Simple guide to macros.

Player-made guides on how stuff works.
Challenger
Byond: digitalis

Simple guide to macros.

Post by Challenger » 18 Aug 2017, 08:49

The UI of SS13 is rich in actions, toggles, options, and buttons... a bit too rich.

If you're tired of constantly changing tabs and finding the button you want to press - try a macro.

Let's try macroing the "toggle zoom" button at the top right of this image.

Click the menu bar at the top of your SS13 window.

Open the "client" submenu, and then click the "macros" option.

Admire this macros screen. Realize your own is a little emptier. Question why I would even have a "join ERT" macro. Notice the "new macro" button at the bottom left.

Click it.

Then click the "find key" button at the top right. Type in a key or key combo.

Good keys to try are C, V, B, F. Or any key combined with shift, control, or alt.

It won't work if you choose a key or combo already used by the game.

We went with CTRL+A.

Take a deep breath. Ignore all the text.

Just look at the command you wanted to make a macro out of. We wanted to macro "Toggle Zoom". Just replace the spaces with dashes, and put that in the "Command:" field.

"toggle-zoom"

Pretty easy. Now smash that mf OK button.

Admire your petite collection of macros. Take comfort knowing you can always take any misbehaving macros out back by double-clicking them and erasing what's in the command field.

Now use your macro.

Hold control and type A. Looks like we zoomed out.

It's this easy. Now let me give you all the information you can possibly have about macros.

You can macro any command you can find in a tab at the top right. Weapons tab, actions tab, etc., Just replace the command's spaces with dashes.

Some commands take arguments, ie you tell them what exactly to do. For example, the 'say' command can be written 'say "Good evening!"'. Or the 'transfer-plasma' command can be written 'transfer-plasma queen'. Not ALL commands can take them - but generally if it opens up a textbox or options, it MIGHT.

The ".click" command is a "special" command. It lets you simulate a mouse click on UI elements. For example, the "activate weapon attachment" button at the bottom right is a UI element. Create a ".click activate-weapon-attachment" macro and you can enable/disable your weapon attachment more conveniently.

You can have one macro do multiple things in order by joining commands with "\n". For example, 'say "Hi!"\nEastface' makes your character say "Hi!" then face east. Useful if you want the same key used for both an alien and marine action, like ".click activate-weapon-attachment\nReady-Tail-Attack-(20)". Just ignore the debug text this will often give you.

Normally, on the macros screen, the "apply only to this game" checkbox is ticked. If you untick it when adding a new macro, your list of macros will appear in a "macros.dmf" file on your computer. You can find it by going to your BYOND window, clicking the cog at the top right, selecting "preferences", selecting the "advanced" tab, selecting "open user directory", and then entering the "cfg" folder. This is a convenient way to share your own macros or use someone else's.
Last edited by Challenger on 10 Sep 2017, 23:57, edited 6 times in total.
(outdated) guides to: squaddie | medic loadouts | FOB design | macros.

Jackie Estegado
Byond: Jackie Estegado

Re: CREATING A MACRO IN TEN SECONDS: STOP BEING LAZY AND JUST FUCKING DO IT

Post by Jackie Estegado » 18 Aug 2017, 08:54

SSsssh, no, macros don't exist. We totaly don't need more shotgun insta-wielding marines.
If you ever wonder when did I really start hating incompetent people read Crab Spider's signature... I was that CMO.

Challenger

Post by Challenger » 18 Aug 2017, 08:59

Macros can literally not be used for shotgun insta wielding, .click doesn't work for it and there are no other commands that let you take it out of suit storage.

In general the devs are aware of macros and nerf or remove them appropriately, so as long as you just use macros with the intent of replacing clicks with button presses or QOL improvements, you shouldn't take shit from anyone who calls you a powergamer for it.
Last edited by Challenger on 10 Sep 2017, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.

Jackie Estegado

Post by Jackie Estegado » 18 Aug 2017, 09:00

It is possible, devs are just unimaginative.
If you ever wonder when did I really start hating incompetent people read Crab Spider's signature... I was that CMO.

Butterrobber202

Post by Butterrobber202 » 18 Aug 2017, 09:43

o, a transfer plasma hotkey for the queen, seems useful
the alien drone (848) has been robusted with the emergency toolbox by Johnny 'Snowball' Redem!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Mook476
Byond: Mook476

Re: The simplest possible guide to setting up a macro: seriously, it only takes ten seconds, do it

Post by Mook476 » 18 Aug 2017, 18:36

This is a pretty hot guide.
ImageImage Joakim 'Mook Sundberg some meme aka BIG DOG.
Image Image Bakuub R'ka some pred.

Jeser

Re: The simplest possible guide to setting up a macro: seriously, it only takes ten seconds, do it

Post by Jeser » 24 Aug 2017, 03:05

He has macros for joining ERT. Like, really? Why??
Jeser "Fox" Aushwitz.
Jeser believes only in one thing - common sense.

Apop's permission: Click

Challenger

Post by Challenger » 24 Aug 2017, 09:07

Was testing to see if macros work while dead, because `toggle-darkness` for some reason works as an alien but not as a ghost despite the command name not changing.

There isn't any actual advantage to binding that shit, you only need to attempt to join once in the period available. The macros you're looking at are really weird because they're without the checkbox disabled, aka I threw them up quickly for testing.

I might get off my ass and provide my actual macro list if you want

Jackie Estegado

Post by Jackie Estegado » 24 Aug 2017, 09:10

Challenger you autistic [REDACTED], for aliens it's toggle-darkvision.

Challenger

Post by Challenger » 24 Aug 2017, 09:14

foiled again