User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Player Tokens

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rewarding good behavior in a game like this will never work because what's good is subjective unlike written rules, which are much easier to enforce if a player does bad

if you're a good player then you're rewarded by being able to play the game at all
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    snip
    RP leaves logs, didn't it? You can't give it out of the thin air.

I know such thing happen, but they happen besides if this system works, or not. If Staff doesn't get some special Event role, then who gets it? Guess, I can give you a sec... Furscord Favoured Friends. Nobody else. Partialy due to staff not knowing that this player can handle RP at all, if he knows how little there is Lore written in wiki, or maybe he will just search for the first opportunity to start shooting.

Positive RP Notes would only formalise what already happens.
    This is why I'm against those notes giving anything, but a higher chance to be choosen to already super fucking rare RP events. This is why those notes have to mean nearly nothing. Guy having 1000000 positive notes praising him for being RP god would have no more power over a simple shmuck who has 1 note saying: He RP good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said we only do positive notes if they do something REALLY GOOD to help staff/devs out.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    RP leaves logs, didn't it? You can't give it out of the thin air.

I know such thing happen, but they happen besides if this system works, or not. If Staff doesn't get some special Event role, then who gets it? Guess, I can give you a sec... Furscord Favoured Friends. Nobody else. Partialy due to staff not knowing that this player can handle RP at all, if he knows how little there is Lore written in wiki, or maybe he will just search for the first opportunity to start shooting.

Positive RP Notes would only formalise what already happens.
    This is why I'm against those notes giving anything, but a higher chance to be choosen to already super fucking rare RP events. This is why those notes have to mean nearly nothing. Guy having 1000000 positive notes praising him for being RP god would have no more power over a simple shmuck who has 1 note saying: He RP good.
    You can't simply post RP logs of someone in notes.
    I'm just going to take a guess and say you don't know what notes look like, but theres no possible way you can write "This guy is a good RPer" based on a few sentences someone writes.

Event roles will ALWAYS be given to competent players the admin can trust. I consistently used favortism for player I chose for important roles simply because I knew id be able to count on them to not fuck everything up.

This isn't directed at you Cabal but,
    The playerbase has this weird mentality that the staff on SS13 owe them things. The truth as AcuteCircle said is that your reward is that you get to play the game, everything else is a bonus.
    You get chosen as an event player? Congrats thats a minor reward because you're not a shit player.

This has been a long-term issue with the playerbase where the players feel entitled to everything the game has offered.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a long-term issue with the playerbase where the players feel entitled to everything the game has offered.
    HeLlO I PlAyED cM FoR ThReE YeArS GiEv Me WhItElIsTs aNd EbEnT RoLeS NoW!
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip
    Even if so, as I said, it would only formalise what admemes already do. A "Banana Sticker" for a player from event admeme, so that other event admemes might see that he can "RP good".

I don't see anything about being entitled, or staff "owing" anyone about this. I'm not demanding you give me this event role, I'm saying that player choosed for RP event role should be somehow checked he can handle (trough Banana Sticker) and it should be as little favouritism as possible.

How fast you can go from "Favortism and friendships are too strongly connected between staff and the playerbase so you cannot put rewarding behavior notes or items in." to " I consistently used favortism for player I chose for important roles simply because I knew id be able to count on them to not fuck everything up."?
    How could argument against positive notes be that "Favouritism is bad" while argument against Banana Stickers is that "Favouritism happens and will happen"?

How someone who agrees to Favouritism as "necessary evil" can be also against formalised Favouritism?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    How someone who agrees to Favouritism as "necessary evil" can be also against formalised Favouritism?
    Thats a good question and I'll explain.

By putting a system in-place as you're suggesting you're encouraging the method of positive notes, badges, stickers or whatever you want to call it.
    You're creating an entire system of then requiring staff members to choose players for "Whitelist", "Events", "Roles" or whatever other bonus based upon these positive notes/stickers.

So now people REALLY want these good notes/stickers which is great because everyone should be good players now right?
    Wrong. You're leading back to the initial issue of staff favoritism, friendships and sucking up to get to these notes/stickers.

In small unofficial doses there will ALWAYS be favoritism from staff to some degree.
    The issue that comes of this is when you publicize the promotion of favoritism in the form of "Good notes" and "Stickers".

eg;
    My favoritism for events was based upon me over-watching good players over years of my time as staff.
    Good notes + stickers is favoritism based upon a player sucking off his friends in staff for notes and badges.
    Or "This player wants to be a role in an event, he has 5 good notes from staff that haven't been staff in a year and I can't verify them at all".

What I'm trying to say is, your system or idea would publicize favortism to the point of the staff team essentially being corrupt by influences of the playerbase. They'd feel like they'd have to give good notes out/stickers and the playerbase themselves would feel entitled to receiving goodnotes/stickers. This doesn't even go into the other issue you suggested where you'd also have players essentially demanding positions because "I have 10 good notes and this other guy had 2 good notes and he got Predator whitelist wtf!!!".

What I'm trying to say is, there will always be favoritism to a degree, but weaponizing favoritism to correlate with a reward system is a BAD IDEA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one problem with giving positive notes to people is the potential snowball effect, with notes being handed out to more famous people within the community. Players with those notes would be more likely to be slected for RP-Heavy events, leading to them getting more. To be honest, I think name recognition good enough for now.
    Rain 'Hail' Atkinson (Human Roles): Slayer of Xenos and babysitter of PFCs
    Medals
    Spoiler Spoiler:

NV-XXX-C6 (Xeno Roles): CRUSHER GANG CRUSHER GANG
    Whitelisted Monkey Damn You Boomermin, the Monkeys will rise again
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentor - 6/5/2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    players can give points 2 each other, you know like the karma system on whats its name server i forget

why players instead of staff 'goodboy'? cause game is about fun/enjoymen, not being 'good'

you can only karma 1 person every 72 hours, and can only karma the same person once every 720 hours (30 days)

points can buy:
    auto attachments on start (they spawn in your backpack, even req only attainable ones) for 1 round
    can play as a monkey/jones for 1 round
    fancy survivor outfit/better weapon for 1 round
    random alternate colored xeno for 1 round
    designated xeno number for 1 round
    i dunno

yeah yeah metabuddies and so on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben owen View Post
    players can give points 2 each other, you know like the karma system on whats its name server i forget

why players instead of staff 'goodboy'? cause game is about fun/enjoymen, not being 'good'

you can only karma 1 person every 72 hours, and can only karma the same person once every 720 hours (30 days)

points can buy:
    auto attachments on start (they spawn in your backpack, even req only attainable ones) for 1 round
    can play as a monkey/jones for 1 round
    fancy survivor outfit/better weapon for 1 round
    random alternate colored xeno for 1 round
    designated xeno number for 1 round
    i dunno

yeah yeah metabuddies and so on
    yeah yeah you log in as a new player and you see that some people have points and even if you try very hard to impress people the points still mostly go to those that are either more active, more old or more recognisable, which aren't measures for why you should deserve anything offering any kind of tangible advantage. The fact that being more recognisable is a factor here actually would also make unique outfits and other such cosmetics a tangible advantage...

As I said before, it will just breed resentment from new players who feel like there is an old guard that just pat eachother on the back, even if nobody hands it out for being metabuddies.