• None of the others

4 3.33%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nesting Gameplay 2020 Discussion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I like how it is where you have to build the nests near queen, when ovi. At least for some maps.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    I think this would be a good way to change up the nesting gameplay for marines and xenos without absolutely neutering any marine who gets caught and removing the need for xenos to plan how they build/guard their nests. Marines can still coordinate 'great escapes' (the only kind that actually ever work) and wont have to sit around alone if the hive gets pushed and nobody came close enough to the nest to hear sound emotes.
    I think it's important to understand that now nests can be built only near queen, which limits the cases of escaping. You cannot nest humans somewhere far away from the hive and hide. Marines will try to kick them off the hive grounds sooner or later, and if queen moving from location to location is an issue - you can be certain that queen feature will be the thing we change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been nested a lot since the update but I do have to say that guarding nests or trying to break out had its moments but it was generally unfun and even conflicting, breaking out as a marine to kill a few benos then getting nested again and burst on your larva roll to a hive you crippled OR getting babysat by a warrior, burst and play frustrated because you didn't even have a chance to escape OR painstakingly capturing marines just to see them ALL DIE from a nade of someone that broke free.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saytkl77 View Post
    IMO anyone saying we should keep nest guards, should be required to spend 20 hours guarding marines in the hive, and the timer resets if one gets up and kills itself because they were tabbed out afk and not actually guarding.
    IMO anyone saying we should keep FOB guards, should be required to spend 20 hours guarding FoB from benos, and the timer resets if one beno comes up and melts cades because they were tabbed out afk and not actually guarding.

Marine inconvinience? Good design.
    Beno inconvinience? Bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    I think it's important to understand that now nests can be built only near queen, which limits the cases of escaping. You cannot nest humans somewhere far away from the hive and hide. Marines will try to kick them off the hive grounds sooner or later, and if queen moving from location to location is an issue - you can be certain that queen feature will be the thing we change.
    This even makes sense lore-wise. Have you ever seen eggs and nests put by xenomorphs not in Queen's chamber?

Even as a nerf to captures (revert one hit neuro from infected rines) I still don't quite like it currently. Maybe it is Nostalgia sooooo strong it breaks my marinemainism.

My skeptical and anti-benomains nature forces me to doubt that this will stay in place and not be reverted(buffed into mutators-level bullshit) under the beno tears pressure.

I'm happy with 12 January update, so I want my "vote" changed from "No Delay (Original)" to "None of the others".
    Last edited by CABAL; 01-12-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    IMO anyone saying we should keep FOB guards, should be required to spend 20 hours guarding FoB from benos, and the timer resets if one beno comes up and melts cades because they were tabbed out afk and not actually guarding.

Marine inconvinience? Good design.
    Beno inconvinience? Bad design.
    This is hypocritical. Team is doing same for both sides, trying to get rid of big FoBs that defend the LZ, but people are cherrypicking what they don't like.

We buff xenos, marine mains boo
    We nerf marines, marine mains boo
    We make xeno life easier, marine mains boo

We add new feature to marines like APC, CAS, no combat hugging, no nesting far from hive, marine mains silent

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This even makes sense lore-wise. Have you ever seen eggs and nests put by xenomorphs not in Queen's chamber?
    Yes

Even as a nerf to captures (revert one hit neuro from infected rines) I still don't like it. Maybe it is Nostalgia sooooo strong it breaks my marinemainism.
    One hit neuro is what we had before, then we had 3 hits, then we went back to 1 hit

My skeptical and anti-benomains nature forces me to doubt that this will stay in place and not be reverted under the beno tears pressure.
    beno tears, marine tears, only truth is that it is a pressure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    Like the nests crumbling or becoming escapable if the queen is routed to another area? That would fix the problem of being left nested in a remote cave (a situation I've been in plenty of times, many of which I successfully returned to marine lines for surgery) which is what mainly bothers me about the idea of being at the mercy of your fellow marines and the proximity required to hear *scream emotes.

However, I still think this 'gall meter' idea has some merit, even in the context of queen-centered nest gameplay. Some basic sort of system that checks nested humans for health and rank, checks the amount of nested marines, and checks the amount/caste/age of xenos in the vicinity to determine whether the marines are capable of resisting the nest, and if so, all ghosted marines are pulled back into their bodies in the same manner as when they are pulled from the nest so that they may begin to escape. Xenos could even be alerted when a successful 'gall-check' allows the marines to begin resisting, to allow them a chance to put it down in a sort of concentrated 'prison escape' gameplay scenario, as opposed to the previous system of random honeycomb nests all over the place with a few marines scattered throughout.

If the idea of this is to reduce the need for xenos to guard nests, this suggestion will probably clash, but if the idea is more about just changing up how nested gameplay works, I think it has some sort of merit as a new system of nest-escape gameplay (even though a few kinks like suicide nading would have to be worked out).

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    ~snip~
    Issue I have is how this compares to from having someone (AI controlled sentinel) on the same tile as you and neuroing you instantly, then rebuckling you. This is what happens if you are elite pro 124 hours sentinel "I LOVE THIS SHIT CALLED GUARDING NESTS" gamer. This is not fun for marine. "AH FUCK, REALLY? I GOT THIS SENTINEL TO GUARD ME? FUCK ME" and ghost.

Second issue is that now nesting takes fraking 7 seconds. We gotta revert that but I feel like some will say I'm buffing xenos too much

Although now I think we can let marines escape if there is no queen nearby - that's a good one

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    generally, in future (next DtM), queen will not want to change locations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my point though, I we're all tired of the neverending resist-neuro-nest-resist cycle that comes with a competent hive, and it definitely should change, but at the moment it basically does feel hopeless to be nested (perhaps it should?).

My idea is that if escape is possible under a condition where the xenos have 'fucked up' so to speak and cannot simple prevent 'gall-meter' escape with their presence that even the queen's presence could be overpowered if she bites off too many marines to chew. Effectively it would force a queen to choose how many marines she wants to capture at one time and how many xenos she wants to dedicate to reducing their 'gall-meter' and preventing the possibility of escape.

Now, with how suicide nading works, this concentration of nests along with the possibility of escape is untenable and would just make xeno guard gameplay a living nightmare, so I think what could be placed in effect if escape near the queen is ever made possible again is a sort of 'gunk' that disables anything other than melee weapons for a while after escape.
    No more burst-blasting a sentinel when they open the door, no more mass-killing other captures with fire and explosions, but rather altering the course of nest-gameplay to bring the nested closer together, force the hive to balance out their presence in the nests, and allow marines a fighting chance without allowing them to simply deprive the hive of one of their central gameplay mechanics via mass suicide.

All this, of course, is riding on my belief that there really are xeno players who enjoy nest-guard gameplay, and I think even they would like a change from 'scattered nests, suicide attempts, and insta-stunning' to 'grand-scale escape attempts in a centralized area', pitting all captured & capable marines (up to dozens!) in melee combat against those 31337 G4M3R S3N71N3LZ who i'm sure are just as tired as marines of the now-previous meta.

However, beyond all of that, I think the update is absolutely fine as long as marines are able to escape abandoned nests once the queen is out of a certain range. The now-previous meta does not need to exist in my opinion, as it was in some ways very depressing with all the remote nests and spit-spam and endless membrane doors. At least now we can go into a trance and astral project around the map to see how the fight's going without being locked out of our bodies.