Braun - Synthetic Application

Sakuyoi
Byond: Sakuyoi

Braun - Synthetic Application

Post by Sakuyoi » 09 Dec 2018, 23:03

Byond ID:

Sakuyoi

Marine Name (so we know who you are; if you play alien mostly, state that here):

Ferdinand Braun. I play xeno, mostly drone caste. I have some experience playing queen too.

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you’re requesting to use (Follows common naming rules, and requires a first name with no last name):

Braun

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines (http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 57&t=14417)? :

Yes. I've read the guidelines carefully and would never try to break it.

Synthetic Character Story (An ADEQUATE description and story of your Synthetics actions and involvement in a previous mission onboard the Almayer):
► Show Spoiler
How do you intend to play your Synth (as in, describe HOW you will act/play your Synth and what support roles you’ll mainly focus on, what is your synthetics quirk)?

Medical. I've really liked the idea of always going planetside when im a medical researcher to perform operations. Probably field sugeries if i get a permission from the CO or other command staff. But i can always fill other roles. My quirk is Cheery and intellectual.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)

Medical:

I know most all chem recipes without opening the wiki. Able to perform multiple surgeries at once to save time. Proficient in field surgery in which i dont give my patients necrosis anymore. Also im able to identify in whether to perform operations or not which has become a problem(since some docs operate when an alien is just one wall away) Also i play medic effectively, im always the last one who gets picked off since i just stay at the back of the front ready to medicate.

Security:

Im able to do standard arrest procedures. i can always open the wiki for marine law to know the duration since i dont play MP that much. but i know the times in minimal charges. And when i should arrest someone for something.

Engineering:

Made lots of FOB and fixing APCs playing engineer and could make wire connections for grilles and power. Able to dislodge vents, Fix Generators. I know how to use Powerloaders to help out PO's in attaching equipment to the dropships for CAS or anything external. I can also load the OB.

Command:

Played some SO and XO and know how to overwatch, send supply drops and fire the OB. Can do announcements. I do also know how to fly the dropships in the consoles or even remote. Basic command stuff.

Requisitions:

Able to order crates and give out attachments to marines that need them. I've played RO and CT. I can make any basic supply crates and load them in the supply drop tubes in a whim and having no problem whatsoever.

Why should we whitelist you?

Given that the synth is a support role. I think i'd fit in this role since im quite the person who runs out of anything to do and sometimes i want to help people out when they're having a hard time in which why i made this application. I have 200-300ms and its the reason why i just play support role and never shoot things.
Also since i live in asia which is sometimes lowpop in afternoon and night. I could easily take over and fill roles that are needed if im a synth.
Also i think i could help new players as synth because the synth knows everything. And IC wise i could help them out without using OOC. (because sometimes people feel like when you say something in OOC its rude.)

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason (we will check, and lies may result in immediate denial)?

No. I have no experiences of getting banned in the server.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?

No. I just play CM.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?

Yes i do.
Rsr - Ferdinand Braun - Best Bald Doc you'll ever see
I just play medical since ping is 100+.

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Re: Braun - Synthetic Application

Post by Jakkkk » 09 Dec 2018, 23:07

Is English your native language?
Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Sakuyoi

Post by Sakuyoi » 09 Dec 2018, 23:09

Jakkkk wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 23:07
Is English your native language?
Well i live in the philippines. So its my Second language. But i think i've become bad in grammar recently.

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Post by Jakkkk » 09 Dec 2018, 23:25

Let's start off this application review with the positives.

-Your formatting is really creative and appealing, I like it a lot. Most people usually leave it as the normal or make it stupidly colorful, but you did a good job for formatting your application in an interesting way.

-Your OOC character from what I've seen is a pretty laidback medical main, and whenever I see you in medical I can trust that the round will run smoothly from that perspective. I have no doubts of your in game knowledge when it comes to the support roles, and that is something that I cannot say for everyone who applies for synthetic. Also you haven't been banned before and that is always a good thing.

Now with the negatives.

-I dislike it when people name their synthetics after themselves, to me it means a lack of creativity for creating a new identity.

-The whole backstory for your synthetic doesn't make sense to me. There is this amazing, flawless doctor named Ferdinand Braun, your character, who wants to take a vacation and his CE buddy hears about this. They meet up and talk about replacing him with a dumpster synthetic while they are away, while transferring all of his medical knowledge to the synthetic. This is where I am confused, you describe it as if they got all of Ferdinand's medical knowledge, slapped it on a floppy disk, then inserted it into a synthetic. Synthetic's are incredibly delicate and hard to work upon, the reason there are no bootleg synthetic's is because it is such an incredibly hard task to create and alter a synthetic. The CE of the Almayer definitely wouldn't know how to work on synthetic's, let alone build one from the ground up. After Ferdinand get's shot and is put on leave, and the Almayer gets invaded, Braun is activated and then... cliffhangar? This leads me into my next point.

