Ghostdex - Moderator Application

Post by Ghostdex » 25 Mar 2018, 07:53

Byond ID:
Ghostdex

Colonial Marines Character:
John ‘Fixer’ Donable, Kara Walsh

Timezone:
EST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
15-20

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
Previously a mentor

Did you play any of the previous Colonial Marine servers?
Pre-alpha through current

What are the 3 biggest servers you play on besides CM?
Halo, and, FTL13 from time to time

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made: Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
Nope

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
Not at all

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
When I first started SS13 I ended up getting perma’d from paradise for being an idiot, I’ve since appealed that 2014 ban.

Are you familiar with the chat program Slack (its use is required)?
Pretty much

Common Staff Situations:
Write a description of what you would do in each of the following situations. Do not write on the same line as the situation - use the space below it or make space as needed. Failure to do this proves your inability to follow instructions and your application will be automatically denied.

1. A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
Check the logs to determine if the player shot the other player accidentally or purposely, depending on the result, either dismiss it as an IC issue or apply a warning if no previous notes of improper escalation or a ban if there's previous notes of it.

2. The ship has a breach to space and a bunch of players have died or are dying as a result.
The Almayer is no longer able to be breached, however if there was one I would fix the breach and the air as well.

3. You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost.
Ask a mentor to assist them and if none are available, I would assist them myself

4. A player is being very rude to you in Adminhelps and requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
Inform the player that they shouldn’t be rude to staff, find out his reasoning for wanting an admin and if the situation requires it, ping one on slack if none are currently online

5. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that: They've used the name for several years, no one has told them to change it before, and that they didn't know it was a rule.
Inform the player that they must change their name for next round even if they’ve used it for several years as it breaks our rules, apply a note or ban based off notes

6. You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
Mostly an IC issue unless meta is involved, at the most if it's really needed, SM a MP about it

7. You see a Squad Medic performing surgery on the planet. He claims it was because there were no doctors in the FOB.
While medics cannot do this at all now based on mechanics, I would PM the player, have them stop the surgery and cauterise the wound, applying a note if this hasn’t happened before, with a potential jobban if the player has a history of this behaviour

8. The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
SM the Commander and the Queen to attack and if both sides continue to stagnate, send either an ARES announcement or a Queen Mother report

9. The round ends, a MARINE starts shooting a hostile IRON BEAR and the IRON BEAR Adminhelps complaining he was killed after the round ended.
IC issue as the Iron Bear is an antag, which are exceptions

10. A marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start.
Somewhat an IC issue unless it's extremely excessive, in which case PM them to tone it down, apply a note or a 3 hour ban if the player has a history of this

11. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him.
Inform the player that what they did was improper escalation, applying a note or a 3 hour or more ban if they’ve been warned for such already, aheal the marine who was killed after dealing with the situation

12. An issue arises that requires Admin+ abilities.
Ping for an Admin on slack and inform them of the situation

13. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
Minor racism if generally fine but I would ask them to tone it down a notch so the player doesn’t feel too insulted

14. A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
Never a reason to do this, apply a day ban if there are no other instances of this but if there are, apply a larger ban leading up to a 7 day or a perma

15. You see a player playing a xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines and die.
PM the player so that I can understand their reasoning for doing so, if the player has other notes for such behaviour, apply a jobban, if not, warn them heavily

16. You see a xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat.
Apply a note for LRP if they don't have a history for being a problem xeno, if they do, apply a jobban

17. A xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different xeno player complains to you that it's metagaming/failRP to call it a "dropship".
Inform the xeno who ahelped that the hive mind is just an english translation and that using words like that is perfectly fine

18. A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet.
PM the player and inform them that knowing of the xenos before drop is metaknowledge and is not acceptable, issue a warning with the potential for a jobban or more if the players note history is poor

19. A Marine kills another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself.
The marine was just trying to save his IC life and as such, it's an IC issue

20. You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforcing a rule.
PM them ingame or on slack about it, if it's happening too often, inform their manager

20a. You see a fellow staff member abusing his powers in-game.
Gather the evidence and send it to their manager immediately

21. You see a player talking in OOC chat about what he did with your mom last night.
Ignore it unless it's intended to be malicious in which case, mute their OOC

Any additional information you'd like to add?
While my previous modd app was accepted, I was removed due to inactivity which were from issues with getting internet access

I couldn't stay away
John 'Fixer' Donable
Kara Walsh
Kjuhte-Teer
Part of the Yautja Council with SpartanBobby, Imperator_Titan, Sailor Dave and Symbiosis. Feel free to PM any of us with questions about Predator
Something a bit funny: http://i.imgur.com/lKfpvwd.png
The story of Operative Delta: https://imgur.com/Go3VIhs https://imgur.com/4K8AqdA

Anoonki
Byond: Anoonki

Re: Ghostdex - Moderator Application

Post by Anoonki » 25 Mar 2018, 09:16

-1, total boot.

But in actuality

14's a little rough, but not strictly terrible, given the nature of the offense.

Answers are good, nothing other than 14 really worth mentioning. Everything'll probably be worked out during the trial period.
Given your experience as staff already, I expect you'll make a pretty good mod.
+1
(((Designated))) Tank Ramster, Tara Greene.

