User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DEFCON, objectives and so on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think powergaming is to be assumed.
    Is it possible to randomize and hide the objective so that xenos can't know what they are?

Maybe so that xenos either cannot see disks or that they cannot distinguish between relevant and irrelevant ones.

I like the idea of objectives, but having xenos camping said objectives makes no IC sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggestion for later I think, but mabye give the CL a way to utilize intel if he decodes via his own computers...

but before we get to that point...
    I think we need to establish WHICH ROLE is doing intel.

Researchers are good for this, but some don't seem to get that it could be a major part of their job if they try.
    On that note, either add Intel decoding work to researchers small list of jobs � or create a dedicated role that goes around gathering intel and decoding it.

Perhaps a Ensign rank level Intelligence Officer that can be viewed as a liason from a intelligence department (for sake of conversation, call it the Bureau of Internal Affairs/Dept. of Internal Affairs

It wouldn't be a truly needed and necessary role if implemented and would be non-vital as is in the current Defcon state, but I could see it rising in importance.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 01-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can post my source code for objectives if it will help people understand it better.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was CO in a round where I saw Audi get every data disc decoded to man, we restored comms, and power.
    The most we got was 14%

Basically the CO meta now is just get power and comms setup to have the Cyro ERT on stand by, and get enough extra points to hand out some HPRs, and don't bother with objectives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Sounds like job for Intelligence Officer.
    If who decoded disk would matter, then IO and CL could fight each other for them. Not in Greytide manner, but in high RP one! Reports, acts and pens right in the eye!

DEFCON could be split on "USCM" and "W-Y" points, each giving different "prizes".

They would even have IC reason to fight for them. CL want to keep WY secrets and get promotion, while IO want to discover WY secrets and als oget promotion.
    Sending MP's after one another, giving few bucks to a random PFC to harass CL a bit, etc.
    Who would win?

The commissioned officer part of the USCM in charge of Intelligence who has the entire MP force and command behind him?

Or a lone WY boy with some monopoly money?

CLs would just get arrested for disorderly conduct or theft every round if that battle was the case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I was CO in a round where I saw Audi get every data disc decoded to man, we restored comms, and power.
    The most we got was 14%

Basically the CO meta now is just get power and comms setup to have the Cyro ERT on stand by, and get enough extra points to hand out some HPRs, and don't bother with objectives.
    Exactly.

Get DEFCON 4 for the extra reinforcements and be done with it.

Past that its just not worth it.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I have been part of defcon rounds as a regular singular pfc, I have ignored the objectives. I dont care if we get extra reinforcements or a tank or whatever because I dont get anything cool. Even if they send down HPRs they are gonna meta game who gets them. So I really dont give a shit about helping with objectives.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it an extremely fun change, however I do feel like that the whole reduction of points is an extremely poor idea (eg, marines dying = reduction of points)

It is both demoralising when you're progress is being destroyed by factors outside your control, so much so that most people simply don't bother with objectives anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think researchers should play a role at gathering defcon points, not only by getting disks but by studying xeno corpses. Plus, they could use the data they get from this research to develop new items for the marines. I opened a suggestion for this if you want to check it out https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/5547

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I think powergaming is to be assumed.
    Is it possible to randomize and hide the objective so that xenos can't know what they are?

Maybe so that xenos either cannot see disks or that they cannot distinguish between relevant and irrelevant ones.

I like the idea of objectives, but having xenos camping said objectives makes no IC sense.
    They can be hidden by being placed inside things like filing cabinets, book cases, other stuff like that.

I think a lot of marines don't even know they spawn inside those, either. It's not ideal though, covering the maps with file cabinets and such isn't great. The current system with a mix of scraps on the floor and in containers works well enough IMO, and I really don't think xenos could cap enough data scraps to make an significant impact.

Quote Originally Posted by spookydonut View Post
    I can post my source code for objectives if it will help people understand it better.
    That would be interesting actually, it would be nice to get some rough context.