User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Add a new rule on MegaFobs roundstart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    I personally never saw such round. Maybe it happens during my working hours, however I doubt that it ever happened twice on the server (it may happened once for "lols", or something).
    To be fair, I have seen it a few times.

Aside from a handful of meme Dinkle rounds that all happened within about a week, it virtually always happens on Trijent, with one or two Ice rounds thrown in. Notably, both of these are maps where marines pushing before the Xenos have pretty much already lost is usually suicide so long as Xenos follow the "meta" for those maps - hide in the underground/excavation caves in Ice, and let the marines push halfway across the map before encircling them in Trijent. On maps where marines attacking isn't a fools errand, marines virtually always push out as soon as the map lets them (*cough* LV fog *cough*), and only withdraw to their cadelines when things start to go south.

Now, what DOES happen all the time is that Xenos gain the upper hand the initial engagement once they commit seriously (which they kinda have to because the marines have zero reason otherwise to not keep pushing all the way to their hive), then marines make a semi-orderly withdrawl all the way back to the FOB (which they kinda have to because if marines wait for things to get bad before retreating then it usually turns into a route that gets over half the retreating force wiped). From there, the fight turns into trench warfare and pushes/counterpushes around the front cadelines, because marines are too slow to organize, too slow to move and too situationally unaware to reliably maneuver as a fighting force in ways that Xenos can't effortlessly avoid or counter, and because Xenos almost never let up on FOB assaults for the 20 minutes it takes for marines to organize an assault until Xenos have lost the majority of their force or until they force an evac.

There is also the issue of late game in rounds where marines have mostly won with heavy losses, but they only have ~60 troops compared to under 10 xenos. Unfortunately, these xenos will sometimes include several t2s/t3s and the queen staying together, which by themselves require 20-30 marines to defeat reliably, so marines have to choose between spreading out and getting picked off in small groups by a xenos deathball (and yes, I have seen benos bounce back from ~4 xenos and win by doing this), or playing extremely cautiously which drags the round out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FoB warfare can be unengaging but its the unfortunate end result of the style of gameplay the Marines and Xenos are designed for.

Xenos have fantastic situational awareness and mobility. as well as a inbuilt communications system that address all xenos at all times. It's not hard at all to quickly be able to assess the battle situation as a Xeno and move as needed, as well as the fact a individual Xeno is very independent and capable than the average solo Marine.

Marines, on the other hand, have very poor situational awareness, and their mobility is also mediocre, you have to sacrifice armour for speed and even the smallest damage, or fractures, will see your movement further hampered. Communication is limited to your squad, and you simply cannot check the status of the rest of your squad, let alone the battalion, without hoping Marine Command is constantly talking to you and/or posting OOC pics of the battlefield. Marines are also constrained by the logistics side of warfare, ammo, meds and the simple reality of cover.

Marines live and die for cover. In my belief I think Marine gameplay is centered around the concept of the Marines pushing forward to secure good ground to fortify into a FoB. Trying to push an angel with no cover can become a suicide mission, but good Engineers making forward cover and barricades can turn the tide, let alone making a base just at the tip of the front to give the Marine force a good holding area, or even just a place to put the wounded.

MegaFoBs are just an extension of the current game and the map. Maps like Trijent really force this kind of gameplay, Marines have a impossible time of pinning xenos down and the xenos have a infinite amount of room to attrition the Marines down.

I don't think you can resolve this issue, or if you can call it a issue to start.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Megafobs are fine. 99% of the time the design of the FOB matters much much more than the sheer size and amount of mats used.

Engineers do not seem to use effective designs anymore, relying more on the amount of materials, which leads into req points being wasted for essentially nothing.
    Last edited by Dorkkeli; 09-29-2019 at 01:27 AM.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkkeli View Post
    Megafobs are fine. 99% of the time the design of the FOB matters much much more than the sheer size and amount of mats used.

Engineers do not seem to use effective designs anymore, relying more on the amount of materiaksi, which leads into req points being wasted for essentially nothing.
    I swear to god every time I see this monstrosity of a cade setup it feels like I'm being stabbed
    cadesetup.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Okay after seeing the fifty million MegaFobs I can say two things about them. What makes them different from a metarush? It literal the metarush for defence. It main strat is to force a quick siege by aliens or never get caps. Now why would in any RP reason the CO not try to claim the colony? It is there main mission. Two it is not a fun thing for any party. No one wants to sit a FOB for 3 hours and be forced to do nothing. Aliens don't want to attack Fort Knox for no good reason.

What can add insult to injury is FORCING marines to stay in the MegaFob even if aliens are low on numbers. That really needs to end were if marines out number the aliens at either 8 or 10 to 1 they have to push rather then aliens be forced to suicide into cades.
    Megafobs are what won our first round against Defenders and warriors when they first came out. I say keep'em

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a MegaFOB for the express purpose of that I was going to get fucked hard and without mercy by xeno players when they introduced Warriors, We were losing every game and we managed to win one and that was with the megafob.

Its only a sort of a desperate marine response to when Xenos are just absolutely been stomping for a couple of rounds.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    megafob is the best. i never lose the round on ICE map when i'm the CO

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mega FOB rounds can be really fun and I�ve seen those rounds go in favor of the Xenos more often than not.

Leave them be, sometime there aren�t enough Marines to go out scouting before an FOB is built too.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates