Varnock - Moderator Application

Varnock

Varnock - Moderator Application

Post by Varnock » 14 Mar 2016, 18:52

Byond ID: Varnock

Colonial Marines Character: Jacob Blackpool

Timezone: PST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
Anywhere from a round a day, to six rounds a day. It depends on what's going on and the day of the week. If I had to average it, I'd say 21 to 30 hours.

Do you have a Skype account (Skype is REQUIRED)?
Yes I do.

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
I've been a moderator on several RP forums in the past and am currently an admin on an imageboard.

Did you play any of the previous Colonial Marine servers?
I've played since the old Nostromo map, I'm not sure if that counts.

What other servers do you play on?
At this time, none. I used to play Hippie and Yogstation, but grew bored of them when compared to this one.

What are the 3 biggest servers you play on besides CM?
Hippie and Yogstation, no others, and I have been on neither in months.

Have you had an application to Colonial Marines before?
No.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
Admin on the imageboard Aurorachan and Headmin on a forum RP that is still in construction.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, where and When (roughly)?
Yes. I was perma'd from Hippie for a while for metagaming, something I regret extremely. It was my first time playing an antag and I foolishly asked my friend, sitting not three feet away, to come save me. I've been unbanned and since learned my lesson. The when I haven't the foggiest on, it's been a little while now.

Waht

Common Staff Situations:
Write a description of what you would do in each situation (BELOW) the situation. If you start it on the same line, I'll assume you can't follow directions and auto-decline your application.

1. A player is firing his weapon in the briefing area near the start of the round.
If firing at players I would assess the situation to see if it was a miss-click, actual escalation, or intentional. If intentional I would ping them to let them know it was griefing, and not allowed, potentially issuing a temporary ban if they continue, or petitioning for perma if they are repeat offenders and that has become the only option. I believe three hours is the norm, for temporary?

If escalation, I would figure out what went wrong so early in the round, and depending on the situation let it play out.

A miss-click would likely be just a single shot, and could be allowed to pass unless someone was harmed by it grievously, such as a headshot, which would likely prompt a warning to be more careful and possibly healing for the one harmed, if that was within my power and necessary.

2. The Sulaco has a breach to space.
Assuming I have the capabilities, patch it with walls or ask another staff member that DOES have said capability to do so. If not possible, PM an MT or make a ship-wide M.O.T.H.E.R. announcement. If the breach was caused by a player, warn them that such things are against the rules, and to not do it again if intentional. If accidental I would warn them to be more careful and point out the rule.

3. The marines want the nuke codes because they claim they are losing too many marines. There are currently 4 aliens and 20 marines in your /who.
Moderators cannot give nuclear codes, but I don't think that's the answer you want.

I would preform a bioscan for the marines and urge them to do their jobs with a message from high command.

4. A Sulaco researcher has made several napalm grenades and hands them out to marines. One of the marines throws the grenade into Logistics. There are no admins or other moderators online.
First off I've read that napalm has been fixed, so that changes my answer to this slightly. If it hasn't first off would be the researcher, who would be asked just why exactly he was making an item that it is against the rules to make, and warning them that any damage caused by said items is their responsibility and not to create them again.

Assuming they ARE fixed and that said marine has done this for no reason and not because xenos are tearing at the walls I would investigate the situation. If it is something like a justified mutiny, I would let it play out. If they truly had done it '4 no raisin' and harmed other players then they would be warned, and likely temp banned. I'd need to read protocol first before having a definitive answer, and as always, it depends on the situation. They may have mistakenly activated it and simply thrown the item somewhere empty to avoid death. Any players harmed by it, accidentally or otherwise if it was grief, would be healed if it was within my power to do so to preserve the round.

5. A played is starting to talk about the things he did with your mom last night over Ahelp.
Calmly talk this person down, or simply ignore them if they are persistent. Maybe a warning or a note? Muting them in particular if possible would be my first choice should they continue, but I am unsure if this is possible.

6. You notice a marine with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules.
Kindly point them towards the rule and ask them to change their name next round. If they refuse, maybe a warning or note? It depends on how badly it breaks the rules. 'Fucknuggets Mcyourmom' would get more punishment than a 'John Doe', for instance, since the former was very clearly intentionally offensive, while the latter may have been a mistake.

Repeat offenders would of course be dealt with more harshly as well, especially if they had been warned on multiple occasions.

6a. The marine is arguing that: They've used the name for several years, noone has told them to change it before, and that they didn't know it was a rule.
Let them know that's simply how it is and that I'm only doing my job to preserve server cohesion. If they are truly bothered by it I would urge them to make a suggestion to have the rule changed, unlikely as it is.

7. You see a Sulaco Doctor with an M41A rifle strapped to his back running around the briefing area. There are wounded in medbay, and the other doctor is in surgery.
PM the Doctor in question to ask just what they were doing, pointing out the rules involving their job and weapons, and how they are not allowed to carry large firearms, only pick them up if they or a patient are in an immediate life threatening situation, and that it must be dropped and the area left afterwards. If they have a legitimate reason then I would simply ask them to drop the weapon and make their way back to medbay, or wherever the patients are if medbay has been overrun to keep the round fun for all. I know well how much it sucks being stuck waiting for healing and unable to move.

8. You see a Squad Medic performing surgery on the planet. He claims it was because there were no doctors in the FOB.
Remind them that their job is regardless not allowed to preform surgery. Period. They are meant to stabilize and send back to the Sulaco for intensive treatment. If they wish to do so they can ask for a job change on the Sulaco or try joining as a Doctor the next round. If they have a history of powergaming perhaps a temporary jobban?

