A guide to bullet paths and friendly fire. [Alpha]/[Omega]

Player-made guides on how stuff works.
TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor
Byond: TopHatPenguin

A guide to bullet paths and friendly fire. [Alpha]/[Omega]

Post by TopHatPenguin » 10 Jan 2017, 15:14

This is an updated firing lane and bullet path guide from my previous PA one which is applicable to the current iteration of CM.

General introduction to Bullet paths:
► Show Spoiler

Firing with friendlies nearby:
► Show Spoiler
Firing Through Doors:
► Show Spoiler

Firing at enemies behind cover:
► Show Spoiler

Firing at moving targets:
► Show Spoiler
Fanning:
► Show Spoiler
Where to Aim:
This question is normally asked quite alot in OOC, some players will state the head, some state that the groin or arm is better to aim at. In all honesty it's up to personnel preference where you aim as you do the same amount of damage no matter where you hit, generally though it's better to aim at the chest, yes you may break their ribs and cause a lung to be punctured but atleast some of your shots if you do end up ffing will be absorbed by the armour, compared to aiming at the arms or groin which has a lower chance to absorb the damage. If you do aim at the chest you are also more likely to hit your target instead of "The bullet misses ancient lurkerr (658)"

Useful tips:

Tip One: Additional Aiming Information.

Remember that you can fire buckshot into a lurker if they pounce a marine next to you, runners you can as well but only if you are quick on the draw, but luckily for you the higher the upgraded runner the longer they are stunned in their own pounce. If you're wondering as to why my cursor is behind the lurker instead of on the lurkers sprite it's so that the marine on the ground doesn't get filled with lead, the same also applies to xenos so if you see a stunned or sleeping xeno you need to click it directly to hit it otherwise the bullets will just fly over it.
► Show Spoiler

• To combat heavy weapon spread you aim as far behind the desired target as possible. By doing this you ensure that the weapon will have decreased spread until later ranges.

Tip Two: Defensive emplacements and where to stand.

Remember that if those pesky xenomorphs are charging towards your defensive emplacement(barricades, sandbags etc.), take a step back to avoid being slashed and potentially killed. For all other times you should stand on the same tile as the defensive emplacement for a better chance of protection against incoming projectiles. Note that if boiler gas is incoming, get out of dodge or equip a gas mask.

Tip Three: General Attachment Tip.

Increasing the accuracy of your weapon with attachments will affect your miss chance. The more accurate your gun is due to attachments the less likely your bullets will miss which means you'll have more chances to penetrate that thick exoskeleton of that pesky xenomorph.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 04 Jun 2018, 16:40, edited 38 times in total.

Lokiki_01
Byond: Lokiki

Re: A guide to bullet paths and friendly fire. [Alpha] - WiP

Post by Lokiki_01 » 10 Jan 2017, 15:26

Wooks, add a thing about shooting around far corners, like: You're clicking on xenos - hitting wall, but when clicking behind xeno - bullets will hit him
'I'm totally not a Russian spy' - Yaroslav Arkanov the Colony Marshall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwUiku ... e=youtu.be - HowTo solo the lowpop Almayer as hunter. Even when NGG sends Freelancer platoon to kill you

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: A guide to bullet paths and friendly fire. [Alpha] - WiP

Post by TopHatPenguin » 10 Jan 2017, 15:28

Lokiki_01 wrote:Wooks, add a thing about shooting around far corners, like: You're clicking on xenos - hitting wall, but when clicking behind xeno - bullets will hit him
Added.

Eenkogneeto

Re: A guide to bullet paths and friendly fire. [Alpha]

Post by Eenkogneeto » 10 Jan 2017, 19:29

Actually very detailed, Most of this is stuff that comes naturally to me, but i've been playing SS13 for a good 6-7+ years. Good work. Suggest you give a gif demonstrating 'Fanning' around obstructions with burstfire. Being you click and then step to clear the line of fire.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 10 Jan 2017, 19:40

Eenkogneeto wrote:Actually very detailed, Most of this is stuff that comes naturally to me, but i've been playing SS13 for a good 6-7+ years. Good work. Suggest you give a gif demonstrating 'Fanning' around obstructions with burstfire. Being you click and then step to clear the line of fire.
Added.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 12 Jan 2017, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Karmac
Byond: Karmac
Steam: Karmac

Post by Karmac » 10 Jan 2017, 20:16

Use a pulse rifle with accuracy mods for a more accurate representation of what you want to happen.
Garth Pawolski, or is it Powalski?

Back in action.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 10 Jan 2017, 20:39

Carmac wrote:Use a pulse rifle with accuracy mods for a more accurate representation of what you want to happen.
A standard rifle with no attachments is perfectly fine for this, you'll hit along those squares for a lot of shots. Granted having accuracy mods would increase the amount of shots that hit, but for this guide it wasn't needed.

Renomaki

Post by Renomaki » 11 Jan 2017, 22:49

You should also update the fact how firing from behind a table/barricade won't protect you unless you are a tile BEHIND the cover in question.

I discovered that players standing directly on the tile of a flipped table can still be hit with bullets/spits, whereas if you stand behind the table's tile in question, the shots will hit the table instead.

So many people still hug their cover, not realizing that they are negating it by standing directly on it.
Sometimes, bravery comes from the most unlikely sources.

An inspirational song for when ye be feeling blue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_zvuPw8xU

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 11 Jan 2017, 23:21

Renomaki wrote:You should also update the fact how firing from behind a table/barricade won't protect you unless you are a tile BEHIND the cover in question.

I discovered that players standing directly on the tile of a flipped table can still be hit with bullets/spits, whereas if you stand behind the table's tile in question, the shots will hit the table instead.

