0 Thread(s)

Stan_albatross - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Stan_albatross

Player Name You Use Most?
    Karl Karlsson

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...(Job-Role-Ban) | Metagaming, xeno jban, accepted

//showthrea...or-Application | mod application, withdrawn

//showthrea...ja-Application | Predator application, accepted

//showthrea...ic-Application | Synthetic application, accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    British Standard Time - UTC + 0

What is your discord username and handle?
    ꌋꄣꆏꆽ#9467

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The CO is the leader of the operation and they need to devise the plan, hold briefing, and assign tasks to marines and shipside personnel. The CO is also the coordinator of the operation. If two people need to cooperate, then CO and the CIC at large facilitates that cooperation. The CO also has the final say over decisions and is the stabilising force aboard the ship - if someone wants to do something crazy that will destabilise the operation, the CO can stop them.

The CO is also important with MP issues and needs to oversee the actions of the MPs (without overly interfering) and be generally aware of the MPs' situation, as well as handling appeals and requests for execution.

The CO, when commanding, also has the responsibility of prediction - thinking about what IS going to happen and planning for it, not just reacting to things that happen in the present.

Finally, the CO's job is to improve the marine side's experience of the round - instead of a poorly coordinated operation led by ungas charging towards the first xeno they see, with infrequent announcements, the CO creates a unified force of marines assigned and completing their various duties, as well as informing them of threats and actions they need to take to avoid them. The CO thinks for the marines and tells them what they should be doing, what might happen, what they should do in that case, etc. The CO should also answer any questions anyone has over comms. (this is important, an uninformed or unaware marine is an ineffective, useless, and angry marine.)

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I enjoy playing XO a lot, and would like to be able to take my CIC gameplay to the next level by being able to deploy, change SOP, etc. I also want to help other XO players and teach them the role, which is quite difficult for first timers, from a position above them rather than below them as an SO.

I also want to foster an immersive atmosphere in the game and improve the marine side's experiences by giving interesting orders, announcements, and interacting with other CIC and shipside players.

Finally, I want to help the entire marine side and their experience of the game by providing them with solid and stable command and leadership.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

A dossier of Karl's military career, and a short recap of his first operation as a Captain.

3980 words.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I am extremely familiar with CIC positions and head of department positions, having been playing them for over a year and racking up a fair amount of time on them both before and after timelocks. While I went on break between January and June 2021, since I came back I have been pretty much maining XO and consider myself to know all the ins and outs of the role, and to have been in pretty much every situation I could be confronted with, other than a mutiny.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    CE - very familiar, while I have not played much CE as of late in mid 2020 I did so fairly often. It's not an extremely deep role but I know all that comes with it such as engineering skills, OT, and how to load the OB, as well as apc repair and all that stuff. Total tracked time 4 hours.

RO - extremely familiar, I still play RO from time to time and enjoy it, but it's not my main job due to how repetitive it gets. I know how to run req perfectly from my experience as this and as synth. Total tracked time 18 hours.

CMO - extremely familiar, while I rarely play it nowadays I know everything about medical from playing synth. Total tracked time 3 hours.

CMP - I have been playing more of it as of late and am very familiar with the role. I understand arrest procedure, appeal procedure, and execution procedure properly and am experienced with lowpop MP as well. Total tracked time 23 hours.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Very familiar, I usually give it a read over before playing any role that requires knowledge of it but I can remember most of it without looking at the wiki page. I have a total of 44 hours on MP roles and have run into almost all the situations one can run into.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    When someone is presenting an immediate grave danger to the ship, my command, the operation, or other people, such as someone blowing up part of the ship deliberately.

When somone is presenting an immediate THREAT, such as saying that they are going to kill the RO for not giving them 5 HEDPs while I'm walking past the req line, or inciting a mutiny, I would warn them to stop and if they continue threatening/their current actions or carry out their threats I would BE them.

If MPs can be used, these should be defaulted to instead of BEs, and I would prefer to have MPs handle the issues of threats most of the time.

If the individual is in MP custody BEs may not be used.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    It is legal to pardon major and minor crimes, but personally I would refrain from using pardons frequently, and would reserve them for situations when the prisoner is actually VITAL to the operation (such as the only doctor being brigged when we have hugged aboard). I would refrain from pardoning when the prisoner is only "useful" to the operation such as a spec.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much to say here, frankly. I've had Karl as my XO/SO for 2/3 rounds so far and I've not been disappointed in any way. Capable, attentive and knowledgable as described in this app. Skills all seem to be up to match.

Your story is absolutely phenomenal and it almost saddens me a little because it makes every other CO's crappy 500 word stories look bad. You really put in extra-extra work on that, and it shows that you really do want this Whitelist. Big fan of Dossiers, too, so that's another plus.

By the way, when we ask for "Familiarity with Heads of Department positions" the question primarily revolves around knowing what a department is meant to handle, and how YOU, as a CO, should/would have to include them into an operation. You should know that Req needs FOB coords as soon as possible, that you shouldn't let your only Doctor deploy because people will come up with larvae and nobody can do surgery then, or that Engies...

Well, actually, Engineering is kind of pointless, still. But you get what I mean!

This app is great, the applicant is great, nuff said.

Have my +1
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stan_albatross AKA Karl Karlsson is a model player. I mean than in the most sincere way. He has lead me from Whisky Outpost to Shiva's Snowball. At every point he was dedicated and concise in his orders. As a man who mains Delta, I know I am always in good hands with Karl. If the elf on the shelf vouches for you, this is an easy +1 for me.
    Last edited by DukeofCagliostro; 10-21-2021 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Grammer

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid answers, the story's fine, the player is active and reliable. If you'll stick to what you've wrote here while playing as CO then there shouldn't be any issues at all.

+1
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to main the fuck outta XO but I'm exhausted now.
    I have positive with karl and his synth char so far and I don' have much to add.
    +1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah stans a cool player, puts in effort and that. Easy +1 from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first when I met him I thought he was kinda retarded and never brushed his teeth. Turned out he's just British. At least he knows how to play command and other related roles good enough to be CO. 1+

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He already has the hardest whitelists to get and his application is fine. This is a no brainer.
    Well except he's british *shudder
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid application, and thoroughly reliable in-game. Played with Karl on many rounds and I can safely say they've been some of my most enjoyable.

Also he's a fellow brit so..

+1
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your story alone shows dedication. Most people write it off and do a 50 word paragraph about how they are such a cool hero. You actually wrote a massive story, and formatted it in an epic way. Besides that, you're not an idiot, and you know how to play the game. You're a good commander (I think).

Gonna have to give you a +2 out of principle alone, because man that's a long story.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: