Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cakey - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Cakey

Player Name You Use Most?
    Tessa Hudson

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    Applied for dev (became mapper)

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    Personally I believe that the battlefield execution shoudl only be used in a situation where it would not be possible to have the security personnel carry out an arrest for a proper execution, however I do believe that the battlefield exercution can and should be used if there is an immediate threat to my command. This would also include any immadiate threat to the ship and or crew.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    From an out of character's perspective, having routinely played command positions throughout my history in SS13, I always go out of my way to ensure as many people as possible are involved in a round, situation, or event (Without having such actions sabotage the round).
    Tessa Hudson, as a character, is the type that will always delegate tasks to subordinates if they are available in order to ensure that there's always room for the next task to be brought up and delegated (And through this continuing the cycle).

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    To oversee the entire operation, managing overall orders (without essentially requiring complete micromanagement), delegating orders where possible, and keeping up morale as the figurehead for all marines.
    As stated above, while not required I personally believe it's the CO player's duty to keep the round fun for as many as possible without sabotaging the round.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Definitely some way of being able to further reinforce orders you've issued; be it some way of drawing onto a tactical map (or using arrows), or giving positive boons to those who actually do follow orders.
    Also something to allow you to access this information as well as any other management intel without havin to be anchored down to the CIC table would be great.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I'd like to be able to throw the curveballs into the mix. While I believe that you don't need to be OOCly aiming to win the round, I'd like to center my rounds around interesting strategies that will be fun for the whole family; even if it's' maybe not the best strategy for winning.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    CDR Hudson has served her time in the corps jumping from ship to ship fulfilling various odd roles, climbing the ranks and handling the woes thrown at her. When the late captain of the USS Almayer needed replacing, Hudson was transferred and promoted to the rank of Captain. Initially detesting the Falling Falcons, Hudson grew to understand that her promotion was nothing more than a punishment; these marines were a special case and either somebody on the chain thought she could screw them back to shape or someone on the chain had a bone to pick with her and this was her brand new personal hell.
    Hudson's time on the Almayer hasn't been long; only running a total of two voyages between port calls spanning a total of around six months. These marines may be here because they didn't make the cut for some other ship but they were HER marines and she was going to treat them as the family they were.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answers regarding the Battlefield Execution shows to me you won't abuse it, Your story is short but I know who your Commander is and have an understanding of what kind of person they are. You don't particularly cause problems nor have I seen any if any at all. Just a pretty okay app. But if you want to prove to the rest of the council you can handle being the Highest rank in command, you need to play some more XO and SO for me to gauge your skill/rp in the role. If I can see just a few I'll make a decision based off that (Editted)

Neutral for now.
    Last edited by Bancrose; 12-30-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Reviewed my look at the app.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, this app is extremely underwhelming -1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be real with you here.

We'll start off with your out of game activity. I checked back to your account on the old forums and on how long you've been on the discord. For the forums, your account is just over a month and a half old with only four posts. However, your discord account has had permissions for 4 months now, and you are pretty active on it to say the least.

Onto your in game activity. I've personally never seen you once, and I play at all populations. There are two issues with this. For one, I need to actually know you can RP and such, and two I don't have anything to judge off of your character other than your words, and I need actual experience.

As for your application, most of your answers are pretty average, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Your story on the other hand is very, very underwhelming. Take a look at MattAttlas' story for example. It isn't a novel, or an expert piece of literature. But, it shows effort. I can't tell if you put effort into your story or not.

Overall, I'm going to have to say it's a -1. Make your name a little more known, and try to put a little more effort into your story.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate that you're on the development team, but your application is kinda bare bones.

If you were in command, and an entire squad planetside on Ice at T-COMMS mutinied, what would you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen Tessa Hudson or your other character Ryan Sauderdale in a position of Command. I hardly even see you playing the game, and I play frequently across many different timezones. I can't feasibly advocate for your Captain whitelist if you don't even play Command on CM, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You're incredibly new to the community as well. You've only been around for roughly four months on Discord and you've only been on the forums AND active on the Discord for two months, starting in November. Your post count on Discord in the month of December alone makes up for roughly 3/4ths of all of your messages, suggesting that you've only been active during this month. You've got a whopping SIX posts combined on the old forums and the new forums. You're not somebody who despite their short time in the community, sticks out from the crowd and is talked about all the time, like Katashi Juro when he first began playing Command.

--------------------

The app is in all honesty dogshit.

You don't even properly fill out some of the questions on the app. It looks like you sat down, thought for a minute on what you want to put down, then immediately move onto the next question. In tandem with the generic and short responses to all of the questions, it's clear to me that you put pathetically little effort into your application or how you'd play Captain.

