Byond ID?
    Jaz Sunman

CM Character?
    Kai Diamond

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    EST

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    7 hours typically, but occasionally 10+ hours

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I help run 3 servers in discord (Biggest member count: 566)

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    I used to play Fulpstation a lot but it got too ridiculous.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    I have no previous applications.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Like I said, I help run a couple large servers on discord but I recently resigned from a couple so I could apply for this role.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    I have not.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    TerraGov Marine Corps.
    I was the "ARES" and a marine told me to fire OB on a flare (He said it was a great shot). There was no command and no staff online. I fired the OB and turns out it was a flare at FOB. I was banned but it got appealed after I explained the situation. This was 2 months ago I believe.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    I am completely open for communication and I believe it is one of my strengths.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I find the best way to understand the situation is to hear all sides of the story. I would start off with checking the logs so I can get some info before I confront anyone. I'd then talk to the MP who arrested the player. Hear his side of the story. I'd then PM the shooter. I would ask myself the following questions based on my investigation:
    Is the player is new? Did they misfire? Do they know how to put the safety on? Was this intentional?

If the player is new or had a misfire, I'd simply explain to them how to put on the safety and let the MPs know of the situation. I'd let the MPs take it from there.

If it was intentional, I would look into the shooters notes and see if there's any past incidents. If I notice a pattern, I'd apply a temp-ban, if this was a one time incident, I'd write a note in case of future situations.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I know that moderators are not responsible for whitelist roles, so I'd inform the player where and how to write a report on the forum so the situation can be dealt with. I'd additionally supply the player with the predators name and byond ckey.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I will immediately PM the player to understand the situation because in case they are a new player, I don't want MPs to confuse them any further.
    If they are indeed a new player, I'd inform them who I am and how to talk to me. I'd let them know the basic story of the station: "We are the Colonial Marines, you are currently on a "ship" and your role is to fight enemy Xenos/CLFs...etc"
    If I had the time, I'd spawn as a SEA and help them get ready and deploy.
    If I did not, I'd look for a mentor to help out.

If this was a case where the player was not new, I'd remind them that they are required to wear their equipment. I'd also write a note just in case they ignore me and do it again in the future.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I understand players can get heated sometimes so I would calmly inform them that they can go to the forum (I'd supply link) and write a staff report and a senior staff member will review it.
    I'd also remind them that in rule 0.2 of CM, players are not allowed to argue a verdict given and should instead take it to a formal staff complaint.
    If they're insults continued, I'd additionally write a note and inform him that continuing this behavior will lead to a ban.
    If the player used any racial slurs or other phrases stated in rule 3, I would apply a temp ban because I believe moderators deserve at certain level of respect.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would thank the informant and let them know the situation will be handled.
    I'd then PM the marine named 'John Doe' and remind them of rule 12.
    If it was a simple mistake, I'd remind them to read the rules before playing and then ask for a temp name I'd give to them for the rest of the round. I'd also put a note on his account in case the marine ignores my warning.
    If the marine has a multitude of notes stating that they have broke rule 12. I'd apply a temp ban because the marine is obviously not taking our warnings seriously.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This situation is a tricky one. The MT is breaking SoP but not exactly a rule. I'd observe them to ensure they were not using the weapon to hurt someone, but I'd generally let the MPs deal with the situation.
    If the MT was not responding to orders or neglecting their job, I'd PM them and just inform them that the gear they have is not permitted for the security level. I would also let them know that stealing equipment from squad preps/req is low RP and I'd advise against it.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Well I start off my PMing the survivor and remind them that they are not to be hostile, as stated in rule 2.
    I'd look at their notes and if I see a pattern, I'd apply a job ban and inform them that they can appeal this ban through forums (I'd supply the link).

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would first off interview the player. Ask them if they were brigged before for any other reason or had committed any other crimes. I'd then PM the MP and ask their side of the story.
    If the MP is new, I'd inform them that there is a computer called the Jurisdictional Automated System that automatically applies the correct time sentence to a crime.
    If this MP has past notes of not following Marine law and not using the Jurisdictional Automated System, I'd apply a job ban so they could review Marine law.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I'd take on the role as Queen Mother and message the Xenos to avenge their sisters and take out as many talls as possible. On the marine side, I'd fax the CO/XO and say that HC has additional tasks for the Almayer and needs this operation to be finished ASAP.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I'd first off talk to the medic in RP, inform them that they are ODing the marines and that it prevents me from reviving them. I'd additionally talk to them in LOOC and tell them to ask a mentor for help. I'd also ask a mentor to help that medic.
    I would also check the players notes to make sure this is not a reoccurring situation.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I'd simply inform the CLF member that rule 4 states that enemy forces can continue fighting after the round end. I'd attach a link to the rules.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I would stop the marine from continuing their rampage. I would PM the marine and ask their reasoning. I would give them a stern warning and write a note of their actions.
    If they have past notes of doing this type of thing, I'd apply a ban to them and inform them how to appeal and which rules they broke (rule 13 and 14).

