User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pill Bottles are ID Locked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pill Bottles are ID Locked

Heeeya played this game for a long time before the whole renaming and swap from Apophis to the current owner, and I decided to try out the game again and see how it's going. I thought it was going pretty okay up until I found out that Pill Bottles are ID Locked. I simply want to know why? I'm not particularly happy that they are ID Locked, but at least knowing why may help me understand. In either case, thank ya for reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically an old change to try and stop powergaming. If you want to open them take the mini medic kit from the pfc vendor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was added a long time ago as apart of the skills update (me thinks) that was designed to make standard marines less independant and more dependant on marine Medics for medical attention, it went through several iterations.

The concept is generally not popular.

If you take the 'Marine Mini-Medic Kit" (or whatever it's been renamed into) you get a pamphlet that gives you basic medical skills and thus will let you open the pill bottles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds, unnecessary.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfdeadKiller View Post
    This sounds, unnecessary.
    yes, it very much is

thank you for commenting, and have a cm day!

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are not one of the usual ss13 servers where single gamer can be a jack of all trades Rambo that can build, hack, heal, self-heal and be an amazing rifleman at the same time

Before we had all those rules enforced in server rules under a general term called "do your job and only your job". However it was enforced vaguely so it was decided to switch from administrative solution to mechanical - a way of doing things that we adhere to to this day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a reliance on medics provides a reason to use teamwork and give medics purpose. If everyone could heal and barricade and do everything themselves then there's no reason to work together. By specializing it makes teamwork needed and gives people the chance to play specific roles a d enjoy the fact they have a specific purpose and are needed for something. As a medic main myself I really enjoy healing others and is basically the only thing I care to play for the fact that I'm healing people and keeping them alive and that's my job and I want to do well to heal people so that they can do their job better. Which generally is to unga and get kills.

Tldr. Specializing gives roles and requires teamwork for marines to do really well and rewards specializing. So I'd locks are a good thing. Prevents power gaming omnigod marines.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everyone could heal with no restrictions like a medic then that would make marines more powerful overall which would lead to nerfing the entire medical system so that marine healing is in line with the balance of the game. I would rather have 2 medics per squad that are really good at healing than 100 ungas that suck at healing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post

Before we had all those rules enforced in server rules under a general term called "do your job and only your job". However it was enforced vaguely so it was decided to switch from administrative solution to mechanical - a way of doing things that we adhere to to this day
    Can I say this has been very helpful to me personally since I now don't have try and guess what is or isn't power/meta gaming as much.

Though I felt like most marines wouldn't take pill bottles unless they got somewhere to store them easy - but I never wear a backpack but I think it would be some serious space if you wanted to carry more than one type of pill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, reliance on roles is fine I guess. But it still feels overly restrictive. The medics job is to heal marines and carry medical gear. But what if he dies? That squad doesn't get a usable medic anymore unless some standard happened to grab the magic paper that lets him open pill bottles. The beauty of SS13 is the freedom it gives from it's mechanics. You already have a system to let standards fumble with medical gear, which makes sense. But pill bottles?