24 48.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like boilers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like boilers

I wanna know what other folk's opinions are.
    I have a lots of reasons why I hate boilers.
    One, you cant counter gas. Used to be able to. Gas mask and O2 left you safe. But now you might as well not even try. I haven't tried it again for a long while, but I died the last time and I don't feel like testing to see if gimping my sight and wasting a pocket slot is a good idea.
    Two, you aren't killing a boiler at long range. They'll just walk away or have another xeno standing in front of it tanking shots while it preps to fire. Because for some unknown reason a big ass charger doesn't obstruct the shot.
    Three, catching one alone isn't easy. Aside from rare instances they're always guarded heavily. They're integral to every xeno strategy so they'll be guarded at the cost of other xeno lives and their long range sight is going to give them ample time to react and start running before marines close in. Flanks aren't viable, its risky to divide the marine forces. If you happen to crit one, with a mortar, OB, or just lucky enough that it sits there and eats enough bullets it will be dragged off to safety.
    Four, and this is new, fucking rail gun. It's more annoying than anything. It won't kill you, but getting crit from out of nowhere is the most disgusting thing the dev team has done. Tanks could gib xenos in one shot, but the tank has counters and can no longer begin with it's most powerful set up. Boilers are 10 times more of a pain than a tank that would periodically ff and only get a few kills a round.

Boilers do not have a counter. You can deter a boiler and that's about it. No amount of sustained long range fire, orbital strikes, or mortar rounds will kill a boiler. Just get it to stop firing long enough for engineers to fix cades. Unless there's 2 boilers. Then you might as well just pull back because when they alternate fire there's really no point in standing near cades that do nothing.

Boilers make the game unfun. It's like if you're out playing in the street with friends and have to stop and get out of the way because a car is coming. Playing a boiler is not fun. It is the epitome of low risk high reward. It makes sense that in the grand scheme of things it's very much out of place. There was never a long range bombardment xenomorph. There is a boiler, it's a kamikaze. The excuse will be that the dev team isn't following aliens lore anymore. Doesn't mean it's a good addition. We don't have things like barbed wire, drones, or remote detonators. Very useful things that make a lot of sense. I honestly don't feel this way about other xeno castes. Runners are annoying, but they die easy. Ravagers are glass cannons. Burrowers are cheesy sneaky little fucks, but you're not alone not shit they can do. Even the shitty as Warrior grab gives me less problems. Why am I not bothered by how the other xenos work? Because while I might die to other xenos, they can vary. I'm not always running into and dying to the same xeno, but I'm always stuck behind a line of cades because there's a cloud of cancer in my way.

I just hate boilers. Why are they a thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the unfun part, with smoke making it impossible to see anything being sieged just feels boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boilers have always struck me as a necessary evil.

Its a direct result of the FoB centric, defensive, gameplay that Marines are put into. The game entirely revolves around an attack/defence where generally, assuming both teams are on equal footing, the Marines are on the defensive and thus rely on FoBs.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a thousand boilers to never have to be neuroed/tackled from 100-0 without being to fire a shot, again.

THAT truely has no counter. Other than a hopefully lucky pb. At least a boiler cloud doesnt leave you needing surgery if you do survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do not see the point of the new boiler ability, why was this added? I never heard any complaints from xeno or marine players regarding the boiler, sure there was the usual "FUCKING ONE HIT CRIT CLOUD!!!11" but nothing where people called for the boiler to be buffed to this extent.

This just feels like they gave xenos a 360noscoper caste that can insta stun marines even when they're behind cover, wihout even having to dodge shots or take any risks, unlike the spitter that while annoying it has to actually get close and put some effort into neuro'ing you.

If the idea was to make the railgun caste actually useful then I think this is the wrong approach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    I really do not see the point of the new boiler ability, why was this added? I never heard any complaints from xeno or marine players regarding the boiler, sure there was the usual "FUCKING ONE HIT CRIT CLOUD!!!11" but nothing where people called for the boiler to be buffed to this extent.

This just feels like they gave xenos a 360noscoper caste that can insta stun marines even when they're behind cover, wihout even having to dodge shots or take any risks, unlike the spitter that while annoying it has to actually get close and put some effort into neuro'ing you.

If the idea was to make the railgun caste actually useful then I think this is the wrong approach.
    Railgun is being reworked to not ignore barricades, but it deals enough damage to solo an FOB (if marines are not defending and repairing it properly) or provide helpful support in picking away at an FOB faster than usual.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FOBs were already shit anyways, when is the last time you have seen a game where marines retreat to FOB and whittle down the xenos and turn the tide? Railgun is stupid as fuck. Boilers are stupid as fuck. Boilers should be capped based on how many xenos there are because going heavy boiler makes the game unfun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like boilers, but as marine I feel like the gas clouds are way too big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it's the amount of visual obscuring the clouds provide which is most annoying, that could be addressed by dropping the rate of fire in exchange for having the clouds have heavier damage/worse effects when they do hit - or the clouds could be made to spread less, in exchange for a higher rate of fire?

railgun boiler is a bit annoying because there is little counterplay to it unlike regular boiler where you can at least see the blob coming and try to walk away. i am at a loss on how to come up with compromises regarding it.

the trouble is boilers aren't exactly the most exciting to play, either, due to their fragility, bad stealth, bad speed, and low rate of fire, so nerfs to them risk degrading the gameplay quality significantly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man... Boiler is easy to kill. Let it throw a gas and acid.. Then rush or be robust. Don't mind your comdrades.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019