Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nesting Gameplay 2020 Discussion

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjia View Post
    in that case, may, I ask how much do you play? I know i recommended watching, but some things you can't really get a feel for just watching.
    I play mostly xenos when I have time not coding.

When I play marine - I notice too many issues as marine (like chat spam, lights issues, barricades issues) - so usually I stay at fob and code something that fixes that particular thing. Things like bigger OB, chat ignores, deployable cades, endurance having an effect, CAS fixes, grenades doing stupid things, bipods being trash, scopes you can move with. But also I removed some stronger things from marines.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    ~snip~
    any inbetween fix, or slow creep towards removal of the ability to escape would cause drama every time we do it, see 3 seconds stun after unnest.

So I'd rather suffer big PR issue now, and stop there, than creep towards a solution and have suffering all along this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as for myself I'd prefer if they had x second resist timer but couldn't use nades for much longer
    nades are what turned nest resisting from trying to escape into lemme just pop a few bois woo

anyway, guarding nests was never a 'fun' thing to do for xenos
    it was more of a 'ah shit theres 5 ppl nested + not SSD and no ones watching and the queens 5 squares away, I have to stay here and try to keep them pinned or shits gonna hit the fan' it didnt matter if i was a t1/2/3 i had to at least try to keep them down

were there times i enjoyed it? maybe, sometimes its a pretty thankful job, most of the time it isnt, and no one knows you're even doing it until you or a larva die
    its far outnumbered by the times i was pushed into doing it by my compulsion to know it was good for my team as a whole, like gathering monkeys, only more dangerous and important
    Last edited by reuben owen; 01-12-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    any inbetween fix, or slow creep towards removal of the ability to escape would cause drama every time we do it, see 3 seconds stun after unnest.

So I'd rather suffer big PR issue now, and stop there, than creep towards a solution and have suffering all along this way.
    Well, feature-creep is sort of a defining trait of SS13 servers, isn't it? It's all free, nobody is paying, so it's not like it's anything bad. I've never seen big features go over completely well (the change from standard SS13-style storage was SALTY) but people get over it from what I've seen.

Like that same update, however, I see possibilities in the future for further change (I mean, otherwise this server basically dies, new content and features drive SS13 servers) that eventually evens all this out.
    Most players don't contextualize the fact that we HAVE to act as playtesters because the devs are already making the game for free. Most games are tested by people who get paid, but that can't happen here, so we have to bite the bullet and play a game that isn't quite our idea of fun so that these observations can be made and gameplay can be perpetually shifted as SS13 culture dictates.

We'll see how the meta shifts over the next months, especially now that the band-aid has been ripped off, and perhaps as things mellow out considerations of a system similar to the one I suggested here ITT can be made, especially given the code-work I imagine it would take to introduce. For now I only want to hold out hope that ebin nest escapes can one day return with more balance and more fun for both sides when escapes occur.
    Last edited by davidofmk771; 01-12-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since ive been totaly ignored, ill simply repost.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Hello! i beleive perma nesting is not the good direction for this game to go.

capturing/nesting/guarding nest is an important fun part of the game that give for BOTH SIDE marines and xenos, more depth and freedom, contributing to the immersion feeling.

As a marines, it is great to have the possibility to play this part of the game, try to escape; fail if your guarded, sucess if your unguarded, try to reach marine safety if possible or if not, decide to go kamikazee with your m15... So many fun and interesting choices! ...Of course you wouldnt be able to do much if your guarded. LEGIT. Permanest will just delete this whole possibility, this whole gameplay sequence that is part of the immersion. -player who dont like resisting while nested can allways ghost, no need to force it upon those who enjoy resisting.

As a xeno, to be able to capture and nest, watch over your capture, watch the noodle grow inside the player trying to resist is a unique and very rewarding experience. while if they get perma-nested it give the feeling of ending their gameplay expericene instead, wich feel less challenging, less rewarding and leave a bad aftertaste knowing you just made that marine force ghost; it dont feel as good.
    As for the capture guarding ''problem'', i beleive it is a foundemental job of the xeno; the same for marines need shipside job; xeno need nest side job.

SOLUTION IDEA= Xeno should IN GAME make it a meta rule to ''ALL YOUNG STAY AT HIVE TO GUARD NEST''. This way we fix 2 problem; unguarded kamikazee murheen will now be guarded, and young xeno will be at hive instead of dying like noob on the frontline.
    SOLUTION IDEA to improove guarding / resisting nest = why not make it that nested marines can learn xeno language? it would make it deeper and give us more RP possibility, maybe infested marines will make deal with the queen to spy on almayers etc. or what about noodles controling the tall? fun no?