So many people still hug their cover, not realizing that they are negating it by standing directly on it.
Added.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 12 Jan 2017, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Karmac

Post by Karmac » 12 Jan 2017, 06:34

If you feel its worth mentioning you could note diagonal shooting, such as shooting between two diagonally placed girders. Most people complain about spitters doing this, yet forget marines can use it as a trick too.

Back in action.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 12 Jan 2017, 08:03

Carmac wrote:If you feel its worth mentioning you could note diagonal shooting, such as shooting between two diagonally placed girders. Most people complain about spitters doing this, yet forget marines can use it as a trick too.

Added.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 26 Jan 2017, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Karmac

Post by Karmac » 12 Jan 2017, 08:13

Don't judge me I'm dyslecix

Back in action.

Eenkogneeto

Post by Eenkogneeto » 12 Jan 2017, 16:30

Advanced Tactic: You can buckshot a runner when they pounce a marine, but only if you do it /very/ fast. The window gets bigger the older the runner.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 12 Jan 2017, 21:27

Eenkogneeto wrote:Advanced Tactic: You can buckshot a runner when they pounce a marine, but only if you do it /very/ fast. The window gets bigger the older the runner.
Added.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 13 Jan 2017, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

nerocavalier
Byond: NeroCavalier

Post by nerocavalier » 12 Jan 2017, 22:31

TopHatPenguin wrote:I was hesitant to add it in the beginning about shooting runners which have pounced marines because it could lead to more FF due to the short amount of time.
I'd say throw it in, anyway, and have a little faith in your fellow marines.

If FF goes up, we can always blame Eenkogneeto for it.
Troublesome, as usual.

Eenkogneeto

Post by Eenkogneeto » 12 Jan 2017, 22:33

Maybe consider a part about shooting through diagonals? Get a MT/CE to build you two walls in the firing range so shoot diagonally through, a picture of what you see and a picture of what is on the other side with the firing lines drawn through the wall.

Biolock
Donor
Donor
Byond: Biolock

Post by Biolock » 13 Jan 2017, 01:57

Excellent guide, easy to follow. Perhaps you could add a section about shooting something that is downed, resting, or sleeping and how the bullet mechanics change for that target.

Also, I'd be amiss if I didn't address, as your friendly neighborhood medic, that I personally aim for the groin. Yes, there is /less/ armor on the marine's groin than on his chest, HOWEVER; if you DO hit their groin and you DO break something, it has a far less likely chance of killing them than a broken chest. In fact, a marine, so long as they can withstand the pain, and don't bleed out, can continue fighting with an un-splinted, broken groin. Where as if you try to do the same with a broken chest, it's a death sentence every time. Also, the miss % is negligible when targetting the groin vs. chest.
I'm stressing way too hard about what to put here, so I'm just gonna leave it blank.... or....

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 13 Jan 2017, 05:13

Eenkogneeto wrote:Maybe consider a part about shooting through diagonals? Get a MT/CE to build you two walls in the firing range so shoot diagonally through, a picture of what you see and a picture of what is on the other side with the firing lines drawn through the wall.
Added.
Last edited by TopHatPenguin on 26 Jan 2017, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lokiki_01
Byond: Lokiki

Post by Lokiki_01 » 13 Jan 2017, 06:35

Biolock wrote:HOWEVER; if you DO hit their groin and you DO break something, it has a far less likely chance of killing them than a broken chest.
Bio, it's still a death sentence to fight unsplinted, broken groin deals damage to liver, and liver deals a lot of tox damage. But in a short term - yea, broken groin is better.
'I'm totally not a Russian spy' - Yaroslav Arkanov the Colony Marshall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwUiku ... e=youtu.be - HowTo solo the lowpop Almayer as hunter. Even when NGG sends Freelancer platoon to kill you

Simo94

Post by Simo94 » 23 Jan 2017, 01:31

add clicking behind the hunter and not at them with M4 if they are pouncing a marine as it reduces the chance of FFing the pounced marine

TheMusician321
Byond: TheMusician321
Steam: 50ShadesOfIcedTea

Post by TheMusician321 » 23 Jan 2017, 14:08

Simo94 wrote:add clicking behind the hunter and not at them with M4 if they are pouncing a marine as it reduces the chance of FFing the pounced marine
^ this

I ff'd so. many. people. this way, granted I was using double RDS smgs but clicking on young hunter 69 would just hit the guy below him instead of the hunter itself.
Image Image

Ed 'Wafflecone' Martin bites the Mature Hunter (251)!

I play as Ed 'Waffles' Martin or his sister, Amaryllis 'Pancakes' Martin.

Never Forget, Dust Raider. 10/15/17.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 23 Jan 2017, 14:30

Simo94 wrote:add clicking behind the hunter and not at them with M4 if they are pouncing a marine as it reduces the chance of FFing the pounced marine
TheMusician321 wrote:^ this

I ff'd so. many. people. this way, granted I was using double RDS smgs but clicking on young hunter 69 would just hit the guy below him instead of the hunter itself.
First useful tip covers that, I'll add it into the description of the gif to point it out abit more.

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 25 Jan 2017, 17:38

Apologies for the delay on diagonal shooting, been struggling/forgetting during a round to get a picture for it. Hopefully by tomorrow it should be done and updated. Along with some potential flamethrower additional info for when using it.

Caryl

Post by Caryl » 25 Jan 2017, 21:04

This is such a Top-Kek guide. Beautifully detailed and demonstrated. Well done, Wooks!

TopHatPenguin
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by TopHatPenguin » 26 Jan 2017, 13:25

Updated - 26/01/2017