Their BYOND Key
    sleepyretard
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    10:05 GMT, 1/3/2019
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    - Remain professional, no matter what happens

- Do not abuse your power
    Description of the incident
    I was playing SO as a character of mine called Scott Tetsuzan, a character I have created and have been playing for a few months now. My character's main language is not English, so my character speaks somewhat well at times and somewhat poorly at times.

Sleepyretard attacked my RP style, saying that my RP style was "not using the grammar rules". As far as I have checked on the rules page, there is no entry that mentions every character must have perfect grammar or else.

Furthermore, Sleepyretard mentioned that the reason I was using this RP style was because of a previous ahelp I had asked towards another staff member. In this staffhelp I had asked if it would be considered against the rules to make a rebellious character that would would refuse to deploy. It was resolved in me being told by the moderators online that it would be against the rules. I had asked if the moderators could ask an admin on the ruling so I could get the final say which created friction. However, I was certainly not upset and simply wanted to ask before I might have done something wrong by making a bad character. Sleepyretard was very unprofessional and assumed that I was angry about this previous Ahelp and was adopting my character's way of talking because of said previous ahelp. This is not the case; I have been playing this character for several months now, and I have been talking in the same manner without issue until now.

I used to play a character called Yousuke Takahashi that would speak remarks in Japanese and I was given a note for this in the past, so I toned it down with my current character, Scott Tetsuzan, who only speaks English with an accent and poor grammar.

I'm upset that Sleepyretard attacked my roleplay style that has been done by other players many times over the years, and by myself in the past few months without issue. I'm upset that he used a harmless Ahelp in which I wanted to clarify if something was bad or not before I got myself in trouble as a reason to ban me.
    EvidenceHow you would punish the accused
    Unban me, and issue a warning to Sleepyretard.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Excellent I was informing Sleepy in msay that this is something you were going for. "Someone who doesn't speak perfect english". In one of your ahelps you made me out as an example. But at the most I don't use broken english, and most of the german I use are just small phrases that don't really make the sentence more difficult to understand.

Now imagine playing as a Commissioned Officer that is required to communicate to everyone, but choosing not to communicate properly despite knowing how to. Not only does this hinder the operation but its pretty stupid especially in a role where all you do is talk to people and give orders. Now roleplaying as a Bald, Fresh Butterbar LT is completely fine. But making yourself out to be a complete fool even though we all know you are capable of perfect english is not acceptable, especially not in this role.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the previous moderator in regards to the character who would refuse to deploy. I do not feel this description of the incident was accurate, and severely underplays how adrenalinetooth acted. It was resolved only after an extensive argument, which ended in myself and several other moderators informing him that we would no longer argue the point with him, and that it would be a rule violation to make a character that refuses to deploy as per Roleplay Standards for USCM: "Marines: All personnel employed by the USCM are mentally stable and physically fit for duty. They would not desert their post or go against the USCM without a good reason."

After this event, adrenalinetooth asked that an admin be messaged to ask about it, when the request was refused, they continued to insist and say they would contact Head Staff themselves to ask for clarification. It is my opinion that they were uncooperative towards multiple moderators, myself included, over the ruling.

This finally brings us to the next round, in which adrenalinetooth joined as SO, resulting in at least one ahelp asking for a mentor for andrenalinetooth. It is my opinion that he was once again uncooperative, especially with the handling moderator. Finally, it is my opinion that this report is deceptively worded to severely downplay the actions of adrenalinetooth, and make it sound like sleepyretard was acting in an unprofessional manner.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you were talking in general instead of squad comms, and being generally silent. playing an SO that is incompetent to this is extent is soft griefing, caitilyn amyx style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    Ah, Excellent I was informing Sleepy in msay that this is something you were going for. "Someone who doesn't speak perfect english". In one of your ahelps you made me out as an example. But at the most I don't use broken english, and most of the german I use are just small phrases that don't really make the sentence more difficult to understand.

