Taketheshot56's Moderator Application

taketheshot56
Byond: taketheshot56

Taketheshot56's Moderator Application

Post by taketheshot56 » 11 May 2018, 04:45

Byond ID: Taketheshot56

Colonial Marines Character: Patton 'Hardtack' Moore

Timezone: Pacific Standard Time

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate? I do work and attend university so my schedule during the week is somewhat cluttered, I usually get at least 5-8 hours on a weekday and most of my weekend is spent on CM when not out with friends. On average I would be able to see an easy 30-40 hours a week.

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)? Yes I was a trial moderator here a few months back.

Did you play any of the previous Colonial Marine servers? Negative. Unless you count the sully.

What are the 3 biggest servers you play on besides CM? Ive only ever played CM and one round or two of paradise.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
My Accepted CO App - viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15868
My Accepted Synth App - viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16211
My Previous Moderator App - viewtopic.php?f=69&t=16482

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where? I am not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines? No I have not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for? No I have not.

Are you familiar with the chat program Slack (its use is required)? Yes I am indeed familiar with slack.

Common Staff Situations:
Write a description of what you would do in each of the following situations. Do not write on the same line as the situation - use the space below it or make space as needed. Failure to do this proves your inability to follow instructions and your application will be automatically denied.

1. A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
Upon seeing this situation I would PM player asking them to explain the situation while I assess the damage. Usually within a few minutes they have been cuffed and are on their way to the brig by the MPs and the person shot is receiving treatment. Now this is the important part, how many rounds were fired? Why? It is important to get both sides of the story, was there a simple mislick (we've all done it) where they fired an m39 round into the back of a fellow marine? Or did the marine in question empty an entire magazine of m41 rounds into this player. All information that needs to be gathered and assessed. I will proceed to try and get the marine wounded an aheal so they can continue their round.

The next step I would take is looking through the players notes, looking for previous incidents that might make sense in this situation. Is them shooting up a marine at briefing common? Or is this just a mistake? If it was a mistake and the players note history shows him as a model player I would let them off with a warning and tell them to make sure to switch the safety on when on ship while applying a note. If the notes tell otherwise however, I would escalate the punishment where required. If the player maliciously shot the other player and has a history of doing so I would apply a note and perhaps even a short ban if the situation required it.

2. The ship has a breach to space and a bunch of players have died or are dying as a result.
My first course of action would be to repair the breach in question in order to prevent more from dying, I am not quite sure if atmos breach is grounds for any aheal. Once the breach is sealed I would begin to search for the culprit who caused this, was it the DS? Was it a cheeky pred blowing up in hangar? Or was it a player who blatantly ignored the no atmos fuckery rule? The key to this is investigation, if the culprit was indeed some marine who decided to blow a hole in the ship and question him at length, at minimum this would require a very heavy warning and a note, if they were a model player, and a short ban for atmos fuckery depending on their notes.

3. You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost.
I would PM asking if they were new and link them the quick start guide for marines, the next step would be to summon a mentor to hopefully get this crewie geared up and ready to fight. If there are no mentors available I would be more than happy to assist this player in getting familiar, god knows it took me 30 mins to get dressed on my first round of CM.

4. A player is being very rude to you in Adminhelps and requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
I would try and calm the player explaining to them that I am doing my best. I would also remind them that they are not entitled to speak to a staff of their choosing and that being rude in ahelps is against the rules.

5. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that: They've used the name for several years, no one has told them to change it before, and that they didn't know it was a rule.
Unfortunately this is a situation nobody wants, it harms the players reputation to have to start a new character and it pains me to have to make them do it, but the rules are the rules. However I would look into the name in question, was the name from a movie that came out two months ago while the character is 3 years old? Perhaps some leeway can be reached and of course contact would be made with higher ups to gain their insight into the situation. If it is a name that is clearly popular like Pladamir Vutin, I would ask them to change at the next lobby and apply a note to their account.