To Resume, permanesting is not the direction to go; it only LESSER marine experience and DUMBDOWN xeno experience.
    instead, find way to make the unique feature of nesting resisting marines and guarding them MORE ENGAGING FOR PLAYERS.

I would also like to express that there as been many vote concerning the permanest matter in game and in forum, and the player base OBVIOUSLY dont want to go in perma nest direction. all votes clearly state that we prefer resisting and guarding feature over the perma nest.

Bottom line DEVS SHOULD BE WORKING ON THE LAG ISSUE instead of making permanest... so we can enjoy a bigger player base playing witout lag.
    Keep the player freedom/immersion intact by expanding on what you have instead of deleting possibility.
    Good day CM!

-Miranda 'Frost' Vayne / LZR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Neth I should add I often guarded as a young warrior and sometimes as a runner too. It just felt the right thing to do. Most xenos instead run off and die (which I've also done a fair bit!) instead of helping the hive.

I often was able, as a marine, to nade myself if caught. I will miss that now. I only ever actually escaped once though that was always because nests tended to be far from the frontlines and so I would run into aliens en route back.

Another thing this messes with is xeno structures. Clear resin is pretty pointless if you can just build nests and walls and doors and clear resin aren't needed. It was always a joy to have a good drone or hivelord build well thought out and workable secure nests. Now I see messy hives that are just walls, the odd door and endless nests. It is a bit sad to see that change. It puts me off playing drone as it feels like no intelligence is required - weed, build some nests, add some slow and done.

Perhaps nests should only be perma if they are built securely? Ie walled or doored from all four sides? That would be satisfying and mean escapes could happen if a nade or bullets blew up a wall near someone nested. What do you think about that Neth? It would bring back the hive building seen before, make sense lore wise (by trapping someone in a hive, not just a nest quickly built on weeds) and mean xenos have to plan and build carefully and keep some of their number back to unnest the dead and keep the secure nests going, which would help balance. It would then also keep resin walls relevant.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    ~snip~
    Nah, I've read it.

I don't like it. We want to remove upgrades, we don't want marines to learn even more about xenos than they can get from their meta-groups that ghost around and check.

I'd rather not have that much captures, and capture being your "death", than have an arcade based experience on how fast you can react that noone asked to participate in.

I lessened marine experience to then (I hope) improve it by having less combat captures.

In my opinion the experience of guarding is dumb for xenos, while fighting at front is fun, so in my eyes the experience has improved in general.

If I added anything that was working against marines escaping (see 3 seconds stun) it would be also voted against, as is 90% of suggestions (in my mind) written here. What we are doing lets us do more in the future and something is even done now (see reduction in combat captures)

I have enough devs to cover both lag issue, fun new content, and fixing of outdated and uninteresting mechanic

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausrine View Post
    No worries Neth I should add I often guarded as a young warrior and sometimes as a runner too. It just felt the right thing to do. Most xenos instead run off and die (which I've also done a fair bit!) instead of helping the hive.

I often was able, as a marine, to nade myself if caught. I will miss that now. I only ever actually escaped once though that was always because nests tended to be far from the frontlines and so I would run into aliens en route back.

Another thing this messes with is xeno structures. Clear resin is pretty pointless if you can just build nests and walls and doors and clear resin aren't needed. It was always a joy to have a good drone or hivelord build well thought out and workable secure nests. Now I see messy hives that are just walls, the odd door and endless nests. It is a bit sad to see that change. It puts me off playing drone as it feels like no intelligence is required - weed, build some nests, add some slow and done.

Perhaps nests should only be perma if they are built securely? Ie walled or doored from all four sides? That would be satisfying and mean escapes could happen if a nade or bullets blew up a wall near someone nested. What do you think about that Neth? It would bring back the hive building seen before, make sense lore wise (by trapping someone in a hive, not just a nest quickly built on weeds) and mean xenos have to plan and build carefully and keep some of their number back to unnest the dead and keep the secure nests going, which would help balance. It would then also keep resin walls relevant.
    If I get more time and be even more annyoed I legit gonna code AI xeno that will just stay over the marine keeping you nested, and if someone kills it, you can unnest self. But that's not soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOLUTION IDEA= Xeno should IN GAME make it a meta rule to ''ALL YOUNG STAY AT HIVE TO GUARD NEST''. This way we fix 2 problem; unguarded kamikazee murheen will now be guarded, and young xeno will be at hive instead of dying like noob on the frontline.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    we do not want upgrade levels for xeno. Wait gameplay is terrible