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I'd first off look at the logs to see if it was just one punch or a whole fight. Was the marine punching him to death?
    I would remind the murder of rule 14 and get them a stern warning and note on their account.
    If I see this player has broken rule 14 before, I'd apply a temp ban to them.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would start by announcing via MOOC that a improper mutiny is a bannable offence and that all marines that are apart of this improper mutiny need to stop. If the mutiny involves a lot of marines I'd ask for assistance from another mod/admin.
    I'd search the logs for the marine who started the mutiny and remind them specifically the steps they must follow to conduct a mutiny. I'd add a note to their account just in case of future incidents.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I'd immediately inform all those making the comments through MOOC that they are breaking rule 3 and must stop now.
    If they continue and ignore my warning, I'd inform that bans will be given if this doesn't stop. I'd additionally add notes to each of the marines involved.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    That can be two things, a new player or a griefer. Either way, I'd instantly ban the account and leave a note for them stating where to appeal and what they did wrong. I'd also check their notes to see if this has happened before. Additionally, I'd revive all marines killed in the shooting.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I'd PM the player and ask for the reason of their actions because suiciding is not okay. If they did it because they needed to SSD or didn't want to prolong the round end (marines were about to win)
    I'd inform them that A. if you SSD, another player can take over the larva and B. you shouldn't join as a Xeno to end the round. I'd apply a note to their account.
    If I see that this has happened before, I'd apply a Xeno ban.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I would PM the player and review their past notes. I would inform them that low RP is against the rules and that it is a bannable offence. If this was a repeat offender, I'd potentially apply a temp ban. I'd add a note to their account stating the situation.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would inform the Xeno that ahelped that rule 2 allows such words to be used but I would suggest they LOOC to the other Xeno and tell them that its better RP to call it a "metal bird".

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would PM the command staff player that it is against rule 2 to mention aliens as they do not know about them. I'd ask them if there was a reason for their knowledge of aliens, such as a survivor or special HC report. I'd check notes if this player has broke this rule before and I'd give them a warning to make sure they follow rule 2.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This situation is tricky and would heavily depend on the RP that was played.
    If the player had RPed being hysterical and followed proper escalation, I'd consider it actually good RP and allow it.
    If the marine had NOT followed proper escalation and just walked up to the pod, saw that it was full, and just shot another marine. I'd consider that low RP and PM the player on how to handle that situation better.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Like I said before, I'd inform them that if they had an issue with me or my verdict, they could file a staff report on the forum.
    I'd inform them they are breaking rule 0.2 and if they continue they could be banned.
    If they continue, I will not be hesitant to apply a ban because like I said before, staff members deserve a certain level of respect.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would inform the player that I am sorry about what happened but I cannot abuse my power in that way. I'd also let him know that he can rejoin the game via Xeno after he dies. I'd again apologize that I cannot help him.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I'd start off by PMing the staff member in a passive and not aggressive tone, Ex) "Hey, I don't mean to step on your toes or anything but isn't the CMP not allowed to deploy?". If its a bigger situation, I'd inform a manager of the incident.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would only involve myself (if I wasn't already involved) if things got too heated and I would just say to everyone to just calm down and take a breath. I would additionally report the incident to a manager for them to review.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I really enjoy playing CM and have played it for a long time now. I want to become more than just a player, I want to help this game continue to have a high standard of RP and gaming. I've always preferred CM over other servers because it was more structured and less ridiculous yet still funny and enjoyable.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    I think having a consistently positive attitude, an open mind, and good sense of fairness are critical qualities for a moderator. A situation can be defused very easily if you have a good attitude because it makes you more friendly and easier to talk to. An open mind is also important because not every situation is textbook rule breaking and you need to be able to judge a situation with all sides taken into account. Lastly, fairness. Fairness is important because when you are judging a situation, the CMPs story is just as important as the Privates story. You need to be unbias and make your rulings with fairness.

Anything else you
    Thank you very much for considering my application. I am honestly just a fair guy who is good at handling situations. I dislike getting angry and always try to stay positive! Thank you again! {Just wanted to say that I didn't join the game in Jan 2021, I just never had a use for the forums till now}
    Last edited by Jaz_Sunman; 01-04-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?

I'd first off talk to the medic in RP, inform them that they are ODing the marines and that it prevents me from reviving them. I'd additionally talk to them in LOOC and tell them to ask a mentor for help. I'd also ask a mentor to help that medic.
    I would also check the players notes to make sure this is not a reoccurring situation.
    This one we'll assume the marine in question definitely knows what they're doing, the IC RP part is totally fine, however you'd want to reach out to your fellow moderators / admins via an ahelp and then leave it at that. We'll investigate it for you and determine whether or not they need guidance or if they're straight up griefing.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?

I would start by announcing via MOOC that a improper mutiny is a bannable offence and that all marines that are apart of this improper mutiny need to stop. If the mutiny involves a lot of marines I'd ask for assistance from another mod/admin.
    I'd search the logs for the marine who started the mutiny and remind them specifically the steps they must follow to conduct a mutiny. I'd add a note to their account just in case of future incidents.
    Sometimes you'll find yourself in a situation where you're alone (only mod on or others are AFK), don't be afraid to sleep everyone in view - then start asking your questions from there. You're not going to be punished for doing something in good faith.

Good answers, and it's a good thing to be able to stay positive. +1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 6Dirty pointed out everything here. I believe you would do fine after some training.

+1
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trust my fellow staff members with their choice.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good answers. The training program will teach you the rest.

+1

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, nothing much to add here. And with the support you've gotten so far, you should be getting your trial soon.

+1
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to echo solid app and great answers +1
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good app with nothing that can’t be fixed during tmod phase +1

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accepted
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.