9. The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the Sulaco, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
A bioscan would be the most efficient, or maybe ask a higher up to make a sudden xeno ERT for some real encouragement and fun.

10. The round ends, and a marine starts unloading his weapons on other marines.
3 hour temp ban, no questions asked, no warnings.

11. A marine who has recently awoken is using soap to slip other marines.
PM them to let them know that this is griefing and not allowed. If they have a history of it or refuse to stop, probably a temporary ban and note, especially if it is being extremely detrimental to the round, such as in the middle of a xeno assault.

12. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him.
Investigate the situation and speak to both sides, check logs to make sure there wasn't other escalation involved. If there was not, then let him know that this is not proper escalation, and that it falls under griefing. Issue a temporary ban if they are a repeat offender, and put down a note. If they have a history of it, perhaps push for perma.

Any additional information you'd like to add?
I apologize now for my excessive use of commas and potentially bad writing. I've always had trouble with that damned punctuation. Other than that I hope to work with you all and put my time towards keeping this awesome server just that. Thanks for your time either way, I know you're all busy.

EDIT: Minor spelling errors fixed that I hadn't noticed. Darned English language and it's words sounding the same!

SecretStamos (Joshuu)

Re: Varnock - Moderator Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 14 Mar 2016, 19:19

+1. I've known Varnock for a bit, and he's a pretty responsible guy. I have no doubt he could do a good job.

Grypho

Post by Grypho » 17 Mar 2016, 03:57

Saw you in-game yesterday and got a good first impression. Liked the application except your answer to question 11. +support

Jdobbin49
Donor
Donor

Post by Jdobbin49 » 17 Mar 2016, 14:46

i haven't seen you in game that much but that could be due to time zones and whatnot but that doesn't really matter.
what does matter is that your application looks pretty good, answers seem pretty good all round so you get a big old +1 from me pal.

SASoperative
Donor
Donor
Location: Mobile constantly. Never really in one spot for long.

Post by SASoperative » 17 Mar 2016, 23:06

If Joshuu thinks your alright than I will +1 ya

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 30 Mar 2016, 14:30

Hey, just checking in to make sure you all didn't forget about me here.

Shadowling1232

Post by Shadowling1232 » 31 Mar 2016, 10:26

+1 Such a great guy, I shared some gr8 moments with this guy.

Lostmixup
Donor
Donor

Post by Lostmixup » 31 Mar 2016, 12:28

+1, don't worry about the comma's you literally can't be worse than apop with them.
Default Scrolly Blur

Jack McIntyre
Donor
Donor

Post by Jack McIntyre » 01 Apr 2016, 09:26

One of the mentors I was glad was on since you lessened the load I had with a-helps and such, so you have my support mate. Good luck. +1

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 01 Apr 2016, 12:52

Jack McIntyre wrote:One of the mentors I was glad was on since you lessened the load I had with a-helps and such, so you have my support mate. Good luck. +1
I'm not a mentor though, I think you have me confused with someone else?

Jack McIntyre
Donor
Donor

Post by Jack McIntyre » 01 Apr 2016, 13:37

Yea other mentor with a v, but do know your character in game so that is still a +1 from me.

apophis775
Host
Host
Byond: Apophis775

Post by apophis775 » 23 Apr 2016, 19:47

I see a bunch of positive feedback. Are you still interested?

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 23 Apr 2016, 21:42

I am indeed still interested! I'd love to help you guys out, this is one of my biggest timesinks :p

monkeysfist101

Post by monkeysfist101 » 23 Apr 2016, 23:43

I'll throw my +1 in here as well. Varnock's a swell guy.
Resident canon stickler.
CM in a nutshell:

"perscription_google" - CM code

Adjective

Post by Adjective » 24 Apr 2016, 11:37

+1 Positive attitude IG and good attitude. Answers meet my micromanage search too.

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 01 May 2016, 14:03

Still thinking it over?

Edgelord
Donor
Donor
Byond: Edgelord

Post by Edgelord » 01 May 2016, 14:48

Not sure how much sway my input has but I've known Varn for a long time, terrific guy to play with and not afraid to call people out if they're being shit.

Definite +1
Dayton 'Day' Mann
"That wiggling sensation you feel in your ass is Weyland-Yutani's fingers working you like a puppet."

LocalizedDownpour

Post by LocalizedDownpour » 01 May 2016, 15:00

Apop already approved you, just have to PM him.

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 01 May 2016, 15:08

Oh, I hadn't realized I needed to PM him, I'll do that. Thanks!

TR-BlackDragon

Post by TR-BlackDragon » 02 May 2016, 11:28

Im ok with this App. Lots of positive feedback. Id like to see how you handle yourself as staff so.

+!

SecretStamos (Joshuu)

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 04 May 2016, 14:16

I can vouch for him personally. I know him quite well.

Varnock

Post by Varnock » 04 May 2016, 14:21

Man you guys are all so awesome, I never expected this much positive feedback, and it really feels nice to get it. Whether or not I get the position, thanks a ton everyone!

Adjective

Post by Adjective » 04 May 2016, 14:56

Considering Apop asked if you were interested I'm assuming he wants to hire you.

apophis775
Host
Host
Byond: Apophis775

Post by apophis775 » 06 May 2016, 01:51

Again, I'm sorry about this, been a bit busy. I've sent ye a message on the forums.