User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the FOB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    I found this design below, which I helped in a minor way, to be a good standard for FoB construction and has oft been copied.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Can confirm, I held in this one until evac, died only because some chucklefuck didn't close the cades when running away, then closed the last one in front of me.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, uh... Didn't know you could shoot through girders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PogoMarimo View Post
    I, uh... Didn't know you could shoot through girders.
    I was suprised when I learned this aswell. I think you can shoot over vending machines aswell now which makes them a lot more useful as barricades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It used to be possible to shoot over vendors, but now they provide some cover.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

What's the construction and engineering skill of synthetics? Also, I've been told construction and engineering skill doesn't affect cade health but something does with barb wire, could you explain this please so I could add this to a guide.
    -Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vendors are better than girders cause they reliably block the glob. Also compartments are good but pill boxes are not. You are wasting supplies when constructing pillboxes in addition to blocking movement.

Wiki Maintainer Emeritus Sargeantmuffinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I contributed to that Trijent FOB was putting that sentry next to that gate to shoot at any xenos that tripped on my landmines.
    George S.Patton once said: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Good hunting.

Staff from 16 May 2016 to 10th September 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally put together a few screenshots to show the Mega FOB constructed by me and three other engies in January. Bravo did Tcomms and the typical lines outside of the Hangar. I had a field day inside the hangar, which I feel goes underutilized most Solaris rounds. Anywho, I'm a huge fan of putting a small defense directly around the main DS door on an LZ and compartmentalizing shit to delay Xeno pushes and marines evac. Since cades are garbage and gas spread is still too large my defense strategy is about establishing fallback stages. I have my own StRaTeGiEs for each LZ but this one was just hilarious so:

Spoiler Spoiler:

There were a few more lines I didn't lay because I am a good-hearted soul who avoids cading cave entrances I don't IC know about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    I found this design below, which I helped in a minor way, to be a good standard for FoB construction and has oft been copied.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Hey, that's my design, I'm even down there in the picture. Thanks for the compliment!
    Now, someone (maybe you) placed a sentry in the small 2x2 compartment next to the dropship console. I think it's a cute place for one, and it works really well too.

I am pretty new to engineering stuff, but I like learning by iteration, trying out a thing a few times, and seeing how it works. What I noticed in this FOB that was lacking was proper gas-proofing. Plasteel doors do not block gas, so now I try to keep girders around every plasteel door exit (usually in the pillboxes), to close the front when all marines have retreated inside. It's not fancy, but it works, and girders block most of the gas shots.
    Another thing is that you could in theory, replace the north/south sandbags with metal, since the girder lets you see it enough to repair it (I haven't tried this yet in combat, and maybe the weaker metal cade isn't worth repairing). East/west metal cades get blocked by the girder sprite and you can't actually repair them.

About that Trijent FOB... That is the best looking FOB i've seen so far in that map, and I can't wait to start doing some major planning on how would a FOB look in there, then look again at your design, to see the differences!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonkified View Post
    vendors are better than girders cause they reliably block the glob. Also compartments are good but pill boxes are not. You are wasting supplies when constructing pillboxes in addition to blocking movement.
    I really appreciate the criticism, and I feel in-game, even some bravo engies have some sort of awkward reverence on my projects and let me do whatever without any cricitcs. Criticism makes us better, and I'm sure different styles certainly help in different situations, so I'll go over your points with my view.

About the vendors, I'll confess I've seen some people use them as racks to shoot from next to the cades, and they were in my list of things to try in a fob. Do vendors need to be up or down for it to work? or does it not matter? I agree, girders sometimes fail to contain the gas, but they usually do their job, and you have lots of them from deconstructing walls (Which I feel you need to do at least in LV to have a decent line of fire to shoot at.

I do disagree on your view on pillboxes tho, since when the first line falls they create a kill zone for xenos, usually forcing xenos to destroy most pillboxes to safely push through the line (this is more noticeable in Big Red). Plus, if I have time, I always leave a stack of filled sandbags, near the front, so you can either plug the hole with sandbags, or reinforce the weakened line with another line of sandbags. All in all, I've seen more success in defending with them than without, so I feel like the higher material cost is justified.

Sandbags are stronger than metal, but the queen+rav will destroy anything in their path, plasteel or not. Xenos have all the tools in the world to destroy FOBs. That being said, if you manage to secure a minimal FOB with metal, and I heavily encourage salvaging (Every map save for Prison has more than 3 full stacks of metal in the inmediate vicinity of the FOB), you can then use the, very fast to build, sandbags to plug holes, make auxiliary lines, etc. Metal serves its purpose, waiting for the sandbags to shine later on.

That being said, I do agree that I don't value mobility much in my style of FOBs, and LV is the worst example since it's so tiny and cramped, that it's hell to make 2 comfortable lines of defense without some major wall deconstruction (which is also on my list, maybe bringing a backpack full of buckshot and a shotgun to make it quicker), or rerouting the tank south or something. I also tend to make small fobs because even with a tiny FOB, people fail to watch over the cade lines, and that leads to spitters melting whole lines, and compromising much of the FOB. That's another reason for me to make tightly packed FOBs. I agree that spacious ones are better, but I'm just adapting to the situation I see currently.

Also, first post (Woo!)
    Vanessa 'Pocket' Miller

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I will mention, some staff indicated that excessive usage of girders is frowned upon.

They said to avoid spamming out girders en mass, the staff seem fine with small scale usage of em, but having entire lines of girders surrounding the FoB is seen as too excessive.

Lets not ruin a good thing.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de