Now roleplaying as a Bald, Fresh Butterbar LT is completely fine. But making yourself out to be a complete fool even though we all know you are capable of perfect english is not acceptable, especially not in this role.
    Yes. I, as a human being on this earth born in Canada can perfectly speak english. However, Scott Tetsuzan is not me. Scott doesn't speak great English, so it's not fair for you to say it's not acceptable.

I was giving orders, I was doing my job. The XO came over to situate me, and I was on my merry way. I couldn't think of anyone but Heinz in the moment, but I met much, MUCH worse English speaking characters multiple times in the past that I couldn't quote in the moment. You've met them, we've all met them. These players are around because there isn't any rule against that yet here I am getting banned for it.

To quote the Staff Protocols:
    a. Determine the bare minimum punishment. There's no reason to jump straight to a ban, especially if the incident didn't cause a major disruption to the game.
    If I say "Mueller helped but I was not the briefing" versus "Mueller helped me but I was not at briefing", is this seriously a major distruption to the game? I'm still doing my job, and I am still giving orders.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As clarification, I had stated grammar rules implying rules of grammar, not an ooc rule enforcing grammar use.

Washed up CM-SS13 Host NGGJamie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHelp regarding his grammar, and exchanged PMs
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Grammar at-issue.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Synthetic Application-Leonard [Accepted] - Predator Application-Thei-De Na'Tauk [Accepted]

Mentor: 06/28/2017 - 08/07/2017 / Trial Moderator 08/07/2017 - 08/25/17 / Moderator 08/25/17 - 10/11/17 / Trial Admin 10/11/17 - 10/30/17 / Senior Mentor 10/30/17 - 03/15/18 / Mod Manager 03/15/18 - 07/08/18 / Coder 07/08/18 - 07/27/18 / Host 07/27/18 - 10/19/22

I run Linux on all of my machines and actively reject Windows. I have some cool dotfiles up on Github for configuring some of my favorite stuff.

Contact Info:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are an English speaking server.

If someone is a poor English speaker do we out right ban them? No we do not. As long as we can see they are making an effort we let them stay.

But what it boils down to in the end is this. If you were a person who spoke English very poorly and you were in a role of high importance, would we step in and remove you from that position? And the answer to that is yes, it happens all the time where we contact a poor English speaker and have them cryo and re-enter the game as a role of less importance. Or we remove a Queen for the same reasons.

But you are not a poor English speaker. This was something you were intentionally doing. And the only thing that came from it was to make life a little bit tougher for all the marines that were in your chain of command. It was both LRP and was a form of soft griefing.

Is it acceptable for you to do something if you have never been caught doing it before? Of course not. At any given time there are generally 10 or so staff members, and a player population that typically ranges from 80 to 170 people. Most of those staff members play the game while moderating. We do not follow everyone's conversations at all times and it is ridiculous to believe we do. We miss things. But when we do pick up on those things the amount of time you've been doing them doesn't factor in. "I've been doing it for months now" is not an acceptable excuse to keep doing something.

Was it correct for Sleepy to issue you a 24 hour ban? Yes. If this was your only note then no, it would not have been an appropriate ban length. But it is not your first ban. You have received multiple 3 hour bans for both LRP and for Griefing behavior. Your ban times should have escalated long before this.

Was it appropriate for Sleepy to give you a "blanket" Command ban for this? I do not believe so. We only give out these "blanket" bans in rare circumstances now a days and this one was not severe enough to earn one.
    That said I do feel that an SO, XO, CO ban would be appropriate. This instance is simply too similar for a note you had already received earlier in the year. "Banned by x|Duration: 180 minutes|Reason: Rule 1. & 19. Joined two rounds in a row as an MP who only spoke in emotes, drooling, twitching and blinking. Told to knock it off and continued. Don't join as a character like this again. by x (Moderator) on Thu, August 9th of 2018"

Resolved
    Note will stay. Ban has already expired. Pilot Officer, Tank Crewman, Corporate Liaison, Requisitions Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer jobbans will be lifted.
    Last edited by Grimcad; 01-06-2019 at 02:19 AM.