User Tag List

Thread: Frankie - Ban Appeal (Job/Role Ban)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankie - Ban Appeal (Job/Role Ban)

Ban Appeal
    Byond ID?
    Max Normal
    Character Name?
    Frank "Moon" Flow
    Type of Ban?
    Job/Role Ban
    If jobban, which job are you appealing?
    Xeno
    Admin who banned you (if known)
    -
    Total Ban Duration
    perm
    Remaining Duration
    I was told it's a month ban. Been a month already, I think.
    What other servers do you play on?
    Just CM
    Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?
    Never.
    Reason for Ban
    I was playing with my 4 yr old daughter on my lap, and spawned as a larva when solo Queen died. I didn't want to keep the 100+ players waiting with delayalien tactics, and asked my daughter if we should try to sneak into the Alamo (and probably die trying). We did that, and got past 3 marine fireteams. The fourth shot us, and we got permabanned for intentional suicide.
    Link to previous appeals for the same ban (if applicable):
    -
    Your appeal, including evidence (screenshots, etc)
    I think I did what was best for the whole community, by not delaying the game end, when everyone else but me was dead. Besides, if I -had- been able to get onto Alamo and hide, perhaps the whole spectatoring group would've had a fun time waiting. I think I didn't break the spirit of the rules, but sure do understand the admin was doing his job.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notes:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made another thread to appeal a smartgunner ban. You may only appeal one at a time so please choose one for the appeal to be processed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I choose xeno ban. I can apply for the SG ban later, I suppose.

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time when you died, there was still 4 other xenos alive. It was possible at the time Xenos still had a chance to win.

Regardless, a question. If you knew there was still 4 other xenos, would you have done the same thing you did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I answer, let me elaborate the situation from my perspective. Not to justify my hastily made choices, but to enlighten the reasoning behind them.

With my daughter visiting me, we had spectated the round for quite a while with great interest, as always. So, it was a family moment rather than focused gameplay. I find CM a great learning tool on various aspects of life - not only for myself, but also for the kid.

So, to the instance that got me permabanned from xenos. This is how I see it:

The queen was the only xeno alive when the marines cornered and slay her. I was born as larva literally the same second, and I was - as I still am - under impression that I was the only existing xeno player left. Perhaps a few more larvas bursted after that before I perished. I cannot come up with any other explanation how there could've been 4 other xenos when I died. While spectating, "follow xeno" is perhaps the button is the interface I most often press. And I swear there was no other xenos but Queen, when she died, and I spawned.

Of course I could've hidden, go drone and then Queen. Try a desperate capture, and start the hive again. Fifteen minutes more to the duration of the round, if not more. Doable? Yes. Worth it? In my sincere opinion, not at all. I think players log onto CM not to spectate, but to get involved with the game.

As an experienced drone, I believe I could've survived solo for a remarkable amount of time. But then again - I haven't played queen, and thus wasn't too excited about how it had unexpectedly turned out. I could've been a delaydrone par exellance, until gotten embarrasingly slain as a solo bald Queen. But I didn't see the point or purpose trying that in the given situation. If done in a special way, it might be a memorable and funny moment, and thus given justification. Besides, I was aiming first and foremost for quality family time. That, I hope explains my decisions.

I am a long time tabletop and computer rpg enthusiast, and try to play games like this to have positive memories, for everyone involved. In this case my concerns were mainly on the massive spectating (and impatient for the next round) crowd, and my daughter. Like a good father I try to be, I wanted the round to have a - if not happy (for the xenos), at least a funny, and perhaps an educative ending.

I didn't have much time to think there - with all the marines around and the sped up bioscans - so I asked my daughter if we should try sneaking onto the Alamo, and then wreak havoc there until caught. She was excited about the plan, so we set forth with it.

The admin who banned me claims that I committed an intentional suicide. I deny that claim, since we passed two, if not three teams of marines on our amok towards Alamo. We took course between those fatal-to-be marine team members, hoping to have a laugh at them shooting at each other. But they had more luck (or skill) than us, and our larva was slain. We did have a laugh, but it ended short along with the ban.

Now, to answer the question. I have tried to sneak onto Alamo a few times, and failed miserably every single time. As expected. But I've spectated such happening a few times, and it's great fun. I know I am expected to show remorse, but I value honesty. So, I probably will try to sneak onto Almayer every now and then, if I ever get a chance and see the need for such an effort.

I find CM to be a great game, and I think I understand the rules pretty well. Sometimes I end up having differing opinions about matters with admins, but it's perfectly natural. I was surprised I got permabanned for xenos for this incident.

I am not a griefer or anything. I know my record shows some shootings of other players. My daughter is in the age when policemen, firefighters and soldiers are very interesting. She often insist me to play MP, but most of times she loses interest in my mp rounds, since mostly nothing happens that I am able to share with her in a way a kid understands.

Shooting a griefer in the head was a perfect opportunity to show her the story from the other side. Show what the MPs do to, when we break the rules. Sitting in the brig would've given us plenty of time to discuss the mp organization, marine law, prison sentences etc.

I also honestly think that if some asshole hammering the kick button in the req gets shot in the head in the game might mature into an exemplar marine while pondering their actions while the doc is fixing the bullet holes in their crane. Same thing with the criminal. Brig - or firing squad can be surprisingly educative. We often grow learning from our mistakes, don't we? And I bet the mps rather roleplay their characters doing their jobs, than see the culprits swiftly kicked off the server.

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. First off; We've decided to lift the Xenoban. However, you need to know some things.

1. Never suicide as a Larva. Even if it's the end of the round, evolve first.
    2. Your notes are pretty bad. Try not to break the rules much, please.
    3. Your daughter situation will not change how we enforce the rules.

Resolved - Accepted, lifting now.