-We know NOTHING about how Braun will act besides being a carbon copy of your character, Ferdinand Braun, and that he is really into medical. That's it. No personality differences or how they speak or anything, all I can imagine is you walking around as Braun, and acting the exact same way as your other character. Creating a synthetic is creating a new identity, a synthetic is such a drastic change from any human character that it's absurd to try and relate them to any of your other characters. Braun will not have feelings, Braun will not sincerely care over the wellbeing of people, Braun will simply be a machine that follows programming and actions, he will be nothing like Ferdinand and that's the part I think you messed up on. You're trying to embody Ferdinand into a robot but it doesn't work like that.

-Medical is not a quirk, or a playstyle.

-Your personality, "cheery and intellectual", is just Ferdinand Braun embodied into a robot body.

This is all I can picture from the way you describe Braun to be.

All in all, -1. You have the IC competence and roleplaying down, you just need to understand what synthetics are about, and have an idea of how you will play a synthetic.
Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Sakuyoi

Post by Sakuyoi » 09 Dec 2018, 23:53

Jakkkk wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 23:25
Let's start off this application review with the positives.

-Your formatting is really creative and appealing, I like it a lot. Most people usually leave it as the normal or make it stupidly colorful, but you did a good job for formatting your application in an interesting way.

-Your OOC character from what I've seen is a pretty laidback medical main, and whenever I see you in medical I can trust that the round will run smoothly from that perspective. I have no doubts of your in game knowledge when it comes to the support roles, and that is something that I cannot say for everyone who applies for synthetic. Also you haven't been banned before and that is always a good thing.

Now with the negatives.

-I dislike it when people name their synthetics after themselves, to me it means a lack of creativity for creating a new identity.

-The whole backstory for your synthetic doesn't make sense to me. There is this amazing, flawless doctor named Ferdinand Braun, your character, who wants to take a vacation and his CE buddy hears about this. They meet up and talk about replacing him with a dumpster synthetic while they are away, while transferring all of his medical knowledge to the synthetic. This is where I am confused, you describe it as if they got all of Ferdinand's medical knowledge, slapped it on a floppy disk, then inserted it into a synthetic. Synthetic's are incredibly delicate and hard to work upon, the reason there are no bootleg synthetic's is because it is such an incredibly hard task to create and alter a synthetic. The CE of the Almayer definitely wouldn't know how to work on synthetic's, let alone build one from the ground up. After Ferdinand get's shot and is put on leave, and the Almayer gets invaded, Braun is activated and then... cliffhangar? This leads me into my next point.

-We know NOTHING about how Braun will act besides being a carbon copy of your character, Ferdinand Braun, and that he is really into medical. That's it. No personality differences or how they speak or anything, all I can imagine is you walking around as Braun, and acting the exact same way as your other character. Creating a synthetic is creating a new identity, a synthetic is such a drastic change from any human character that it's absurd to try and relate them to any of your other characters. Braun will not have feelings, Braun will not sincerely care over the wellbeing of people, Braun will simply be a machine that follows programming and actions, he will be nothing like Ferdinand and that's the part I think you messed up on. You're trying to embody Ferdinand into a robot but it doesn't work like that.

-Medical is not a quirk, or a playstyle.

-Your personality, "cheery and intellectual", is just Ferdinand Braun embodied into a robot body.

This is all I can picture from the way you describe Braun to be.

All in all, -1. You have the IC competence and roleplaying down, you just need to understand what synthetics are about, and have an idea of how you will play a synthetic.
Seeing the opinion on how i would play as synth i think i was in the wrong here not making the story complete.. The cliffhanger after the UPP attack. Which i cut since i thought the story is really long now. In the End of the UPP attack my synthetic IC was made sure by the CE that my Synth act the opposite of the Researcher since he made a bad name because my Human IC wish to be liked by people. Not be hated. Thus the cheery and intellectual Quirk.

Also i think in the quirk thing i kind of probably misunderstood it a bit. I think i would play how my synthetic as the opposite of the human IC. My Human IC always goes down without permission and does a good job doing it. Always snobs people calls them stupid. While my synthetic will be the opposite of that. The synth will be easy to communicate to ICly. He will get permission because of the synth program opposed to the Human IC that doesnt do that. Lets just say that this synth will be the better braun which my human character cant do. Even if he doesnt feel. I guess ill edit that.

Regarding on the repairing of the synth i didnt have an idea it was that complicated. Sorry.

[EDITED]
Also seeing how synths play. I do quite know how they act ICly. Since I've been pouring hours in the game mostly everyday. I hope this helps.