You're asked to "Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals", but you don't actually put a link to the dev app that you wrote and were accepted for. The old forums are still online. It'd take you a minute at most to get that link, but you couldn't even do that. On the fifth question you don't even fully answer it, completely ignoring the third portion that asks "Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?", and you do the same thing on the seventh question with the portion that asks "How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, and an Executive Officer who keeps questioning you", providing no explanation on ANY of these scenarios, or scenarios like them.

You definitely didn't read your own answers, otherwise you would've noticed the glaring errors in the sixth answer and ideally would not have any errors in the ninth or tenth. Given how small your application is I think it's fair to say that you shouldn't have this many misspellings. I would cut you some slack if you weren't a native English speaker, but from what I've heard, English is your first language. I'll admit this is a relatively minor point, but it's worth noting with all of the other signs indicating your lack of effort.

The answers for your app aren't even good, either.

When asked "How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used?", you comment that you think the MPs should handle the situation, but then you immediately say that, "however,... the battlefield 'exercution' can and should be used if there is an immediate threat to my command". It sounds like you're implying you'd use the BE even if the MPs were there and more than available to handle the situation, which isn't a good mentality to openly admit towards having (and as such very much confuses me when Bancrose states that you show you clearly won't abuse BEs).

When asked, "How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship?", your response is generic and bland. It more or less indicates you have no distinct plan for your character and, in my mind, also shows how little you've thought about your character's motivations and backstory; more on that in the coming paragraphs. "I will delegate to the marines in my service" is literally just being a Captain. This is akin to a Predator applicant saying "I will stalk people, and then I will *laugh2 and kill them" for their quirk.

For example, MattAtlas in his Captain application puts an interesting spin onto things by saying he plans on playing a cold, calculative Captain who cares nothing for his men so long as they can do their job, and if they can't, they're nothing to him, to be demoted and replaced by a more efficient marine. That's fucking amazing.

--------------------

The dossier... The character... It saddens me. It really does. The dossier is pathetically small and almost no thought is put into any of the details. It's like a framework of an actual dossier. What does exist isn't interesting, isn't developed, and doesn't really make much sense, but it easily could've been so much more.

Tessa Hudson, first coming aboard this ship, notices the marines are genuinely braindead as they spin in their chairs like monkeys while beating themselves over the head with trays in briefing. Hudson notices how low budget the ship is with the Mark 1 Synthetic with audible motors slowly stomping around the ship, spouting "REPORT:" and "SUGGESTION:" with a painfully annoying shrieking voice. They see that almost everybody is a dumb sheep with no clue what they're doing, and still refuses to listen to orders, either due to sheer incompetence or just the plain principle of "FUKc AuTHhORITY". Hudson? She fucking hates it. She, in your words, "detests it". She then starts to think to herself what the reason for her assignment could be.

Despite thinking to herself that this must clearly be punishment for something she's done, even wondering to herself whether or not a higher-up was being a vindictive jerkwad who just wanted to screw them over with a shitty "promotion", the character then immediately gets over their assignment to the USS Almayer with only two voyages over a span of six months. Despite absolutely hating it prior.

Keep in mind, for most of this time she's in cryostasis (and unable to dwell on her predicament) as the Almayer is travelling to and from planets and stations. A CO with six months under their belt is astonishingly green, with less than a handful of operations led. She reasonably should only still be figuring out just how terrible the USS Almayer is.

It's a little unrealistic just how quickly she gets over it, but what really sucks is that the character's potential is squandered. What could've been built into an interesting character who has pent-up anger issues because she thinks she's "too important" and that her talents are being "misused" on a ship like this, perhaps resorting to the CL as some kind of pseudo-psychologist they can rant towards and occasionally lashing out at marines when a facade of friendliness shatters, is one who's suddenly and unrealistically forced to turn on a dime to become some parental figure for no reason. If she were an older character who served for a much longer duration of time this progression could be natural, but it's not.

That isn't even entirely bad. It could've been salvaged without making her into some old hag with a long record of service aboard the USS Almayer, IF you explained this unnatural disposition to the marines. You mention that the character viewed her assignment as some form of punishment. Why? You gloss over this and don't even explain WHY she would think that, which leads me to assume the character is naturally pessimistic or vengeful, but if you still wanted to go with the paragon Captain idea then this could've easily been a lead-in to an integral part of her backstory.

Perhaps there was a tragic operation where a previous Captain screwed it all up and blamed it all on the then-XO Tessa Hudson? It would've neatly explained why she had these negative thoughts without merely being a paranoid bitch who hated everything and simultaneously explain why she was so sensitive towards the crew while also adding depth to the character's backstory, but uh... Who knows, and really, who cares? It's never mentioned. None of her previous operations are mentioned, in fact. All that's stated is that, uh, basically... she decided to rise and grind. Took it all in stride. Now she's Captain, OORAH.

