User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flame launcher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Correct if you direct hit them. Also fun fact, flare guns come with 2x scope and IFF so you can snipe xenos.

As for the OT sh*t, yes. OTs can do pretty much what ever you want, it's just boring. Every round maxcap nades who cares. I rather make something fancy like max intensity flame that even last almost 1 minute to block off patchs.

As for potassium...WE DON'T HAVE POTASSIUM. Damn. We have potassium-chlorid. Wiki says potassium+water goes boom. Well OT room has only potassium-chlorid and last time I tried that does NOT go boom with water. I will assume it's an overshight and someone place the wrong mat there. yes I can get potassium from chem, but for what. I can make Level 3 ANFOS any time.

Sadly so many of the things in OT room has simply no use. The only time I use them when a round is 2+ hour long and we literally run out of every nade material so I'm forced to make something out of the remaining phosphor, copper, salt and welder fuel stolen from engi room.
    After playing OT, I have 2 problems from a game enjoyment sense.

1) A large amount of the time I make something only for to never be used. I make some rockets but the RPG spec dies, or I give them to RO to ship down, but they never reach the spec because the RO is dumb, the Spec is dumb, the round ends before the spec goes back to restock, or my favorite the spec "saves" them and then dies before ever using them. It feels like the logistics aspect makes it so there are multiple layers at which your stuff ends up not even being used that makes it feel not that impactful.

2) You have no idea if your stuff is even used or even does anything. You make 10 powerful OT nades, do they sit in the RO office the rest of the round? Do they sit in a backpack in the dropship the rest of the round with nooone opening them? Does a random bald PFC pick them all up in his backpack and then die to a runner walking to the battlefront? Even when the best outcome happens and they throw your cool nade and get some clutch kills you have no idea, because you just sit afk on the ship. Basically your only option to see what your stuff actually does is to ghost after delivering the OT explosives and then you can watch. Personally I think they should add a "field research camera" that lets OTs watch whenever someone uses one of their explosives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saytkl77 View Post
    After playing OT, I have 2 problems from a game enjoyment sense.

1) A large amount of the time I make something only for to never be used. I make some rockets but the RPG spec dies, or I give them to RO to ship down, but they never reach the spec because the RO is dumb, the Spec is dumb, the round ends before the spec goes back to restock, or my favorite the spec "saves" them and then dies before ever using them. It feels like the logistics aspect makes it so there are multiple layers at which your stuff ends up not even being used that makes it feel not that impactful.

2) You have no idea if your stuff is even used or even does anything. You make 10 powerful OT nades, do they sit in the RO office the rest of the round? Do they sit in a backpack in the dropship the rest of the round with nooone opening them? Does a random bald PFC pick them all up in his backpack and then die to a runner walking to the battlefront? Even when the best outcome happens and they throw your cool nade and get some clutch kills you have no idea, because you just sit afk on the ship. Basically your only option to see what your stuff actually does is to ghost after delivering the OT explosives and then you can watch. Personally I think they should add a "field research camera" that lets OTs watch whenever someone uses one of their explosives.
    Right I can answer this as I play kind of an autist way. Yes, if you make something there is a chance that the marine will get neurospammed and hugged with the nades in his backpack. Now you have 2 OT nades at hive never to be used. Same with SADAR or mortar. You make all those fancy nades only to be thrown on the neck of a marine and FF 10 guys or engis RPGs simply never use them for various reasons.

Also you are saying you have no feedback if your nade ever killed any xeno or they went as waste.

And exactly this is why I play OT differently:

At round start you have exactly 20 minutes to prepare 5-10 nades or mines. You have to get good at this, but eventually you will be really fast. I can pump out 4 foam nades, 4-6 maxcaps and 2-4 custom mines at that time. Grab all that or throw it in the box and take it to DS. If you have a hangar briefing, throw them out between CO and marines for them to pick up. If regular, throw all of them on DS. Don't forget to label if it's a foam nade. The regular ones I can't be bothered to label. It's an OT. Throw hard and far.

You will see that most of the time people who really want to throw them - the bald ones - always take them. The problem with giving it to REQ is, it will land at LZ. Only bravo is there. The deltard killers and the alpha, charlie veterans are all gone. They are the ones need it (except mortar). So there will be a good chance that they will be never used. Only by a bravo which means using a maxcap or 15 tile range flame nade from behind a cade while defending LZ which only leads to disaster. So no, bravos don't need it.

The next thing I do (except when experimenting with new sh*t) is go to engi upper, grab a webbing and high vis west, ask REQ for 2x explosive pouch, grab a hard hat for lights and eat. Make as much nades, C4s and all I can think of until I'm literally a walking bomb with 0 space left. Than I deploy. Makes sure OB loaded though as you suppose to have permission to deploy. But if there are enough MTs, sometimes I don't ask just go anyway (careful with that this can get you arrested but never happened with me, just come back if they ask you).

Than I walk all the way up to the front and hand out grenades to SLs, people I know who plays good or anybody who wants one. You see a baldie with 3 shotties? Give him a nade. Engi who looks robust? C4 or claymore. I hand it out myself. Anybody without armor or helmet? OT nade it is. I much rather give it to some metagaming robusto than an inexperienced marine.

If you want to see the fireworks, you can also bring some binos to watch it from safe distance. Since I'm not wearing armor I can practically outrun a runner. With that said 1 hit and you die, so stay FAR away from xenos. Also I never bring a gun, no point really, I'm just there for the explosives. Sometimes I plant some remote detonated C4s just to mess with xenos, they have brutal capacity and can easily gib a T1. Use binos to blow it up when they go too close and they think it's bugged and does not blow up.

Also I regularly go and throw the foam nades myself to save LZ. I saved it so many times. Just block it off and help engis repair the cades. Works like a charm.

I would never put all my nades in a backpack and throw it, that sounds really bad. Best case a good marine will pick up and use 1-2. Worst case it will be get forgotten, melted by xenos, an egoist marine will keep for himself not handing them out and die with all off them. You are better off delivering or leaving them on DS and throwing them on the floor.

One round I mass-produced like 80 claymores. I just left them on the DS every time it came back, injured and late join marines kept planting them. I took the last batch to hydro myself to plant. Xenos simply could not move, even with lurkers and runner blowing them up, it was just too much.

Also here comes your experience in play: I made some runner traps with brutal area fire damage and didn't hide them, just placed far from marines. When they came to trigger it and run away they received a maxcap with flames and either died or barely survived. After that they didn't wanted to risk setting off the rest of the OT clays.

This even helps you to discover new recepies, what can be used what not. Like when I run out from everything, I could still make budget mines from oxygen+welding fuel and what ever leftovers I found. Claymore are really cheap, pack 120 units, so you can pack them and they don't even need an igniter or proxy. You can put them without and xenos have to step on them, which even makes it safer if you place it near marines.

The fan part is to make actually useful things. Like this claymore. I have a good recipe for a small radius powerful mine that will knock out a xeno, small fire, so he won't fight, but short fire duration (2 sec) so marines can run in to kill it an not get blocked by fire. You can hide these close to marines and they can get a kill. So try to experiment with stuff like this, as all casings have limits, so no real point putting 120 cyclo in them, less is enough. Fill it with something that burns or so. Experiment with stuff.

Than you will learn some tricks, things that is not covered by any wiki, like mixing even 15 15 phosphor phoron will burn like hell or how to hide C4s and clays and such.

TLDR...deploy. Don't stay on ship.
    Last edited by Fix it again Tony; 12-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.