User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The absolute state of (Widely seen as) boring but necessary roles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a serious issue of marines never going defense unless they have no choice,and even then some still trickle out,I know few greater pains than to make a kickass base only for it to never be used

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzurge View Post
    There’s a serious issue of marines never going defense unless they have no choice,and even then some still trickle out,I know few greater pains than to make a kickass base only for it to never be used
    The best defence is a good offence. Benos are unable to be successfully killed on your defence (unless it's nuke, where they have to rush and can't heal forever).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzurge View Post
    So annoying to make a good FoB, but then CIC orders us to send away most of our troops so that we can't defend the FoB anymore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiChii View Post
    I'm personally still learning a lot of the ship side roles, so I can speak to this as a newer player.

Tried learning research once, had someone who was ICly rude, and would not explain anything so I ended up cryoing. My next attempt a week later, I had this nice guy who allowed me to follow him around and he explained things as he did it and showed me how to get research up and going with help of both him explaining some of the unclear stuff on the wiki and pointing out some of the more vague stuff that was more of a quality of life thing? He was super helpful, kind, and patient unlike the first guy I spoke too when trying shipside. So I ended up having fun with research and playing it often.

What personally for me is the problem is how are you supposed to learn on this server? Wiki helps, yes, but it doesn't really do a great job and sometimes depending on what you're doing it's confusing and it's even worse if you have one monitor and you're tabbing back and forth between the wiki and the game, or your split screen it. There's no intern rank on this server, which every SS13 server I have played on has so you can follow people and learn in the same manner that you're talking. I think this server would greatly benefit from a "teach me" role that doesn't include the pressure of also having to do the job/be responsible for you're trying to learn.

For example I was learning MT another round, speaking with a mentor over mentor chat the entire time as I asked them questions about the wiki. Had someone yelling at me ICly the entire time about having the other MT and myself charged with gross negligence while I was trying to figure everything out. Luckily the engines are easy so it wasn't that bad, but that type of stuff is kinda daunting when you want new players to pick up support roles and you have this guy icly raging at you over the radio while you are OOCly trying to speak with a mentor.

TL;DR
    • People need to chill out.
    • This server needs an actual intern role.
    That were implemented. It's the Senior Enlisted Advisor. it's a role played by admins/mentors.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRANSPORT PILOT IS THE BEST FUCKING JOB ON THE SERVER.

Y'all just don't fucking make it fun, and every time ya gotta evac its oof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bro, it’s a game, just like real life if someone’s being rude to you tell them to fuck off and keep doing your thing, specially if your thing is learning something. Imagine getting hurt in a 2d spaceman game.

CM is a toxic community that has a gimmick for hating on new players, only those that show some balls againts rude shitheads have a place here.
    Last edited by Heckenshutze; 01-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckenshutze View Post
    Bro, it’s a game, just like real life if someone’s being rude to you tell them to fuck off and keep doing your thing, specially if your thing is learning something. Imagine getting hurt in a 2d spaceman game.

CM is a toxic community that has a gimmick for hating on new players, only those that show some balls againts rude shitheads have a place here.
    Very true. Alongside this, some people just love to be a total shitters ICly (including me being an overly cussing bitch sometimes) so new players can sometimes take that the wrong way.

Mentors weren't really a thing when I first started playing the game (I wasn't aware of the legacy mentors at all and at that time they were just freshly phased out I think), so everything I know about the game I learned from reading the guides, talking to other players and through trial-and-error and getting called retard a LOT. None of that ever bothered me in the slightest and neither it should you.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Whitelisted Captain/Retired WL Maintainer Snooper44's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother even playing MT, it is one of the most useless roles. You fix reactors and load the OB. You may as well just cryo after or deploy. The engine isn't like it was on Sulaco, you can't mess with atmospherics anyone since it was entirely removed. I love devs making new maps and mechanics for tank and combat but there needs to be some love for these other roles that may as well just be removed at this point due to how useless they are.

Commodore Greg Lauffer

Whitelist Maintainer

January 1st 2021 - June 28th 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper44 View Post
    Why bother even playing MT, it is one of the most useless roles. You fix reactors and load the OB. You may as well just cryo after or deploy. The engine isn't like it was on Sulaco, you can't mess with atmospherics anyone since it was entirely removed. I love devs making new maps and mechanics for tank and combat but there needs to be some love for these other roles that may as well just be removed at this point due to how useless they are.
    Seconded. MT just gets dull after quite awhile even moreso if the other MT's are non communicative. There isn't enough shipside crew to roleplay with as an MT to keep things fun unless you want to frequent the brig.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one good plays squad engi because its been extremely gutted yet devs still don't listen to engi mains about how shit their role is

for example, squad engi is still the only job in the entire game that does not start with its necessary materials. every job except squad engi can, currently, not go to req and still function for at least 30 minutes. req would be a convenience but not necessary

squad engi, however, NEEDS req even at the start of the round; they do not start with enough materials to even build a single line of cades

cades are also shit. spitter + sentinel can go past it, spitters can destroy them easily, they are weak to everything but young T1's and T2's. they take forever to build while standing still and require a lot of resources that you barely have any of until later into the round (when it doesn't matter because you either won or you are now stalling the inevitable defeat in your super mega FOB that doesn't have enough people to man the cades anyway)

we lost our displaced girders, we lost electric grilles, we lost easily deployable cades (holding table parts and deploying them at the front fast), sandbag management is fucking atrocious and takes too long to be reliable for its frontline purposes 80% of the time

im sure i forgot some issues but if i played squad engi even more id probably realize more. heck the only reason to go squad engi now is just to roll engi for the (now properly buffed) sentry gun or use the MG to piss the shit outta crushers with two bursts to wipe out their entire armor and make them wait 30 minutes to get it all back