6. You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
The key here is observation, I have actually done this IG before, I was ordered by the CO to move spare gear from hangar to req, and of course the quickest way was to equip it and sprint to req to drop it off. However if this is some MT who is not doing any task and just wandering around geared up like a marine, I would SM them explaining perhaps it would be best to go back to their work, if they continue to passively wander in armor I would SM an MP at most, this is an IC issue and as long as they are not doing anything against the rules, it should be handled in IC.

7. You see a Squad Medic performing surgery on the planet. He claims it was because there were no doctors in the FOB.
I would PM them explaining that despite their vast medical knowledge and care for marines, surgery MUST be done by the doctors and not by a medic, I would ask them to close the wound and would proceed to warn them and record the incident. Of course with the skills system this isn't possible anymore.

8. The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
I would attempt to SM either the queen or the CO and explain that they feel they must destroy the enemy, beyond SMing there is not much I can do to resolve this situation and no one likes stagnating rounds. I would most likely contact a higher up staff member to gain their assistance.

9. The round ends, a MARINE starts shooting a hostile IRON BEAR and the IRON BEAR Adminhelps complaining he was killed after the round ended.
Engaging with hostile forces is fine, I would explain to the Iron bear that what happened was not against the rules and unless the marine generated friendly combat logs I would let the situation go, if the marine however shot up some marines while killing the iron bear I would apply a note and an EORG ban.

10. A marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start.
The roundstart crackdown ended awhile back, although it still exists for major events. Regardless, If the marine in question does so to the level that it begins to completely disrupt briefing, I would PM him and explain that his actions need to stop and applying a note, if continues it might have to be elevated to a short three hour ban should it majorly disrupt the round.

11. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him.
The marine has been killed so number one this is no possible accident, one punch from a marine because you called him a name, does not give you the ability to raise your rifle and waste him. I would investigate and try to see if proper escalation was followed, but by seeing it was a punch vs a killing shot with a firearm it is clear its most likely not. I would apply a note and depending on the players history perhaps a short ban for the improper escalation. I would then try to get an aheal for the dead marine.

12. An issue arises that requires Admin+ abilities.
I would get on slack to ask for an admin, assuming there isnt one in game at the time. If there is one in game I would PM them alerting them to the issue if they have not begun working on the issue already.

13. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
Minor racism, as I believe is allowed so long as it is not blatantly horrid. I would set the player at ease explaining this is the marine corps and that people are going to have offensive opinions. Nonetheless if the comments warrant it I would SM the player spouting the comments to settle down. If the comments become a widespread thing and it begins to affect the round adversely I would explain in OOC that the racist jokes need to end.

14. A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
This is blatant grief and it pisses everyone off, I would gather logs and witness statements from the situation at hand trying to gauge exactly what happened. Messaging the offender is not possible as they have logged off. I would begin to try and get aheals for the affected players and would apply a note and three day ban to the griefer depending on their history i might file for perma if this is a common occurrence. But most likely this is one off griefer and he wont be back. I would also check his CID key and IP if permabanning him and to see if he is related to any other grief incidents.

15. You see a player playing a xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines and die.
I would contact the player asking him what his explanation was? Was he trying to escape from a tight spot having bursted in between marines, confused and disoriented, or did he burst in the nest sprinting for the front lines. If it was the latter I would warn the player and apply a note, and if this is a common occurrence I would apply a xeno ban.

16. You see a xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat.
I would PM the player explaining they need to stop their meming in hive chat, I know staff has taken a stance against this in recent months. If they stop I would apply a note to their account and leave it at that. However if they persist and continue to spam memes I would possibly apply a three hour ban adding the incident to their account.

17. A xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different xeno player complains to you that it's metagaming/failRP to call it a "dropship".
I PM the player who ahelpled and explain that the hivechat is a manifestation of xeno thought and calling the shuttle the dropship is allowed in the rules and is perfectly fine to do.

18. A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet.
I would PM them explaining they have ZERO idea of the xeno threat and explain they need to cease this behavior and apply a note. If they continue or if this was a common occurrence I would perhaps apply a command job ban for this tomfoolery. I would then make an OOC comment reminding the marines that they know nothing of the aliens and tell them to ignore what the Command staff member said.

19. A Marine kills another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself.
You are in the dark, hissing surrounds you as blood curdling screams echo through the ship, at the end of the hall you see it, your squad medic beckoning you to get in the LAST SPOT of the pod, you sprint over and are about to board, but then you see him, the delta marine jumps in and takes the spot, without hesitation you raise your rifle and fire round after round into him tossing his body to the hunter just on your heels and hitting the launch button.

Evac is extremely stressful for marines, as noted in other applications I have seen it is completely acceptable for a marine to kill or maim to save himself, this is a human life we are talking about, a drowning man will drown another to try and escape, it is basic survival instincts. I would actually leave this issue in question as IC and let the player go without warning.

20. You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforcing a rule.
I would talk to the staff member in msay and explain to them they gave the wrong information and allow the staff to relay the correct info to the player.

20a. You see a fellow staff member abusing his powers in-game.
The first thing to do is gather evidence, as much as I can as a moderator and save it. I would then take that evidence and present it to a headstaff on slack, if the staff member in question is headstaff I would present it up to Rahl.

21. You see a player talking in OOC chat about what he did with your mom last night.
Ignore it, friendly banter is commonplace on CM and as long as it is not making anyone uncomfortable its fine.

Any additional information you'd like to add?
I can moderate the server at nighttime on weekdays.

Furthermore I wish to build off my last trial, On my first day of trial few months ago, I made a subtle message towards Bill Carson about him being hungry which resulted in a long chain of events that should not have happened and lead to a ban and a player report against Bill. Such actions were explained to me when I failed my trial during the conversation I had with SLC and which I accepted was the correct and understandable response to the situation at hand the subtle message should never have been sent and I take responsibility for that. I've continued to play quite actively over the past few months and would like to once more assist in the moderation of the server.
"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.

WinterClould
Byond: WinterClould
Steam: 『WinterClould』

Re: Taketheshot56's Moderator Application

Post by WinterClould » 11 May 2018, 05:22

If you get accepted again, which I don't see why you shouldn't be, I hope you stay clear of those SM's pal. Safety first and all that.
Chen "DiscoKing" Westinton Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award. My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

taketheshot56

Post by taketheshot56 » 11 May 2018, 05:32

WinterClould wrote:
11 May 2018, 05:22
If you get accepted again, which I don't see why you shouldn't be, I hope you stay clear of those SM's pal. Safety first and all that.
Quite right, I had a long conversation with SLC about them when my trial was ended, t'was a foolish mistake gone too far.

awan
Byond: Awan
Steam: Awan

Post by awan » 11 May 2018, 06:15

I myself do not want to go into the details of your previous trial as I understood it is one mistake and your trial is there to make mistakes.

4. Being rude in an on itself is not technically stated as against the rules. It is not well defined here though how rude they are if they are just entitled or completely disrespectful. For the first I would kill them with kindness myself as everyone has bad days and I do not want to create a conflict for them being emotional. Just my take on it.

After reading most other replies I do not disagree with the way you handle it in procedural things. There are some things you do that I would do in another way but that should not be an issue because like example 4 it is just my personal opinion. Make sure to always tell the other mods if you sm someone as mods do not see sm's.

Because I think the replies are easy to give since we have loads of mods app with examples already I will give you 2 things where I want your opinion on.

An mp has chosen to apply the maximum sentence to a player. The player ahelps and says it is unfair because the mp said in looc he only gave him max sentence because he is a shitter every round. What would you do?

You get 5 alien ahelps asking you if you can replace the queen because they are new. The queen themselves did not ahelp. What do you do?

taketheshot56

Post by taketheshot56 » 11 May 2018, 07:19

awan wrote:
11 May 2018, 06:15
I myself do not want to go into the details of your previous trial as I understood it is one mistake and your trial is there to make mistakes.

4. Being rude in an on itself is not technically stated as against the rules. It is not well defined here though how rude they are if they are just entitled or completely disrespectful. For the first I would kill them with kindness myself as everyone has bad days and I do not want to create a conflict for them being emotional. Just my take on it.

After reading most other replies I do not disagree with the way you handle it in procedural things. There are some things you do that I would do in another way but that should not be an issue because like example 4 it is just my personal opinion. Make sure to always tell the other mods if you sm someone as mods do not see sm's.

Because I think the replies are easy to give since we have loads of mods app with examples already I will give you 2 things where I want your opinion on.

An mp has chosen to apply the maximum sentence to a player. The player ahelps and says it is unfair because the mp said in looc he only gave him max sentence because he is a shitter every round. What would you do?

You get 5 alien ahelps asking you if you can replace the queen because they are new. The queen themselves did not ahelp. What do you do?
1. As per marine law it is up to the arresting officer to decide punishment ranging from minimum to maximum depending on the crime, I would PM both the player and the MP trying to gauge the situation as well as checking logs to see exactly what went down. Making the marines sentence match the crime is perfectly okay if the marine has deserved it IE, aggressive confrontational, screaming every insult under the moon as he's dragged off to brig. What isn't okay however is an MP choosing to base a situation off previous rounds interaction with a character, just because he was a "Shitter" last round does not give the MP an excuse to put him in max if he does not deserve it. Now ultimately if the player deserved max I would refer it to an IC issue, the player got themselves arrested and the MP chose the punishment although I would remind the MP not to base a situation of something that happened in the past. If the marine however had done nothing shitty to deserve such a sentence and the only thing that provoked it was an MPs past experience I would have a word with the MP in question and get him to have the sentence fit the crime. But at the end of the day it is not against the rules to give max time, only recommended to make the sentence fit the crime.

2. Its not against the rules to be new, we've all been there. I would have a word with the queen at first to see what they want to do, id offer to have someone take over if they wanted, or try and get a mentor to help them along with the queen process. The xenos may not like having a queen thats "new" but everyone is new at some point and driving them away by just removing and replacing the queen doesn't help in the long run.

Grimcad
Byond: Grimcad

Post by Grimcad » 11 May 2018, 08:33

In number 2 almost all breaches are worthy of aheals. The exception being a breach to a Predator explosion.

In number 13 any "official" communication between players and staff should be done via PMs not SMs. Especially if you are warning them or asking them to change their behavior.

That said the rest of your answerers are, not surprisingly, pretty good. You had a good grip on what to do as a trial. And I still think you would make a good mod.

+1

driecg36
Byond: driecg36

Post by driecg36 » 11 May 2018, 12:10

Taketheshot is a good, reliable player, and has been since I knew him a year ago.

it's a good app, and the reasons why he didnt pass his last trial were not malicious ones.

+1
Some guy.

Gerald888
Byond: Gerald888
Steam: Gerald6995

Post by Gerald888 » 11 May 2018, 12:17

So taketheshot56... I enjoyed working with you even though you didn't take being a mod serious at all some times. Now if you get accepted again you would need to tighten up your recent behavior, Other than that the app is good and I would like to see you back on the team if you feel you can handle being staff again. Neutral 1

Kavlo
Byond: Kavlo
Steam: Kavlo

Post by Kavlo » 11 May 2018, 12:28

driecg36 wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:10
Taketheshot is a good, reliable player, and has been since I knew him a year ago.

it's a good app, and the reasons why he didnt pass his last trial were not malicious ones.

+1
What Driecg said.

+1
Lochlann Healy the Marine Here's my good ol' dossier!

Mentor : 28th November 2016
Mod : 14th February 2017
Admin : 7th June 2017
Retired : 4th January 2018
Mod : 20th April 2018
Admin : 19th September 2018

Omicega
Byond: Omicega

Post by Omicega » 11 May 2018, 13:17

It hasn't even been two months since your trial fail. We impose a longer time-out than that on synthetic applications, which are not as serious (in my opinion) as staff applications. I think you're reapplying too soon, for one. Awan might say the whole point of a trial is to make mistakes, and practically everyone does make a mistake of some sort over the course of their trial, but the vast majority don't outright fail their trial because of them. I don't buy that as valid reasoning, even if he might.

I feel like there are two sides to you - a sensible side which showed itself during your last trial, and a lower-quality side you seem to enjoy bringing out as a player. Your recent behaviour in game has not impressed me, particularly since your actions as a synthetic almost single-handedly brought about a full announcement in the Discord related to synth robocops.

The other staff might feel your last trial was enough to go on, but I don't. I was on the fence about whether to -1 your initial application, actually, but held off despite the reputation you'd built up with me because the quality of the app was good. By the end of your trial you had changed my mind completely, but that was before I learned that you'd failed it. Since then (and admittedly I haven't seen a whole ton of your gameplay, likely due to timezones) I haven't really liked what I've seen from you as a player.

I play Alicia Parker, Naomi Bowman, and Chloe.

Lumdor
Byond: Lumdor

Post by Lumdor » 11 May 2018, 13:56

Is the reason you put on why you failed your trial period the only reason you failed?
Commander Councilman. Along with Takethehot56, Bancrose, Dr.Lance, and Frans_Feiffer. PM me or any of them for inquiries about Commander.

Commander Bob Shoe | Yautja Kar-Teer

taketheshot56

Post by taketheshot56 » 11 May 2018, 16:05

Omicega wrote:
11 May 2018, 13:17
It hasn't even been two months since your trial fail. We impose a longer time-out than that on synthetic applications, which are not as serious (in my opinion) as staff applications. I think you're reapplying too soon, for one. Awan might say the whole point of a trial is to make mistakes, and practically everyone does make a mistake of some sort over the course of their trial, but the vast majority don't outright fail their trial because of them. I don't buy that as valid reasoning, even if he might.

I feel like there are two sides to you - a sensible side which showed itself during your last trial, and a lower-quality side you seem to enjoy bringing out as a player. Your recent behaviour in game has not impressed me, particularly since your actions as a synthetic almost single-handedly brought about a full announcement in the Discord related to synth robocops.

The other staff might feel your last trial was enough to go on, but I don't. I was on the fence about whether to -1 your initial application, actually, but held off despite the reputation you'd built up with me because the quality of the app was good. By the end of your trial you had changed my mind completely, but that was before I learned that you'd failed it. Since then (and admittedly I haven't seen a whole ton of your gameplay, likely due to timezones) I haven't really liked what I've seen from you as a player.

You make points that I do agree with, the mistakes made during my trial did result in its failure and it is true that the vast majority do not fail their trial. As for the synth issue that was dealt with in the player report and no protocols were broken, nor did I act as a robocop more than other synthetics did. As for the time elapsed not being soon enough, perhaps you are right, should the managers decide they wouldn't like to take me on as a trial again that is their choice to make and will respect it.

Lumdor wrote:
11 May 2018, 13:56
Is the reason you put on why you failed your trial period the only reason you failed?
It was the issue with the SM, a messed up EORG ban and my failure to seek and follow advice from more tenured staff members.

Mizari

Post by Mizari » 12 May 2018, 01:44

Eh I'm hesitant on this to be honest. As Omegica stated, its a bit early to re-apply to become a Moderator. Taking advice as a trial Moderator is a must especially if you hope to pass a trial as we've all done it and have experience in dealing with a variety of issues. Yes trial mods make mistakes and thats what a trial is for but whats to say you've learnt from your mistakes in such a short period of time?

Neutral until you reply.

slc97
Vice Host
Vice Host

Post by slc97 » 12 May 2018, 14:29

Denied. 3 notes in April. Go the rest of May and June without any notes and try again.