ExGame

Post by ExGame » 25 Mar 2018, 09:58

Reviewing your answers:
I'm gonna have to say that they are a bit short and don't really go in detail of what you would do and why, which hints that you didn't put a lot of effort into it, which I find disappointing.
► Show Spoiler
The answers are okay in their answers, even if lacking in detail.
You have been staff before, so I believe you have some more experience than you're showing and you are also pretty active in the community and also known, which is a good thing.

All in all, I'm sitting at neutral untill you've adressed the scenarions I've given you. Answering them well can sway my vote into a +1.
Last edited by ExGame on 25 Mar 2018, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
William Frost - An old guard USCM Officer
- "The easy way generally gets you killed."

Wolf Anderson - Eccentric NCO
- "When it's clicking like that you need to reload!"

Dumblike
Byond: Dumblike

Post by Dumblike » 25 Mar 2018, 11:26

Probably nitpicking as most questions were already adressed by other staff, but still:
► Show Spoiler

I've seen you before in the staff, always did great, but could have added some more detail to your answers, as Ex said.
+1
Mia Brut
Layne Shriver

https://i.imgur.com/IXcc8aL.png
dchat best chat

Adralimas
Byond: Adralimas

Post by Adralimas » 25 Mar 2018, 12:06

OPERATIVE DELTA! Yesure +1.
Joe 'Broccoli' Campbell Broadcasts: SOMEONE STOLE THE MEGAPHONE AGAIN!
Image https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... -funny.jpg

Emeraldblood
Byond: Emerald Blood

Post by Emeraldblood » 25 Mar 2018, 14:16

Personally, I always like to see how people answer numbers 20 - 21 as it's more about personal actions rather than just following some guidelines. I'd like to see a bit more in-depth answers to some of the questions, however. Here are a few scenarios I'd like you to answer. They're made to be tougher and more in-line with what you can actually expect on the server. I'm not looking for perfect answers, but details on what you'd do and how you'd go about solving them. If you don't know what to do in that exact situation, that's fine.

1. A Staff Officer ahelps that the Commander shot him while he was arguing with him about the current orders. He says this is against the rules of escalation and the Commander should be removed from the role.

2. A Marine ahelps that they are infected (with a Xenomorph Larva) and a Researcher buckled them to a roller bed and then threw them inside one of the containment cells.

3. A Marine ahelps that their SL just shot them dead seemingly out of nowhere. When you PM the SL, they said that the CO had ordered them to be killed for trying to incite a mutiny on the planet. What would you do in this situation?

4. Currently, it's just you and a few mentors online and the Queen refuses to take the dropship up to the Almayer. While you can answer asking for an admin+ to get online, also explain what you'd do if you couldn't get anyone else online.
Ban Appeal Users: If I've lifted your perma ban and you're still unable to log onto the server, send me a forum PM regarding it and I'll work to get it fixed in ~24 hours.

Emerald Blood: CM's mommy and the only head staff who does anything. Even though I hate you all sometimes, I still love you.

Ghostdex
Byond: Ghostdex

Post by Ghostdex » 26 Mar 2018, 03:27

ExGame wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 09:58
► Show Spoiler
Thank you for the feedback and situations to answer
Dumblike wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 11:26
► Show Spoiler
Nitpicking is always good as it allows yourself and others to formulate a better opinion, thank you for the support
Emeraldblood wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 14:16
► Show Spoiler
If anyone has more situations or questions I'd be glad to answer them
John 'Fixer' Donable
Kara Walsh
Kjuhte-Teer
Part of the Yautja Council with SpartanBobby, Imperator_Titan, Sailor Dave and Symbiosis. Feel free to PM any of us with questions about Predator
The story of Operative Delta: https://imgur.com/Go3VIhs https://imgur.com/4K8AqdA

ExGame

Post by ExGame » 26 Mar 2018, 09:21

Answers are good, I'm convinced. +1
William Frost - An old guard USCM Officer
- "The easy way generally gets you killed."

Wolf Anderson - Eccentric NCO
- "When it's clicking like that you need to reload!"

Grimcad
Byond: Grimcad

Post by Grimcad » 26 Mar 2018, 10:24

I've no doubt you will make a decent mod, but I have to ask, what changed? It was only a little over two weeks ago that you retired from being a mentor. And now you are wanting to promote back up to mod. So, what changed between now and then?

