User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: holy shit Carson actually got punished for being a shitter for once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    Personally, I think the mutiny over walking was retarded. Yes, it was a stupid order. No, it wasn't OOCly to order it. No, it wasn't intentional or baited griefing.

I think our current admins shouldn't rely on purely admin methods of dealing with everything. It's a crutch and a weakness. Its also disgusting to have stuff dealt with that way. Sure, a situation needs to be brought under control, but telling people "This situation never happened" is kind of dumb...

This particular situation serving as the example. Handle it IC via your powers as HC with, if at all, a mix of admin powers.

Also, for fucks sake.

Just because Delta is � "Delta", doesn't mean they get a free pass either. Just because you can start shit at every opportunity doesn't mean you should. Its easy to start shit, get people hurt and disrupt the round without ever getting noted for it as a Pfc. Just because you COULD do it, doesn't mean you should. You are RPing a marine, not a Rambo or whatever other disorganized asshole character you are trying to play. If you want to play as a Rambo who fights the power and kills command every round cause "Fuck da MPs!", please go play Corporate Merc or some other server whenever it comes out. Hell, make your own server. I know the source code and stuff is out there.

Probably gonna get hate these sentiments but who the hell cares. If you are reading this and get pissed, then you should reevaluate how you play.

With Love,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Asshole,

Vispain
    You're not getting flak from me, because I agree with everything you just said.

Am I the only person who perceives that staff doesn't want to deal with squad marines (I.e. pfc on up to SL)? I can only speculate why that'd be the case, which I don't believe is fair so I won't do it, but I definitely sense that squad marines/mains are treated like every round is their story and fuck everyone else's time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmachine View Post
    Am I the only person who perceives that staff doesn't want to deal with squad marines (I.e. pfc on up to SL)?
    Well, there is a reason for this, and I don't think it's wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by the rest though. This IS the marine's story, the xenos ICly have no sense of ambition or pride beyond maybe the queen. Xenos have a much higher expectation to not fuck around because they are supposed to be an extension of the queen, not their own personalities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ok to create the environment where people FEEL like they are the main character of THEIR story, but the reality is, they shouldn't become the main character of the whole story. That's where the issue comes in. A Pfc? It's ok for them to feel like they have a grand role and, at times they do, but overall in the grand scheme they are just 1 marine who has the lowest rank on the entire force. They are cannon fodder at their worst and a 1-5 xeno kills hero marine at their best.

The world shouldn't come crashing down because a single Pfc decides he wishes it to. That's what has to be prevented. A mutiny that starts because 5 random asshats want to mutiny... no. Either Admins crack down on those cases where it's legitimately dumb shit (which I oppose personally because I dislike most direct staff involvement such as ASleeps and "This never happened BS") or they give reasons for why marines IC should NOT do dumb shit. IE: A ARES announcement/USCM HC Hail that is declaring the ship rogue should X Y Z occur.

An example where admins played it right without just doing asleeps and dumb shit like that?
    Early round mutiny - pre-briefing over dumb reason (isolated shootout in CIC between CO and marine - marine initiated - becomes Mutiny) > CO killed, CIC staff being killed on sight by randoms > Admins make a High Command announcement that the Almayer is registering the Commander dead or whatnot, SD countdown only being able to be prevented by the CO's ID being used at the main console to sign in with HC... > Mutineers unable to sign in, one of the last Pilot Officers sent a message to HC about the situation requesting aid. > HC cancels the SD and sends a Captain (this was pre-CO Captaincy rank) with a Special Ops team to keep him alive (more crucial then you think, just one HC sent officer would have literal realistic power except in rank authority, which doesn't matter when the marines mutiny and are killing any SOs they see) and resecure the ship and reestablish a command structure on the Almayer thus continuing the operation despite all active staff command having been murdered to the last > Few mutineers in CIC are executed where they stand after they are found opening fire on the last POs, HC team reestablishes command, manages the operation, passes on command to a newly awaken SO, ends up evaccing intact around the time the xenos send up the Alamo.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 01-05-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the main complaint I see from xeno players about mutinies is that it robs them of a proper endgame. Perhaps a platoon of marines should be called at the conclusion of a successful mutiny, something to make it less impactful on the numbers so more people than the Captain can be dead when it's over. I understand the loyalty spirals end up inspiring murderboning, but there has to be some way of combating it after the mutineers instantly storm CIC violently while the loyalists are planetside doing their jobs (beyond saying 'It's over stop fighting' in OOC).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    It's ok to create the environment where people FEEL like they are the main character of THEIR story, but the reality is, they shouldn't become the main character of the whole story. That's where the issue comes in. A Pfc? It's ok for them to feel like they have a grand role and, at times they do, but overall in the grand scheme they are just 1 marine who has the lowest rank on the entire force. They are cannon fodder at their worst and a 1-5 xeno kills hero marine at their best.

The world shouldn't come crashing down because a single Pfc decides he wishes it to. That's what has to be prevented. A mutiny that starts because 5 random asshats want to mutiny... no. Either Admins crack down on those cases where it's legitimately dumb shit (which I oppose personally because I dislike most direct staff involvement such as ASleeps and "This never happened BS") or they give reasons for why marines IC should NOT do dumb shit. IE: A ARES announcement/USCM HC Hail that is declaring the ship rogue should X Y Z occur.

