Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A discussion on hostile survivors

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varnock View Post
    Frankly it never made sense to me why they would be hostile. They've been trapped on this planet with all their friends and colleagues dying around them while hiding and fighting xenomorphs, but them being crazy already doesn't make much sense to me, it's been a relatively short time, or seems like it to me. Why they'd shoot their ticket out after sending a distress signal in the first place just never really clicked for me.
    Don't trust the government, world/galaxy government, etc. Ever been to like Montana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hostile survivors are fine. A lot of this just reads like marines don't know how to properly handle them. If they spent a bit more time engaging with survivors, ensuring they're clearly uniformed if they choose to stay in the AO or sending them shipside otherwise, identifying and eliminating CLF loyalists wouldn't be a problem. Even if you do get gunned down, you have an entire squad supporting you who can revive you and medevac you shortly thereafter. Just because marines are at present inflexible beyond the existing meta doesn't mean we need to start stripping down player options to satisfy them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Survivors are colonists, and should be happy that rescue has come to save them, regardless of political beliefs.

They have been trapped on a planet with Xenomorphs for however long, and should be terrified of staying around for much longer.

The way we should deal with this is create a separate role that players can roll for called like.... oh I don't know..... Opposing Force?

This would be small squad of CLF or UPP that have a chance to spawn on the planet alongside survivors.

They would satisfy the need for hostile survivors and give the marines something other than Xeno's to deal with early in the round.

This would also spice up CM's current gameplay and is the logical next step in this servers future; alongside the randomization of the maps like we have in LV.

OpFor's would also be as susceptible to Xenomorph induced death and capture as the survivors, just with (slightly) better equipment, and even then they could always surrender to the Marines when discovered.

I would even go as far to make OpFor's a major feature in CM, randomly replacing Xenos for rounds at random, much like the random Predator rounds.

They would add a new element of RP to the game and a fresh approach to 24/7 Xeno Distress Signal.

This would require a HvH rework, but we are in for that anyway you slice it, and ss13 as a game is normally HvH.

IMO, survivor should become a whitelisted role with a emphasis on robust and RP focused players, it's as simple as that.

It should be the easiest WL to get, but it still should be behind a block of understanding that it can be revoked at anytime.

I would love to GitLab some of this but would like community opinions of my ideas first.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was killed once by a hostile survivor... I was a survivor myself... I have yet to survive until the marines can save my ass. :-(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuyoi View Post
    I think survivors spawning as CLF/UPP would be a nice touch.
    Lets say like 20 people roll survivor? Then it 20 UPP/CLF in a hidden bunker in a colony with a timelock podlock that only opens when marines land.
    This way it could go from a three way battle with xenos/survivors/marines.
    Completely agree.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A survivor wants to survive the aliens just to end Buckshotted by delta at first drop? Knock yourself out

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got banned for it, don't do it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have not seen what you're alleging. We had recent issues with prisoner survivors getting thrown into perma prison which we had cracked down on OOCly.

I've never seen a marine murder an innocent/friendly survivor, and even then the most "mistreatment" I've seen is survivors being ziptied and detained.
    Prison survivors, no matter what they are wearing or what their role is, suffer from this the worst. I remember Noah Cruz and Erich bishop shooting me constantly in an attempt to try and disable me despite me not even being a prisoner. As a result, I was killed and my ahelp was ignore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varnock View Post
    Frankly it never made sense to me why they would be hostile. They've been trapped on this planet with all their friends and colleagues dying around them while hiding and fighting xenomorphs, but them being crazy already doesn't make much sense to me, it's been a relatively short time, or seems like it to me. Why they'd shoot their ticket out after sending a distress signal in the first place just never really clicked for me.

The verb to antag survivors would be the second easiest solution, right behind cutting hostile out entirely, but I still don't think they make any sense regardless. As a CL main I see survivors live to talk to me in my office just about... never, really. Why further decrease their lifespan like this?

As an aside, should the verb route be taken, I think it would be best to somehow timelock it to the first ten to fifteen minutes of the round so they can't hit antag after marines land. This should be a decision made either at the start of the round with a different preference or early enough to not impact it as a whole. This SHOULD stop people just being quiet to get onto the almayer then hitting the button and going nuts.
    As a survivor former survivor main, talking to the CL sucks and is not something worth living for

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think hostile survivors are a great RP opportunity, however the current implementation of survivor rules are too vague.

Make hostile survivors a toggle role like autotraitor in other servers that actually assign them hostile objectives or goals against the Marines that will promote RP and an actual focus.

As it stands, random baldies RP-ing "lol i'm hostile, I'm unpredictable" is fucking dumb and annoying.