Ghostdex

Post by Ghostdex » 26 Mar 2018, 11:20

Grimcad wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:24
I've no doubt you will make a decent mod, but I have to ask, what changed? It was only a little over two weeks ago that you retired from being a mentor. And now you are wanting to promote back up to mod. So, what changed between now and then?
One of the main reasons I retired was because of my significant other, we were at a point in our lives where we were at odds with each other, CM being one of the small reasons for that, and well, we're over it and instead of coming back as a mentor, I thought I'd try to become a mod, and help the community out a bit more.
John 'Fixer' Donable
Kara Walsh
Kjuhte-Teer

Grimcad
Byond: Grimcad

Post by Grimcad » 26 Mar 2018, 18:12

I can accept that.
+1

frozentsbgg
Byond: frozentsbgg

Post by frozentsbgg » 26 Mar 2018, 21:36

I wasn't so sure and was going to be neutral on this app, but your follow up answers have convinced me
+1

Emeraldblood
Byond: Emerald Blood

Post by Emeraldblood » 27 Mar 2018, 00:15

I was looking for a little more on the fourth question I gave, specifically about the part of the Queen not going up on their own, but the answers were solid overall. I'll support you in getting a shot with trial mod. I'm sure we'll get to speak as staff soon.
Ban Appeal Users: If I've lifted your perma ban and you're still unable to log onto the server, send me a forum PM regarding it and I'll work to get it fixed in ~24 hours.

Emerald Blood: CM's mommy and the only head staff who does anything. Even though I hate you all sometimes, I still love you.

Solarmare
Byond: Solarmare

Post by Solarmare » 27 Mar 2018, 01:07

As far as 19 goes it's worth checking the logs to see whether a marine bothered role playing instead of just wordlessly grief in there.

Mostly decent answers with good replies as well, you shouldn't have much issue learning anything else as well. I'll give this mod app a +1.
Can you heeeeaaaaar am I floating in my tin can. A last glimpse of the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do.

Forum Rule #2: Do NOT post in an appeal if you are not contributing as a witness, if you are keep it simple and easy to read.

Kerek
Byond: Kerek

Post by Kerek » 27 Mar 2018, 01:30

Nothing else to say, +1
Ryan 'Firebug' Steelberg
Horace Wallenber
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /Heinz.jpg

NethIafins
Byond: NethIafins
Steam: nethiafin

Post by NethIafins » 27 Mar 2018, 03:51

Hey there. Nice to see you coming back to us.
+1
Brother!
Do you remember our home and mother?
I'll die, don't bother.
It's just like walking on water.
- Cold Rain, Swirekster 2017, Twisted Insurrection OST

Sir Lordington
Byond: Sirlordington

Post by Sir Lordington » 27 Mar 2018, 12:41

Ghostdex is a terribly unrobust pred. Clearly just wants mod powers to be able to win honour duels.

I'm joking of course, with your situation cleared up and your solid answers to the feedback and situations provided I'm more than happy to give you a +1.
I used to play Luke Compton. Now I play Reginald Dempsey.

Snypehunter007
Byond: Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » 28 Mar 2018, 16:49

Good RPer and generally good player, had good interactions with him multiple times, fairly solid answers.

+1
Reached "Leet" post status on 3/14/17.
Death of the Suggestion Killer - 11/30/2017

Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

Tisx
Byond: Tisx

Post by Tisx » 31 Mar 2018, 11:44

It's time to see how good you are with investigations, Now, don't worry too hard about this, as I already like your app,

So, You are observing the start of a round, When you noticed that in charlie prep that a B18 Crate + all of the gear are just laying on the floor in the middle of charlie prep.

You find Charlie spec, who you are expecting to be a B18 shotgunner, but instead you find a Scout spec, You ask the Scout spec (Hereby Spec "Mc" Specface) about the B18 gear in charlie prep and he replies;

(Spec "Mc" Specface) PM: Oh that, Ya, Engineer "Mc" Engieface (Charlie engineer) came to me asking if he could try his engineer token on the spec vendor, It seemed to work. But I never touched the B18 gear once it was out of the vendor.

You check Specface's notes history and he seems to have some recent notes over the months, one of which was from powergaming.

After that, you check the B18 crate for fingerprints and find Engieface's prints on them, when you confront him he replies

(Engineer "Mc" Engieface)PM: I was only testing to see if it would work, I never meant for all of that to happen

You check Engieface's and he seems to be a new player

All of the B18s Gear is just laying on charlie preps floor, how do you proceed?

Ghostdex

Post by Ghostdex » 31 Mar 2018, 13:18

Tisx wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 11:44
► Show Spoiler
Well, since Spec 'Mc' Specface isn't wearing any of the B18 gear there isn't any rule breaks there and all I'd say to them would be to not do that again, same with Engineer 'Mc' Engieface. Aside from warning them I'd delete the B18 gear as there are 5 sets of gear instead of the 4 which means all the specs have their gear.
John 'Fixer' Donable
Kara Walsh
Kjuhte-Teer

Kavlo
Byond: Kavlo
Steam: Kavlo

Post by Kavlo » 31 Mar 2018, 13:21

Bit late to the party but I thought I'd chip in anyway.

I've known Ghostdex for quite a while now and we talk often enough and I'd certainly say that he can handle being a moderator for CM in all walks of life and if he's got any questions hell he knows enough ex-staff and current staff that he'll be fine.

Easy +1.
Lochlann Healy the Marine Here's my good ol' dossier!

Mentor : 28th November 2016
Mod : 14th February 2017
Admin : 7th June 2017
Retired : 4th January 2018
Mod : 20th April 2018
Admin : 19th September 2018

slc97
Vice Host
Vice Host

Post by slc97 » 31 Mar 2018, 19:11

Accepted. Check your inbox.