User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CORSAT Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sincerely happy that Corsat appears to be overall positively received!

Quote Originally Posted by Grentex View Post
    teleporters (that i'm still not sure how it works), and a monorail that queen can use to create a risky north flank for LZs.
    I find it funny how you don't even mention that marines can also use the monorail.
    The teleporter needs power, and can only be operated by synths, colony scientists, researchers, the CMO and the queen. It can send anything on the platform (including the tank) from one to the other, and can be activated from either side.

Station looks very nice with the white flooring and walls as opposed to the regular gray/dark grey were used too.
    You can thank Triiodine for that, he's a hero. I simply did floors and the reinforced stuff, but even that was by working with the sprites he'd already made.

Gameplay wise, it seems very intresting but I see an issue again where Hive is only in one location. Again (Biodome Omega) or at least around that vicinity.
    I actually want both Omega, Gamma biodome and Theta to be viable hive locations. Noone is doing this though because they're either too lazy to move from Omega or that it isn't viable enough. So I'll probably change it.

Lastly it's a bit... big I guess. Most of the station I feel won't be used.
    In regards to size, some people tell me that it feels much smaller than what it really is. Which is probably because of how easy it is to get around.
    My hope is that there isn't actually that much deadspace, as nightmare actually changes where the primary lane is each round (the lockdown door that starts open). With the addition of searching for the lockdown cards and the speed you can travel around.

Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    There's no established meta yet and it seems like there are tons of flank routes, so I think it will be fun to see different types of gameplay emerge. Maybe setting up a FOB on the teleporters instead of right on the LZ, or holding the airlocks of the domes to prevent xenos/marines from getting through them.
    I also can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
    I think the map has a lot of potential for different setups but at the end of the day will be rarely fully utilized by the Marines due to the lack of XO/CO's that actually take the time to make a plan. This map is actually great for tactical officers and those that like to lay out a plan ahead of time, even if it's just some quickly made paint with a few color'd lines and specific orders.
    Maybe that will just encourage more strategy now? We can hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
    Also the TC seem to be screwed over, really doesn't make a lot of sense why TC is even on CORSAT imo.. too many unbreakable walls for the marines to push the tank through, might as well just park it near an entrance/exit and turn it into a big gate. Maybe a few map edits will fix this in the future or maybe Marines will need to highly focus on lifting certain lock downs simply so the tank can get around.
    The corridors are wide, so the tank can get around easily. The only restriction on the tank is Omega, really, because that's the same policy as we have on caves: tank shouldn't be in caves.

One thing that really needs to be done is to remove all the shitty reinforced metal roofing on the half of the map that xenos are actually in.
    The reinforced metal roofing was made because in our pre-release tests, it was way too hard to stop the marines from steamrolling through everything. So this was done to make it easier for xenos to build defences for that. I have heard your voices however and have a plan to change this which will solve the intention behind the roofing while not restricting CAS. This won't happen immediately however, because I need XSS for that, which has yet to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by bobatnight View Post
    Definitely enjoying the new map and all the little items for marines to find, hopefully this becomes a common theme.
    I love looting games so of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Akabinxstar View Post
    atleast there isnt a fucking snow storm
    The idea of adding snow weather to the Ice dome did cross my mind. But that dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    one thing I can say for sure is that this is a map where you really can't do a dual deployment or split the marines up too much.
    Currently a lot of rounds are happening at a lower pop than what is intended on Corsat, because our poplock is broken. From what I can tell by looking at overwatch maps, marines do spread out a fair bit when they have the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    Fun, interesting map. Its design lends itself to actually workable battles that aren't just super tight chokes with 80 people and only 2 can fire at a time without massive FF.
    Viva la wide hallways!

Quote Originally Posted by nekcy View Post
    I love it, the themes of each domes, the visuals specially, new sprites looks neat and has this corporate-laboratory-research lab feel, a clean looking station in contrast to black weeded filled with miasma beno territory.
    Thank you! I am happy so many like Corsat's aesthetic. It is something that I initially was worried about because of how it is different.

Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    In many ways I consider it like an early 'The Simpsons' clip show. You'd think it was just all the stuff you've already seen shoved into one episode but instead they show a bunch of new content and change the old stuff up to make it interesting, as if it isn't half recycled assets at all.

