User Tag List

Thread: Request for reviewal of ruling regarding usage of third party software for clicking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Request for reviewal of ruling regarding usage of third party software for clicking.

CKEY: Stolz_4

Introduction

I'm robert and I've been rolling all over CM for over 4 years, I consider this to be the best thing that happened to ss13 in general and It's great to be here.

Request for reviewal of SeniorAdmin Novacti ruling on third party software usage
    Time of ruling: 4/29/20 - 12:20 GMT-3 (aprox)

Today I asked if it was ok for me to use a third party software that would allow me to just hold left click instead of clicking over 500 times per round, SeniorAdmin Novacti ruled the following:

"SeniorModerator PM from Novacti: Sorry, but it's been ruled that using outside programs that help your gameplay falls under a breach of rule 3"

Since I couldn't recall a rule about this being a thing I reviewed the rules and I found that rule 3 actually reads:

"Rule 3. Don't be a dick - Harassment, racism, bigotry, homophobia, exploiting bugs, cheating, hacking, and just plain being an asshole. Giving out plot spoilers to any media with malicious intent is not allowed, but the general discussion of plot that contains spoilers about media released 1 year ago or longer is fine.
    Acting in a hostile tone using profanity and minor racism within roleplay is permitted. However, staff reserves the right to make calls on situations if a player has crossed the line. If a staff member tells you to stop, you stop.
    "

Furthermore, I haven't been able to find any rules regarding third party software on this matter.

Why I think I need this:

It's getting really tiresome to click and click and click constantly, It's getting ridiculous, I end up clicking over 500 times per round or probably way more than that, it greatly reduces the lifetime of any mouse and could probably cause tendonitis, besides I feel stupid doing each click manually, specially when BYOND misses 1 out of 3 clicks I make because of the tick rate being too high. I would really love, and I'm sure everyone in here would too, to just hold the left click and keep on shooting.

Why I think using a third party software for clicking does not, in fact, give me an unfair adventage:

1)This isn't some kind of turbo clicker that would allow me to click 1000 times per second or even faster than a regular player.

2)I'm not aware of any ways this could be abused in order to gain an unfair adventage over other players. Even if I set it to click 10000 times per milisecond, byond would not be able to handle that and would process clicks at basicly the same rate as it does when clicking manually, because of the server's tick rate.

3) There's macros built in BYOND and devs haven't removed them from the codebase, this is somewhat the same thing but running outside the game.

Conclusion:

Even though I will obviously respect your ruling I would really like to getting reviewed by a higherup, I do not thing this thing would give me any unfair adventages over other players and I haven't found a rule about this. Even if the ruling comes back negative again I sincerly hope some feature like this gets added server-side.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macros are part of Byond so those are fine but the use of 3rd party software in CM has never been allowed as it can give ya a unfair advantage against other players

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not like it will really help you with all of those click delays.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your choice at the end of the day

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I see the reliance on macros and third party software as dev issues which should be fixed with dev fixes.

For example, most people use a macro to pump a shotgun, new people struggle to work out how to pump them. Instead it should autopump after a set time.

Shrapnel is another issue for new players, many new players used to perish to shrapnel as it wasn't clear how to remove it. (I believe devs have made some steps to fix this)

It's quite honestly dated mechanics from a bygone era. We should have a game which is easily accessible (but hard to master).

Both macros and third party software should be disallowed.

On the specific application of clicker, honestly I don't think it's a huge issue and I personally would see it more of a crutch. But as I said again, we got a great dev team who can addess this type of stuff with in game solutions, I'm sure they can take on a challenge like this.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda miss the good old '.click Queen' macro.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No

-management
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids