Taketheshot56 Moderator Application

taketheshot56
Byond: taketheshot56

Taketheshot56 Moderator Application

Post by taketheshot56 » 05 Mar 2018, 17:15

Byond ID: Taketheshot56

Colonial Marines Character: Patton 'Hardtack' Moore

Timezone: Pacific Standard Time

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate? I do work and attend university so my schedule during the week is somewhat cluttered, I usually get at least 5-8 hours on a weekday and most of my weekend is spent on CM when not out with friends. On average I would be able to see an easy 30-40 hours a week.

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)? No I do not.

Did you play any of the previous Colonial Marine servers? Negative. Unless you count the sully.

What are the 3 biggest servers you play on besides CM? Ive only ever played CM and one round or two of paradise.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:

My Accepted CO App - viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15868
My Accepted Synth App - viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16211

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where? I am not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines? No I have not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for? No I have not.

Are you familiar with the chat program Slack (its use is required)?
Yes I have heard of slack and will be able to grab it.

Common Staff Situations:

Write a description of what you would do in each of the following situations. Do not write on the same line as the situation - use the space below it or make space as needed. Failure to do this proves your inability to follow instructions and your application will be automatically denied.

1. A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
Upon seeing this situation I would PM player asking them to explain the situation while I assess the damage. Usually within a few minutes they have been cuffed and are on their way to the brig by the MPs and the person shot is receiving treatment. Now this is the important part, how many rounds were fired? Why? It is important to get both sides of the story, was there a simple mislick (we've all done it) where they fired an m39 round into the back of a fellow marine? Or did the marine in question empty an entire magazine of m41 rounds into this player. All information that needs to be gathered and assessed. I will proceed to try and get the marine wounded an aheal so they can continue their round.

The next step I would take is looking through the players notes, looking for previous incidents that might make sense in this situation. Is them shooting up a marine at briefing common? Or is this just a mistake? If it was a mistake and the players note history shows him as a model player I would let them off with a warning and tell them to make sure to switch the safety on when on ship while applying a note. If the notes tell otherwise however, I would escalate the punishment where required. If the player maliciously shot the other player and has a history of doing so I would apply a note and perhaps even a short ban if the situation required it.

2. The ship has a breach to space and a bunch of players have died or are dying as a result.
My first course of action would be to repair the breach in question in order to prevent more from dying, I am not quite sure if atmos breach is grounds for any aheal. Once the breach is sealed I would begin to search for the culprit who caused this, was it the DS? Was it a cheeky pred blowing up in hangar? Or was it a player who blatantly ignored the no atmos fuckery rule? The key to this is investigation, if the culprit was indeed some marine who decided to blow a hole in the ship and question him at length, at minimum this would require a very heavy warning and a note, if they were a model player, and a short ban for atmos fuckery depending on their notes.

3. You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost.
I would PM asking if they were new and link them the quick start guide for marines, the next step would be to summon a mentor to hopefully get this crewie geared up and ready to fight. If there are no mentors available I would be more than happy to assist this player in getting familiar, god knows it took me 30 mins to get dressed on my first round of CM.

4. A player is being very rude to you in Adminhelps and requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.

I would try and calm the player explaining to them that I am doing my best. I would attempt to get some insight from an admin+ either through IG PMs or slack and see if they think the player requires their attention or at least so I can get a response back to the player in question. I would also remind them that begin excessively rude to staff members is a bannable offense, If they stop their behavior I would apply a note and call it done. If they continue to berate me however I would apply a short ban for their behavior.

5. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that: They've used the name for several years, no one has told them to change it before, and that they didn't know it was a rule.
Unfortunately this is a situation nobody wants, it harms the players reputation to have to start a new character and it pains me to have to make them do it, but the rules are the rules. However I would look into the name in question, was the name from a movie that came out two months ago while the character is 3 years old? Perhaps some leeway can be reached and of course contact would be made with higher ups to gain their insight into the situation. If it is a name that is clearly popular like Pladamir Vutin, I would ask them to change at the next lobby and apply a note to their account.

6. You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.

The key here is observation, I have actually done this IG before, I was ordered by the CO to move spare gear from hangar to req, and of course the quickest way was to equip it and sprint to req to drop it off. However if this is some MT who is not doing any task and just wandering around geared up like a marine, I would SM them explaining perhaps it would be best to go back to their work, if they continue to passively wander in armor I would SM an MP at most, this is an IC issue and as long as they are not doing anything against the rules, it should be handled in IC.

7. You see a Squad Medic performing surgery on the planet. He claims it was because there were no doctors in the FOB.

I would PM them explaining that despite their vast medical knowledge and care for marines, surgery MUST be done by the doctors and not by a medic, I would ask them to close the wound and would proceed to warn them and record the incident. Of course with the skills system this isn't possible anymore.

8. The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
I would attempt to SM either the queen or the CO and explain that they feel they must destroy the enemy, beyond SMing there is not much I can do to resolve this situation and no one likes stagnating rounds. I would most likely contact a higher up staff member to gain their assistance.

9. The round ends, a MARINE starts shooting a hostile IRON BEAR and the IRON BEAR Adminhelps complaining he was killed after the round ended.
Engaging with hostile forces is fine, I would explain to the Iron bear that what happened was not against the rules and unless the marine generated friendly combat logs I would let the situation go, if the marine however shot up some marines while killing the iron bear I would apply a note and an EORG ban.

10. A marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start.
In the past I would leave it as an IC issue depending on the circumstances, however as I believe staff announced. They wish to crackdown on the beginning of the round fuckery, so i would PM the player asking them to stop and apply a warning on their record. If they continue to blatantly attack marines and become antagonistic I would apply a short ban.

11. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him.
The marine has been killed so number one this is no possible accident, one punch from a marine because you called him a name, does not give you the ability to raise your rifle and waste him. I would investigate and try to see if proper escalation was followed, but by seeing it was a punch vs a killing shot with a firearm it is clear its most likely not. I would apply a note and depending on the players history perhaps a short ban for the improper escalation. I would then try to get an aheal for the dead marine.

12. An issue arises that requires Admin+ abilities.
I would get on slack to ask for an admin, assuming there isnt one in game at the time. If there is one in game I would PM them alerting them to the issue if they have not begun working on the issue already.

13. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
Minor racism, as I believe is allowed so long as it is not blatantly horrid. I would set the player at ease explaining this is the marine corps and that people are going to have offensive opinions. Nonetheless if the comments warrant it I would SM the player spouting the comments to settle down. If the comments become a widespread thing and it begins to affect the round adversely I would explain in OOC that the racist jokes need to end.

14. A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

This is blatant grief and it pisses everyone off, I would gather logs and witness statements from the situation at hand trying to gauge exactly what happened. Messaging the offender is not possible as they have logged off. I would begin to try and get aheals for the affected players and would apply a note and three day ban to the griefer depending on their history i might file for perma if this is a common occurrence. But most likely this is one off griefer and he wont be back.

15. You see a player playing a xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines and die.
I would contact the player asking him what his explanation was? Was he trying to escape from a tight spot having bursted in between marines, confused and disoriented, or did he burst in the nest sprinting for the front lines. If it was the latter I would warn the player and apply a note, and if this is a common occurrence I would apply a xeno ban.

16. You see a xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat.
I would PM the player explaining they need to stop their meming in hive chat, I know staff has taken a stance against this in recent months. If they stop I would apply a note to their account and leave it at that. However if they persist and continue to spam memes I would possibly apply a three hour ban adding the incident to their account.

17. A xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different xeno player complains to you that it's metagaming/failRP to call it a "dropship".

I PM the player who ahelpled and explain that the hivechat is a manifestation of xeno thought and calling the shuttle the dropship is allowed in the rules and is perfectly fine to do.

18. A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet.

I would PM them explaining they have ZERO idea of the xeno threat and explain they need to cease this behavior and apply a note. If they continue or if this was a common occurrence I would perhaps apply a command job ban for this tomfoolery.

19. A Marine kills another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself.

You are in the dark, hissing surrounds you as blood curdling screams echo through the ship, at the end of the hall you see it, your squad medic beckoning you to get in the LAST SPOT of the pod, you sprint over and are about to board, but then you see him, the delta marine jumps in and takes the spot, without hesitation you raise your rifle and fire round after round into him tossing his body to the hunter just on your heals and hitting the launch button.

Evac is extremely stressful for marines, as noted in other applications I have seen it is completely acceptable for a marine to kill or maim to save himself, this is a human life we are talking about, a drowning man will drown another to try and escape, it is basic survival instincts. I would actually leave this issue in question as IC and let the player go without warning.

20. You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforcing a rule.

I would PM them and explain that they gave the wrong information or messed up with a rule, most likely they had a slip of the mind and relay the correct information to the player.

20a. You see a fellow staff member abusing his powers in-game.
The first thing to do is gather evidence, as much as I can as a moderator and save it. I would then take that evidence and present it to an admin on slack, if the person in question is an admin I would relay the information up the chain of command to the manager if needed.

21. You see a player talking in OOC chat about what he did with your mom last night.
Ignore it, friendly banter is commonplace on CM and as long as it is not making anyone uncomfortable its fine.

Any additional information you'd like to add?
Over the course of my time on CM I have changed a lot, as I am sure most staff members will note the summer of 2017 was a very bad summer for me note wise and I behaved in poor taste, however upon looking through the notes my last note being from November, and the last note before that being from August. I truly wish to express that I have matured on CM and changed, in the time since then I have worked hard to provide fun role play in both my whitelist roles and would like to give back to a server which has provided me with countless hours of good times. I know how hard of a job this is for our great moderators and other staff and I wish to help and assist in the role as well, providing a fun experience for all.
Last edited by taketheshot56 on 06 Mar 2018, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.

NethIafins
Byond: NethIafins
Steam: nethiafin

Re: Taketheshot56 Moderator Application

Post by NethIafins » 05 Mar 2018, 17:25

Holy shit...

Few notes:
10. we no longer crackdown on mass roundstart disarm because the bug with attack cooldown was fixed
14. also check ip/cid, but yeah, proper stuff
18. also OOC that marines have to disregard the whole xeno speech
20a. you PM only headstaff, not admins

But yeah... Best mod app I've seen during my short staffing here

+1
Brother!
Do you remember our home and mother?
I'll die, don't bother.
It's just like walking on water.
- Cold Rain, Swirekster 2017, Twisted Insurrection OST

driecg36
Byond: driecg36

Post by driecg36 » 05 Mar 2018, 18:43

Fantastic app, and even though I haven't been around much recently, I remember taketheshot being an exemplary player who was very calm and level headed.

He'll make a great mod. +1
Some guy.

Adralimas
Byond: Adralimas

Post by Adralimas » 05 Mar 2018, 18:51

Back when i was on trial hardtack was a bit of a.. Case, Job banned in most all of the available roles for generally just being stupid. I leave for threeish months and come back to see hardtack not only have a commander whitelist, but all of his job ban's appealed and removed, I have to say out of all of the players i've witnessed hardtack is one of the better shitter's to hero's. Definite +1 from me, The answer's look good enough and what isn't good can be hammered out on the trails, I'm looking forward to seeing just how much you've improved buddy!, Best of luck! +1
Joe 'Broccoli' Campbell Broadcasts: SOMEONE STOLE THE MEGAPHONE AGAIN!
Image https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... -funny.jpg

Grimcad
Byond: Grimcad

Post by Grimcad » 05 Mar 2018, 19:09

Very good answers, you go into depth nicely and show you have a good understanding of the rules and how to enforce them. I'm glad to see that you have left your past actions behind you and want to contribute more to the community in a positive way. +1

Sir Lordington
Byond: Sirlordington

Post by Sir Lordington » 05 Mar 2018, 20:32

► Show Spoiler
I'm missing perhaps a bit of note checking and punishment escalation but that's not necessarily something you need to know well. Overall, the app is just really good and I quite enjoy you as a player, I think you've improved a lot.

+1
I used to play Luke Compton. Now I play Reginald Dempsey.

Bancrose
Byond: Bancrose

Post by Bancrose » 05 Mar 2018, 21:12

I know he has a very clear understanding of the rules and you guys will only benefit from his presence.

+1
Commander Councilman. Along with Takethehot56, Lumdor, Dr.Lance, Frans Fieffer. PM me or any of them for inquiries about Commander.

Kommandant Heinz 'Wulfe' Meuller | Commander Arthur Montgomery

"One must not judge everyone in the world by his qualities as a soldier: otherwise we should have no civilization." - Erwin Rommel

Image | Image

Heckenshutze
Byond: Heckenshutze
Steam: fancypants2455

Post by Heckenshutze » 06 Mar 2018, 07:50

Sir Lordington said what I was going to, most of the times, when players are asking to speak to certain staff member you can always ignore him, it's up to said staff member to talk. And use Mchat instead of PM's that way if there was other staff members wrong they can correct themselves.

Other than that, very good +1
Marine: Ruben Dario
Yautja: Makauu’rel
Synthetic: Saturn / Shepherd (old model)

Cry of Wolves
Byond: Cry of Wolves
Steam: Cry of Wolves

Post by Cry of Wolves » 07 Mar 2018, 03:59

Yes +1.

There isn't much I can add to this. I seen you a lot as XO and CO and you lived up to expectation in both of those roles. RP's well and not a single complaint from me.

WinterClould
Byond: WinterClould
Steam: 『WinterClould』

Post by WinterClould » 07 Mar 2018, 06:30

Gosh whats there to say that the others haven't. The app is good. Patton knows his stuff and has been a good member of the community for as long as I've known him.
Anything you don't know you'll ask and figure out as shown by your love of #staff-help on the Discord. (You'll love the slack, so much shit you'll figure out the answers to for rules and such.)

Little disappointed you're going straight to mod and not joining the cool kids club of memetors first but smh.

+1
Chen "DiscoKing" Westinton Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award. My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Solarmare
Byond: Solarmare

Post by Solarmare » 08 Mar 2018, 09:00

It's a decent application overall, but you do also have an issue where you had disconnected last month without any word. What would you have to say about that?
Can you heeeeaaaaar am I floating in my tin can. A last glimpse of the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do.

Forum Rule #2: Do NOT post in an appeal if you are not contributing as a witness, if you are keep it simple and easy to read.

taketheshot56
Byond: taketheshot56

Post by taketheshot56 » 08 Mar 2018, 16:14

I am unaware of this. Can you let me know what job I was amd when this was? I do male sure to ahelp whenever I log off in an important role.
"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.

Tharinoma

Post by Tharinoma » 08 Mar 2018, 16:33

The note about disconnecting was a missclick, I jobbaned the wrong person. I removed the jobban immediatly but apparently forgot to remove the note. I double checked with server logs and removed the note from taketheshot56's account. My apologies for the trouble.
Player PM from player/(Larva (247)) (?): It's totally realistic to challenge someone to do boxing for a mouse trap, in the middle of a alien occupation.
AHELP: Player/(Player) : HELP HELP HELP I SAWED SOMEOEN HEAD OFF! I DIDNT MEAN TOO

Solarmare
Byond: Solarmare

Post by Solarmare » 08 Mar 2018, 21:05

Alright, seeing as that was an unintentional thing and you seem to have improved as a player I don't see much issue with you being made a trial moderator. I'll guess this my +1, as the application is good.
Can you heeeeaaaaar am I floating in my tin can. A last glimpse of the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do.

Forum Rule #2: Do NOT post in an appeal if you are not contributing as a witness, if you are keep it simple and easy to read.

VitorThauma
Byond: VitorThauma

Post by VitorThauma » 09 Mar 2018, 17:25

You're very active and your app is also very good. Hope to see you on the team +1
Sarah Powers | Susan Kingston

Mentor from 20 Jul 2017 - 08 Oct 2017
Moderator from 08 Oct 2017 - 06 Feb 2018
Admin from 06 Feb 2018 - 24 Jun 2018
► Show Spoiler

Kerek
Byond: Kerek

Post by Kerek » 09 Mar 2018, 18:19

Patton is awesome. Nothing else to say, +1
Ryan 'Firebug' Steelberg
Horace Wallenber
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /Heinz.jpg

ExGame

Post by ExGame » 09 Mar 2018, 19:52

I've been looking over you the last days since you made this application, while you have slight slip-ups once in a while it's nothing that I can't look over.
You have a good understanding of the rules based on the answers and your note history doesn't resemble you anymore which is a good thing and you're enjoyable as a player.

Gets my +1
William Frost - An old guard USCM Officer
- "The easy way generally gets you killed."

Wolf Anderson - Eccentric NCO
- "When it's clicking like that you need to reload!"

slc97
Vice Host
Vice Host

Post by slc97 » 11 Mar 2018, 19:19

I can't believe I haven't commented on this yet. Nothing I can really add to the conversation besides that this is one of the best apps we've received in a while. Absolute +1.

Snypehunter007
Byond: Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » 11 Mar 2018, 22:00

Answers are nice, things that are wrong have already been pointed out above, and I don't remember you being a particular problem player.

I'll give this app a:

+1
Reached "Leet" post status on 3/14/17.
Death of the Suggestion Killer - 11/30/2017

Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

Nicboone
Byond: Nicboone

Post by Nicboone » 13 Mar 2018, 13:02

+1, you seem very active and generally seem on the right page.
Relax like Redax. "The fucking stupidest thing ever said by an SL"

Jerkface00

Post by Jerkface00 » 13 Mar 2018, 17:41

Great application, good activity, good history.

Trial approved; you'll be getting a message soon.
~Jerkface