it, but won't let the emotions affect the judgment." you say that as if the synthetic actually has emotions, They only replicate it. The wording is key as a synthetic as they are primarily a communication-based role when roleplaying. "Of course, I will revive and stabilize both instead of prioritizing having one in top health, and everything I said above is ignored if I know that either of them died a rather long time ago and may become unreviveable soon." At first it leads you to believe you would treat the MP first but then you say this. You have very poor wording for things in General. -1 chief Sorry bud
Staff history
► Show Spoiler

Emeraldblood
Byond: Emerald Blood

Post by Emeraldblood » 28 Oct 2018, 18:17

Resolved - Denied
Ban Appeal Users: If I've lifted your perma ban and you're still unable to log onto the server, send me a forum PM regarding it and I'll work to get it fixed in ~24 hours.

Emerald Blood: CM's mommy and the only head staff who does anything. Even though I hate you all sometimes, I still love you.