None of this is good. It's not even average. It's bad. Very bad.

--------------------

I understand this is the CO whitelist, however, and despite the increase in expectations with the new forums and new application, it's still definitely the easiest whitelist to obtain. It's basically XO+ with a couple of neat toys and privileges not shared by any other crew aboard the USS Almayer.

This is both to you, Cakey, and to anybody reading this with the desire to one day earn their Captain rank and lead their men onto the battlefield.

You don't need an unparalleled character that's beautifully designed, has a great looking sprite, cool AND interesting all at once. You don't need a perfect application with no blemishes or marks and wonderful prose. You don't need a fantastic, well written story. You don't need years of play time. You don't need to be constantly playing XO and SO, grinding out those roles to the point of boredom. You don't need to be some CM celebrity that everyone talks about and loves.

You don't need all of these things, but you need at least some of it, and Cakey, you have none of it. As harsh as it may be to say, there is NOTHING that makes you worth whitelisting as a CO. Seriously.

Start playing Command, start playing the game, and main one specific character while you're in Command so that it's easier for you to get a reputation or at least be acknowledged as a Command player. The next time you sit down to write out a Captain application, put far more effort into it than you did with this one. Maybe try DMing a Captain councilman and asking them if they have the time to sit down and go over your app with you, or try asking for help in the #whitelist-app-help channel (which you have not done for this application, checking your posts on the Discord).

I personally recommend asking for the app to be taken down so you can put a better one up at a later date. I doubt you'll be accepted.

Last edited by Kineem; 12-31-2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: ahhh grammar fuck me i can't spell i missed one single fucking thing after rereading numerous times fuck
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post

Snip.

Jesus Christ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what he said, this reminds me of games where you HAVE to write a story and background because the server wants to whitelist every single character
    Last edited by Big Dookie; 12-31-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: i thought of something and im foreign my english is bad

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post

I've never seen Tessa Hudson or your other character Ryan Sauderdale in a position of Command. I hardly even see you playing the game, and I play frequently across many different timezones. I can't feasibly advocate for your Captain whitelist if you don't even play Command on CM, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You're incredibly new to the community as well. You've only been around for roughly four months on Discord and you've only been on the forums AND active on the Discord for two months, starting in November. Your post count on Discord in the month of December alone makes up for roughly 3/4ths of all of your messages, suggesting that you've only been active during this month. You've got a whopping SIX posts combined on the old forums and the new forums. You're not somebody who despite their short time in the community, sticks out from the crowd and is talked about all the time, like Katashi Juro when he first began playing Command.

--------------------

The app is in all honesty dogshit.

You don't even properly fill out some of the questions on the app. It looks like you sat down, thought for a minute on what you want to put down, then immediately move onto the next question. In tandem with the generic and short responses to all of the questions, it's clear to me that you put pathetically little effort into your application or how you'd play Captain.

You're asked to "Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals", but you don't actually put a link to the dev app that you wrote and were accepted for. The old forums are still online. It'd take you a minute at most to get that link, but you couldn't even do that. On the fifth question you don't even fully answer it, completely ignoring the third portion that asks "Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?", and you do the same thing on the seventh question with the portion that asks "How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, and an Executive Officer who keeps questioning you", providing no explanation on ANY of these scenarios, or scenarios like them.

You definitely didn't read your own answers, otherwise you would've noticed the glaring errors in the sixth answer and ideally would not have any errors in the ninth or tenth. Given how small your application is I think it's fair to say that you shouldn't have this many misspellings. I would cut you some slack if you weren't a native English speaker, but from what I've heard, English is your first language. I'll admit this is a relatively minor point, but it's worth noting with all of the other signs indicating your lack of effort.

The answers for your app aren't even good, either.

When asked "How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used?", you comment that you think the MPs should handle the situation, but then you immediately say that, "however,... the battlefield 'exercution' can and should be used if there is an immediate threat to my command". It sounds like you're implying you'd use the BE even if the MPs were there and more than available to handle the situation, which isn't a good mentality to openly admit towards having (and as such very much confuses me when Bancrose states that you show you clearly won't abuse BEs).

When asked, "How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship?", your response is generic and bland. It more or less indicates you have no distinct plan for your character and, in my mind, also shows how little you've thought about your character's motivations and backstory; more on that in the coming paragraphs. "I will delegate to the marines in my service" is literally just being a Captain. This is akin to a Predator applicant saying "I will stalk people, and then I will *laugh2 and kill them" for their quirk.