8/10 map due to my ~personal feelings~ about map sizing & no huge industrial-colony map yet, cmooon that was the coolest part of alienĀ³

edit: rating bumped to 9/10 because the monorail actually effin works!!!
    Whohoo! Let's hope I can get that up to a 10/10 one day.
    You can thank Fourkhan that the monorail works, he did a great job on it. Maybe one day I'll have new sprites for the train too...

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say all you want, but that stuff lying around is fucking dope. Only recently I was able to infect myself with advanced blood disease and use "resin glue" to actually reinforce my helmet. More of such stuff please, it shows the SS13 potential there. In those small details and a lot of stuff you have to get creative to use. Just wholesome.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen anyone even attempt to leave Omega dome as xenos, as it is too easy to defend due to the metal ceilings and tight chokes. The other domes are open enough to where marines are usually able to see xenos, besides portions of the Ice dome from what I have seen, and it seems to be more important to hold the airlock checkpoints rather than the dome itself.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen anyone even attempt to leave Omega dome as xenos, as it is too easy to defend due to the metal ceilings and tight chokes. The other domes are open enough to where marines are usually able to see xenos, besides portions of the Ice dome from what I have seen, and it seems to be more important to hold the airlock checkpoints rather than the dome itself.
    These are good points as to why it's used, but the simple fact it is the furthest point from both LZs.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    These are good points as to why it's used, but the simple fact it is the furthest point from both LZs.
    Yeah pretty much. I'd prefer maps where it isn't like 'Here is the marine half of the map and here is the xeno half' since it tends to make things a little too blatant with how the game is supposed to go, ie marines are supposed to push omega dome, xenos want to stop them from getting inside the dome itself. That's why I feel like allowing CAS on more parts of the map would be a good start to changing it up, as well as getting xenos that are willing to try new things out too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't got to play it, but I will say just from looking at the map it definitely is the most visually appealing map. I especially think newcomers will be attracted to the idea of fighting xenos inside of mixed climate biodomes as it's just absolute peak sci-fi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PogoMarimo View Post
    I still haven't got to play it, but I will say just from looking at the map it definitely is the most visually appealing map. I especially think newcomers will be attracted to the idea of fighting xenos inside of mixed climate biodomes as it's just absolute peak sci-fi.

Yeah Corsat nails the sci-fi feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initial impression is that corsat could become one of the best maps in the rotation. Biggest thing I've liked about it is the lane-like approach to things. The more restrictive pathing and natural chokepoints creates a better feeling of progression and back-and-forth fighting across the map and helps the new players actually stick with the bulk of the marine forces instead of wandering cluelessly. More maps need to be designed this way; less open, more restrictive pathing but with multiple alternative lanes that can be used.

My only major gripe is how limited the maps are with artillery. I'd estimate 50-70% of the map can't be hit with mortar/cas/ob and these are essential marine weapons for pushing chokepoints and generally fighting on an equal footing with xenos. Once marines lose the artillery they start getting taken apart, especially in tight corridors and cave-like areas.

I think anywhere that the artillery isn't meant to work, should be designed with vehicles in mind as the alternative. Despite caves 'not being where the tank should go' the maps where the tank can in fact get into the caves don't have serious issues. LV and ice colony for example - yes, the tank can get into the caves/underground, but it's stupid easy to get flanked or even blocked off because there's one or two routes the tank will fit and a half dozen it won't, which xenos can still use.

So that's generally the change I'd make to the map: Increase the area that marines can use artillery, let the tank push into xeno nesting areas, but restrict the tanks' paths and allow it to get blocked off and trapped or flanked like in the LV caves.

Artillery I want to make a note, is actually more effective when there's buildings and cover around. Flat and open terrain is awful for artillery; it doesn't restrict LOS to the lazing dots, and doesn't restrict escape routes to get away from explosions. I think if you tracked artillery deaths on a heatmap for LV as an example, most xenos die in the buildings around LZ1 and LZ2, rather than out in the open at the river or hydro. On Corsat, the LV dome up until the research building for example has wide open pathways and is easily pushed already by marines + tank, if that were no longer artillery proof I don't think much of anything would change there.
    Last edited by Boersgard; 01-14-2020 at 03:53 PM.