Cey SOP Meer
    Their BYOND Key
    Solidfury
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    6:30 PM 6/2/19
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Enforcement of the rules
    Description of the incident
    So, i called to a MP to come here, and was showing him the smartscope on M44, and shot it twice, the MP responded by whipping out a M39 and shooting me. i ahelped, and solidfury told me "Mentor PM from SolidFury7: If you are firing at an MP, they can shoot you, they don't have to use a taser, although it is recommended to."

However, marine law clearly states

Lethal Force

During emergencies such as mutinies and boardings or against suspects who have used a lethal weapon against law enforcement or other personnel, the Chief MP or Commanding Officer may authorize the use of lethal force.

And in arrest procedure, the only way you can go about arresting someone, is by applying non-lethal force.

As, no CO/CMP gave authorization for force, the MP broke SOP in arrest procedure.

This MP, clearly broke ML, however, Solidfury let him get away with it, furthermore, Solidfury told me he was the "ML mentor" when i asked if someone else could handle the issue, as he is CMP banned, for breaking ML, he said someone else could pick it up. (i got no further iniput by anyone but him.) so i just dropped the issue as the round was ending, to speak to EB.
    Evidence
    you guys can pull logs better than i.
    How you would punish the accused
    please remove someone who breaks ML, from governing marine law, as they are clearly making rulings incorrectly, within their own play, and now as a mentor, responding as a moderator.
    Last edited by Ceyella; 06-02-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I directed Ceyella to make a staff report if they were dissatisfied with my judgement.

You have deliberately misrepresented yourself during this argument. You shot at the MP, who fired back in response, I did a quick check on you and you did not appear to be very wounded, and they were dragging you away in to custody.

Previous rulings on situations such as this, such as marines firing at MPs who were using riot shotguns (which look and sound exactly like regular shotguns) and similar situations regarding marines firing at MPs in both lethal situations and "joking" manners, which resulted in MPs returning limited gunfire (Reflexively).

My observation of the situation deemed that if this was dealt with by another member of staff, they would have more than likely deemed this an IC issue, warning both sides to be careful with the actions, and i

I was the only member of staff not AFK during this and for quite sometime, so I picked up a handful of the smaller ahelps I could deal with, before making an announcement on the discord for additional staff to assist, shortly after Aceluke returned.

Upon your request to speak to someone else, I did post in Mchat that anyone else should grab the ahelp if I'm wrong on this matter. However I got no response, Aceluke began mass-dealing with the remaining ahelps I did not deal with (which was a fair amount at this point), and I informed him that I dealt with a prior MP ahelp before, just incase he missed it.

I was going to PM to MP in question and politely inform him that he should always try to stick to using tasers unless he has no other alternative, however, due to the rather stack of ahelps coming through, the change in direction with both mine and Ceyllas conversation asking for a second opinion and making some rather bold comments to say the least, the discord SOS I needed to send and being the only engineer at the Northern Pods fortiications during a boarding, it slipped my mind as it all got rather intense, considering I was the only staff on duty and not AFK during High Pop on a Sunday.

I have often assisted the staff over the years with dealing with the more simple cases in emergencies, as I've been a member of the staff team for quite a few years now, and dealt with issues in the best capacity I can with my limited powers. I've had more than a few staff recommend that I "phase" into moderator and that I should dip my toe in the water and do so.

Regarding the ML mentor comment, that was partially the reason I was drafted on to the team, alongside my medical knowledge if I recall. Staff often ask for my thoughts on certain cases or have asked me to grab clearer cut ones because marine law is quite complicated for those who don't actively play it day to day. So the active joke is it's the only thing I deal with, as medical is pretty easy to deal with.

I grabbed this ahelp so you wouldn't be in limbo along with a few other chaps, so I was quite astonished when you decided to attack my character and demand second opinions, because I had a CMP ban which was since lifted. The ahelp was grabbed and dealt with in the best capacity as a mentor, as I am unable to punish anyone beyond friendly warnings and mentor notes for newer players.
    Last edited by solidfury7; 06-03-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs

Combat Logs

Spoiler Spoiler:

Staff ahelp log

Spoiler Spoiler:

There were calls at the time for mods/admins to get on the server in our staff discord, and during times of very low staff no mods/no admins, a mentor can take ahelps and tell a mod/admin after the fact "Hey I had to do this."

The other thing is shooting at an MP as a joke is pretty LRP to begin with even with IFF on, and his response of shooting you one time looks like "OH SHIT" moment to me. Normally we tell players if they're being griefed to ahelp and not shoot back, but people do have a right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger.

Ceyella
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    I directed Ceyella to make a staff report if they were dissatisfied with my judgement.

You have deliberately misrepresented yourself during this argument. You shot at the MP, who fired back in response, I did a quick check on you and you did not appear to be very wounded, and they were dragging you away in to custody.
    You did not, direct me to make a staff report, that i saw, or the logs show, please do not lie on staff reports.

Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    I was going to PM to MP in question and politely inform him that he should always try to stick to using tasers unless he has no other alternative, however, due to the rather stack of ahelps coming through, the change in direction with both mine and Ceyllas conversation asking for a second opinion and making some rather bold comments to say the least, the discord SOS I needed to send and being the only engineer at the Northern Pods fortiications during a boarding, it slipped my mind as it all got rather intense, considering I was the only staff on duty and not AFK during High Pop on a Sunday.
    You also, have broken the staff protocol;
    2. Investigate the situation
    a. Contact anyone involved and get their side of the story.

The other thing is shooting at an MP as a joke is pretty LRP to begin with even with IFF on, and his response of shooting you one time looks like "OH SHIT" moment to me. Normally we tell players if they're being griefed to ahelp and not shoot back, but people do have a right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger.

I have two notes for shooting back after people shoot me with no xenos/etc around, so i know very well, we are never to do it back, and that was with lethal weapons.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceyella View Post
    You did not, direct me to make a staff report, that i saw, or the logs show, please do not lie on staff reports.

You also, have broken the staff protocol;
    2. Investigate the situation
    a. Contact anyone involved and get their side of the story.

I have two notes for shooting back after people shoot me with no xenos/etc around, so i know very well, we are never to do it back, and that was with lethal weapons.
    Just because you didn't see it didn't mean it did not occur.

It was said on deadchat, after you were complaining about this issue.

Deflecting the fact you just lied or at the very least omitted the reality of the situation by instead accusing me of lying. When these logs will be exceedingly easy to grab on request.

I investigated the situation as best I could with the limited tools, I am not in a position of power to make official punishments

Mentors do not have the investigative tools to check logs, variables and other such items, and I was exceedingly stretched, being the only member of staff (a mentor at that) during high pop at a weekend. As I previously stated, I offered the case to the next available staff available.

Acting in an emergency situation, when no staff were present I believe my actions were present. The MP in action did not act in malice nor did he appear to be abusing his power in this situation. So I ruled the actions IC and he would have received a friendly nudge telling him to be careful, just as you did.

All I can say regarding this situation is, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I'll be leaving this thread to the judgement of the staff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not happen often, but it does occasionally come up where a mentor has to attempt to resolve a matter to the best of their abilities due to no other staff being on, and other staff not being reachable. Did he make an incorrect call? Yes. Will he be removed for a single incorrect call as a staff member? Of course not.

To clarify the IC issue MPs are allowed to carry sidearms in order to dissuade xenos when they first appear on the ship, and to have some sort of way to fight back against them. Not to go lethals when there are other much more effective tools at their disposal. Though it looks like a miss click to me frankly as you were shot once, then tazered only seconds later.

Resolved. Solidfury7 will be spoken to accordingly.