For example, MattAtlas in his Captain application puts an interesting spin onto things by saying he plans on playing a cold, calculative Captain who cares nothing for his men so long as they can do their job, and if they can't, they're nothing to him, to be demoted and replaced by a more efficient marine. That's fucking amazing.

--------------------

The dossier... The character... It saddens me. It really does. The dossier is pathetically small and almost no thought is put into any of the details. It's like a framework of an actual dossier. What does exist isn't interesting, isn't developed, and doesn't really make much sense, but it easily could've been so much more.

Tessa Hudson, first coming aboard this ship, notices the marines are genuinely braindead as they spin in their chairs like monkeys while beating themselves over the head with trays in briefing. Hudson notices how low budget the ship is with the Mark 1 Synthetic with audible motors slowly stomping around the ship, spouting "REPORT:" and "SUGGESTION:" with a painfully annoying shrieking voice. They see that almost everybody is a dumb sheep with no clue what they're doing, and still refuses to listen to orders, either due to sheer incompetence or just the plain principle of "FUKc AuTHhORITY". Hudson? She fucking hates it. She, in your words, "detests it". She then starts to think to herself what the reason for her assignment could be.

Despite thinking to herself that this must clearly be punishment for something she's done, even wondering to herself whether or not a higher-up was being a vindictive jerkwad who just wanted to screw them over with a shitty "promotion", the character then immediately gets over their assignment to the USS Almayer with only two voyages over a span of six months. Despite absolutely hating it prior.

Keep in mind, for most of this time she's in cryostasis (and unable to dwell on her predicament) as the Almayer is travelling to and from planets and stations. A CO with six months under their belt is astonishingly green, with less than a handful of operations led. She reasonably should only still be figuring out just how terrible the USS Almayer is.

It's a little unrealistic just how quickly she gets over it, but what really sucks is that the character's potential is squandered. What could've been built into an interesting character who has pent-up anger issues because she thinks she's "too important" and that her talents are being "misused" on a ship like this, perhaps resorting to the CL as some kind of pseudo-psychologist they can rant towards and occasionally lashing out at marines when a facade of friendliness shatters, is one who's suddenly and unrealistically forced to turn on a dime to become some parental figure for no reason. If she were an older character who served for a much longer duration of time this progression could be natural, but it's not.

That isn't even entirely bad. It could've been salvaged without making her into some old hag with a long record of service aboard the USS Almayer, IF you explained this unnatural disposition to the marines. You mention that the character viewed her assignment as some form of punishment. Why? You gloss over this and don't even explain WHY she would think that, which leads me to assume the character is naturally pessimistic or vengeful, but if you still wanted to go with the paragon Captain idea then this could've easily been a lead-in to an integral part of her backstory.

Perhaps there was a tragic operation where a previous Captain screwed it all up and blamed it all on the then-XO Tessa Hudson? It would've neatly explained why she had these negative thoughts without merely being a paranoid bitch who hated everything and simultaneously explain why she was so sensitive towards the crew while also adding depth to the character's backstory, but uh... Who knows, and really, who cares? It's never mentioned. None of her previous operations are mentioned, in fact. All that's stated is that, uh, basically... she decided to rise and grind. Took it all in stride. Now she's Captain, OORAH.

None of this is good. It's not even average. It's bad. Very bad.

--------------------

I understand this is the CO whitelist, however, and despite the increase in expectations with the new forums and new application, it's still definitely the easiest whitelist to obtain. It's basically XO+ with a couple of neat toys and privileges not shared by any other crew aboard the USS Almayer.

This is both to you, Cakey, and to anybody reading this with the desire to one day earn their Captain rank and lead their men onto the battlefield.

You don't need an unparalleled character that's beautifully designed, has a great looking sprite, cool AND interesting all at once. You don't need a perfect application with no blemishes or marks and wonderful prose. You don't need a fantastic, well written story. You don't need years of play time. You don't need to be constantly playing XO and SO, grinding out those roles to the point of boredom. You don't need to be some CM celebrity that everyone talks about and loves.

You don't need all of these things, but you need at least some of it, and Cakey, you have none of it. As harsh as it may be to say, there is NOTHING that makes you worth whitelisting as a CO. Seriously.

Start playing Command, start playing the game, and main one specific character while you're in Command so that it's easier for you to get a reputation or at least be acknowledged as a Command player. The next time you sit down to write out a Captain application, put far more effort into it than you did with this one. Maybe try DMing a Captain councilman and asking them if they have the time to sit down and go over your app with you, or try asking for help in the #whitelist-app-help channel (which you have not done for this application, checking your posts on the Discord).

I personally recommend asking for the app to be taken down so you can put a better one up at a later date. I doubt you'll be accepted.

Basically this. Very underwhelming app.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never see you in command role for once. -1

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019