User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justice for the Synthetic Council

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lore doesn't have to be set in stone, if its dumb/bad/out of date lore future councils should be able to change it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Bob said, gameplay/RP should be the more important factor than probability. This whole game is based on a fictional setting, and fiction often takes creative liberties for the sake of storytelling. What's fun and interesting matter more to me than strict realism.

CM lore should be a collaborative effort. This game can't exist without a large community, so its input should be valued. If dev's going to be the only people with any say on background and lore then we're going to be missing out on a lot of creativity. I don't know or really have an opinion on the story writing talent of the entire dev team, but I'm certain we have tremendously capable players whose contributions would be beneficial. The CM story should be collaborative, not just in the hands of a few people.

Anywho that's my 2 cents.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After some discussion with the Devs, I will dropping all of my lore material and ceading the development of it to the dev team.

I don't agree with the vast majority of what was talked about, but that's ok.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that retconning lore should be a last resort. I'd rather not have subjective things change with the seasons.

I may think combat synths are dumb, while the current council may love the idea of synths in combat. This happens enough in politics, with political parties doing everything in their power to undo the work of the last parties visions.

We need a clear goal with lore, not a flavour of the month lore.

If you want players to have more influence in lore, create a lore department which works with the developers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a mistake to keep any writing or lore strictly within the dev team. If people are interested and excited to participate why shut them out? Working out what does and doesn't go well with what we have already is just part of process. There's nothing wrong with editorial oversight but I think we should be open to taking ideas into account

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same devs/admemes who oppose Gameplay/RP in favour of "muh lore" are those who use it once a week in generic event where they spawn Queen Mother on a planet/station/ship that isn't xeno home planet.
    The same spawn hostile UPP while USCM is in "cold war" with them, not in open fight.
    Nearly every piece of lore is in wiki. There is no way in game to learn what year it is, there is no way to learn in game about UPP, or CLF. If other players won't say it out loud, nobody knows.
    At this point nobody cares, lore is already used only to bend and stretch it, or never mention it.
    Removing G1 synths doesn't really make any sense. Synths are supposed to be "advisors", but is this a reason to restrict players to only one option? G1 already know anything and could do as much as G2/G3's, but they do it slower. Does this restrict their "advisory"? Not even by one percent. I would say that this gives them more "advisory" appeal than G2/G3's have.
    Fluff lore about hacking Synths by CLF doesn't fit? Why is that? Statistics about anything are the ultimate obstacle? Maybe another "Toothpaste" post. 9 out of 10 CLF hackers recommend multitool to hack. Would you use it?
    Set solid basics and let players add to the lore. We want to be as far from Fox/Disney cannon as it is possible, aren't we?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    The same devs/admemes who oppose Gameplay/RP in favour of "muh lore" are those who use it once a week in generic event where they spawn Queen Mother on a planet/station/ship that isn't xeno home planet.
    The same spawn hostile UPP while USCM is in "cold war" with them, not in open fight.
    Nearly every piece of lore is in wiki. There is no way in game to learn what year it is, there is no way to learn in game about UPP, or CLF. If other players won't say it out loud, nobody knows.
    At this point nobody cares, lore is already used only to bend and stretch it, or never mention it.
    Removing G1 synths doesn't really make any sense. Synths are supposed to be "advisors", but is this a reason to restrict players to only one option? G1 already know anything and could do as much as G2/G3's, but they do it slower. Does this restrict their "advisory"? Not even by one percent. I would say that this gives them more "advisory" appeal than G2/G3's have.
    Fluff lore about hacking Synths by CLF doesn't fit? Why is that? Statistics about anything are the ultimate obstacle? Maybe another "Toothpaste" post. 9 out of 10 CLF hackers recommend multitool to hack. Would you use it?
    Set solid basics and let players add to the lore. We want to be as far from Fox/Disney cannon as it is possible, aren't we?
    The only queen mother I have ever seen admins use is the verb for it. And that is queen mother who is half a galaxy away on the xeno home planet.
    An actual in-game queen mother alien I have never seen.

And the upp has an uneasy truce after an incident. It's fmpov also so that upp is treated hostile non the less. If you tell the upp it's friendly marines will shoot it on sight anyways.
    It's a finger pointing problem going both ways. Even though there is a truce the Almayer moving in is seen as a hostile action already by the upp. If you read the lore.

Lore note being in-game is normal. The biggest videogames in the world atm are: League of legends. (Lore not visable during gameplay. Yeah you can find it in the client but it's never visible during gameplay.) I do not know apex but got told there is no lore ingame. Counter strike has almost no lore. Minecraft all lore is not in the game. At least not when I last played it. (And yes it has lore.) Hearthstone no lore in the game. And thats the 5 biggest games in the world. Are we just upset we have to press the wiki button?

I already pointed out that this is one of the several things in the document that did not fit the with the lore.
    The short version the clf cannot be hacking synthetics galaxy wide because they are a local entity. That is a terrorist organization from a backwater area. The same way that anyone here can confirm it is unlikely that isis is manufacting attack helicopters. We are not talking about a professional well-trained army. It's a militia even by their own standards. They should not be a match for true soldiers.

If you read the lore the clf is very very low tech. Their armor is made in large workshops. The entire point of the clf is to be ill equipped and low tech. That's why it does not fit.
    Even hypotheticly synthetics that they do have would be needed hard.

And you ask us to set solid basis. We did the CLF is a low tech underequiped entity. That's a solid basis. The lore players submitted goes against this.
    So it's not even expanding or adding to the basis it's changing the already set basis.
    You can complain about Whitelist Councils wanting permissions to add to whitelist lore.
    But once more the clf is not whitelist lore.
    And the official position from the start was you need permission from the person responsible.
    In the end players do not decide upon the rules, marine law, appeals, and reports either.

And no, there is no official policy to stick to Fox/Disney canon or to abandon it. In general anything, we can keep means less hassle so you have that as well.
    Last edited by awan; 04-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awan View Post
    -snip-
    I remember exactly such event round where there was beno with the sprite of a Queen called "Queen Mother". It could screech and even had infamous bodyguard called... "Shadow"... Hehe.

Right, LoL, Heartstone, or CS aren't RP games. You don't have to, or even you are not supposed to role play. I guess you would be considered a shit player if you would try to RP in LoL, or CS "ranking match" instead of doing 100% of what you can. SS13 is completly different type of game.

No, opening wiki isn't a problem, what is a problem is that you don't feel that you are where you are, in specific year, in cold war with UPP etc.
    Few propaganda posters against CLF and UPP with calendar on the wall would tie Gameplay with Lore a bit. Right now it's like bag of chips without ingredients, you have to look them up on the net.

CLF don't have to directly hack synths. 150000 colonists can gather enough founds for some "rogue hackers". Especially from UPP. They hate USCM/WY and it's not uncommon in our world for russia to hand out military gear and help. Look at sect called "Aum Shinriky?". They had the funds, few meetings and they got military training and hardware. Maybe not on large scale, but just fact of hacking is possible. Those Synths are just wandering around colonies permanently, CLF have all the time they need to figure out them. Not to mention that during every CLF event I encountered, CLF soldiers were way better trained than marines and they are supposed to be farmers. They knew medicine, they could operate loaders, they could drive tanks, they could build cades, they could hack doors.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that the CLF shouldn't be able to commit to some high level and technologically required action. The

I think the vast majority of people here agree that the CLF are akin the Vietcong. The Vietcong were a scattered but trained and highly motivated militia, with access to heavy arms and the political backing of NV, China and the the SU. I see no reason why the CLF couldn't have a similar resume.