Solarmare
Byond: Solarmare

Post by Solarmare » 11 Dec 2018, 00:11

I don't mind what you name your synthetic or what you have your quirk as, as long as both are actually reasonable.
The main issue with with your story is that you don't display your synthetics quirk and it shows you might not necessarily understand how they work, but jakkkk's already pointed out anything specific there.
The other issue with you specifically is you have a number of recent enough warnings, including two in the last week which you should be well aware of for synth as one was rooted in marine law and the other server rules. I'm going with a -1 until you go without causing issues as a player before this seems worth accepting.
You should manage this whitelist in the future if you don't cause trouble on the server and mind whatever people are giving as feedback here at least.
Can you heeeeaaaaar am I floating in my tin can. A last glimpse of the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do.

Forum Rule #2: Do NOT post in an appeal if you are not contributing as a witness, if you are keep it simple and easy to read.

MattAtlas
Byond: MattAtlas

Post by MattAtlas » 11 Dec 2018, 04:32

It's important for a story to show us what your synthetic acts like-- that's the main thing I look for in a story and unfortunately you neglected this part of your app.

I also feel like your synth is just a carbon copy of Ferdinand. Even the story paints this to be the case-- what with the knowledge transfer and the name being the same as your character's last name. Not something that jives well with me.

Gonna be a -1 buddy. I know you can do better, look at the accepted apps, look for help in #whitelist-apps, and apply again in 2 months.
I'm part of the Synthetic Council with ThesoldierLLJK and Jakkkk. Feel free to DM me on the forums or Discord (Matt#5881) if you have any questions about synths.

ThesoldierLLJK
Byond: ThesoldierLLJK
Steam: thesoldier20

Post by ThesoldierLLJK » 11 Dec 2018, 07:21

I do not have an issue with him using the name Braun because we have had other synths use a name based on their marine name (IE: Zane)

That being said, I don't have issues with the story or the quirk, but I do have an issue with what Solar pointed out.

I know you can RP, but at the same time you gotta have good behavior as well

Neutral

KingPhilipIII
Byond: KingPhilipIII
Steam: KingPhilip128

Post by KingPhilipIII » 11 Dec 2018, 11:34

I have no issue with your naming convention, like Soldier said, other folks have done it, and I know you're a very competent player, but I really don't think I've had all that much interaction with you. I think I've ordered a few surgery crates for you tops? That ones not exactly your fault though.

Your story is interesting from a few perspectives but doesn't really supply a proper image of your synth. Maybe you just got sidetracked with your theme and missed the intent, which I'm guilty of too sometimes, but it tells me you're linguistically competent.

I'm going to have to -1 you here, rewrite your story and keep your nose clean and I'm sure you won't have any issues in a few months when you reapply.
Image Thanks to Okand for the chibi muhrine!
Haythem Aurelius Castian
Box pusher, Box Pusher Supreme and Pyromaniac.
Unashamed Queen Main
Mentor:July 31st, 2018

Sakuyoi

Post by Sakuyoi » 11 Dec 2018, 17:16

Solarmare wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 00:11
I don't mind what you name your synthetic or what you have your quirk as, as long as both are actually reasonable.
The main issue with with your story is that you don't display your synthetics quirk and it shows you might not necessarily understand how they work, but jakkkk's already pointed out anything specific there.
The other issue with you specifically is you have a number of recent enough warnings, including two in the last week which you should be well aware of for synth as one was rooted in marine law and the other server rules. I'm going with a -1 until you go without causing issues as a player before this seems worth accepting.
You should manage this whitelist in the future if you don't cause trouble on the server and mind whatever people are giving as feedback here at least.
Most of them are honest mistakes but ill try to learn more in the future. Especially those roles that i got warnings is the ones i dont play that much (except for the CMO warning)
KingPhilipIII wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 11:34
I have no issue with your naming convention, like Soldier said, other folks have done it, and I know you're a very competent player, but I really don't think I've had all that much interaction with you. I think I've ordered a few surgery crates for you tops? That ones not exactly your fault though.

Your story is interesting from a few perspectives but doesn't really supply a proper image of your synth. Maybe you just got sidetracked with your theme and missed the intent, which I'm guilty of too sometimes, but it tells me you're linguistically competent.

I'm going to have to -1 you here, rewrite your story and keep your nose clean and I'm sure you won't have any issues in a few months when you reapply.
Yeah i think i got sidetracked since i kind of want to make a unique story. Ill just try my app in the next months.

Emeraldblood
Byond: Emerald Blood

Post by Emeraldblood » 11 Dec 2018, 17:38

Because English isn't your native language, it may help to use the whitelist app help channel on the CM Discord. Your quirk is very simple and way too broad to really be a quirk. While we're not asking for gimmick quirks that involve accents and dabbing after every line, you need a quirk that's more descriptive than just, "Cheery." Good luck with your future app and don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas here and there.

Resolved - Denied
Ban Appeal Users: If I've lifted your perma ban and you're still unable to log onto the server, send me a forum PM regarding it and I'll work to get it fixed in ~24 hours.

Emerald Blood: CM's mommy and the only head staff who does anything. Even though I hate you all sometimes, I still love you.