An example where admins played it right without just doing asleeps and dumb shit like that?
    Early round mutiny - pre-briefing over dumb reason (isolated shootout in CIC between CO and marine - marine initiated - becomes Mutiny) > CO killed, CIC staff being killed on sight by randoms > Admins make a High Command announcement that the Almayer is registering the Commander dead or whatnot, SD countdown only being able to be prevented by the CO's ID being used at the main console to sign in with HC... > Mutineers unable to sign in, one of the last Pilot Officers sent a message to HC about the situation requesting aid. > HC cancels the SD and sends a Captain (this was pre-CO Captaincy rank) with a Special Ops team to keep him alive (more crucial then you think, just one HC sent officer would have literal realistic power except in rank authority, which doesn't matter when the marines mutiny and are killing any SOs they see) and resecure the ship and reestablish a command structure on the Almayer thus continuing the operation despite all active staff command having been murdered to the last > Few mutineers in CIC are executed where they stand after they are found opening fire on the last POs, HC team reestablishes command, manages the operation, passes on command to a newly awaken SO, ends up evaccing intact around the time the xenos send up the Alamo.
    Right back at you. Because Carson wants to be a petty tyrant is no excuse for him to make everyone else's round miserable for literally no reason. He's not the ~main character~ either. What does making everyone walk and telling the MPs to arrest anyone who doesn't do to make the round fun for anyone besides him and the MPs? How does it enhance the round?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troika View Post
    Right back at you. Because Carson wants to be a petty tyrant is no excuse for him to make everyone else's round miserable for literally no reason. He's not the ~main character~ either. What does making everyone walk and telling the MPs to arrest anyone who doesn't do to make the round fun for anyone besides him and the MPs? How does it enhance the round?
    Why does using the walk setting for less than 30 minutes make you miserable? I'm not sure if people we're getting arrested before they even got to their preps but the vast majority of people did not have their 'round ruined' over a slower movement speed or at worse a 5 minute charge (not including one's own decision to resist). Things only became vaguely near 'ruined' when delta started killing MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is the main character but the Commanding Officer is well...the highest power on the ship. Rank Matters. If we define main character as "who has the most impact on a round", it'd be the Commander and the queen. Like it or not, they set the round up and their choices, even the smallest, can have profound impacts on the round. Without rank and orders, matches are just TDM of marines running around hoping to find some xenos and kill 'em. I think its why we got common comms lost. To promote reliance on Command.
    Walking isn't ruining the round, its only on the ship. Hell, from what I understand it seems the whole issue arose from a isolated fist fight that gave some Deltas who wanted to mutiny on a Carson round the loose justification to.

As for the other bit, walking isn't exactly ruining anyone's round. Sure, you don't have to obey, but expect a MP to get on you then (avoid doing it in front of MPs)�

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually looking on the situation the reason for Carson ordering marines to walk was only on the ALMAYER. People who were complaining were making it seem like he ordered the marines to walk even on the op on the ground.It probably would've created more RP with marines doing NJPs by filling up rifle mags with a handful of bullets but of course it was the MP team that kind of failed him. I don't really believe that people would run in their own base or on their own ship unless told by a superior or if they're late for something. It was a stupid rule because of course people would break it cause theres only 5 MPs this is also including the CMP so making sure this rule would be enforced would be quite hard over 50+ marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason carson was punished at all was because there were enough people whining about it. The whiners should've been ignored - you listen to them too much and you get a server where every little issue has to be dealth with by admins like you're looking after a kindergarten. Just imagine if every bad FF, OB, grenade, whatever got you bwoinked and banned. Ridiculous and untenable for what this server is.

There wasn't any big issue with having to walk in the halls. I didn't even know it was an order until Carson told everyone to walk to the dropships in brief. Which they all did, except half of Delta, who decided to hole up in prep and protest. Their little mutiny was fun to watch and I enjoyed seeing the unrobust MP's getting beaten to death on Delta's overwatch cameras.

Carson's response to the mutiny was entirely reasonable, Delta mutiny to carsons orders was also entirely reasonable. It wasn't at all necessary for admins to chime in and tell people to cut it out halfway through - this actually ruined much of the culminating fun and I suspect only happened because of whiners whining.

Once carson was dead, the mutiny petered out, and the show rolled on.

The only way I'd have had any problem with any of it is if it happened often enough that it got boring.

And frankly had this been some other CO, I doubt there would've been a mutiny at all. It really felt like people were mutinying because it was carson, not because he did anything wrong - very much rather than carson 'baiting' a mutiny, it was more like mutineers 'baited' carson. And likewise it feels like this punishment is pushed more because particular people have carson living rent free in their heads, rather than because of anything he actually did.

Poor show by the admin staff imo. Worse show by players who clearly have a stick up their ass about carson - e.g. troika previously in the thread.
    Last edited by Boersgard; 01-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Mutinying For Walkspeed Real Hahahaha Delta Just Click The Walk Button On Your Screen Like Delta Close Your Game Haha

Had it been any other whitelisted Commanding Officer, this mutiny would not have happened, plain and simple. But no, there has to be uproar over nothing for valids on a Carson round.
    I had the misfortune of rolling synth this round, who the fuck are any of you to cry over a ruined round?