Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Expected Contact RP Test

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    There's no where in our lore that states this is a de facto thing in the UA/USMC, nor in the Aliens lore, nor in the Predators lore. This isn't really even a thing in the modern day. All branches of the US military bar any applicants who are presently involved in a criminal justice case or are preparing to serve a sentence in prison. The only instances I could dig up of this happening is in movies about Vietnam.

Most penal battalions in real history were given literal suicide missions most of the time OR they were made as examples for regular troops as what could happen to them if they committed any crimes against their country while in service to said country. As far as I can tell, the Falling Falcons does not get suicide missions nor missions that would serve to be examples to regular troops.
    They patrol literall space wastelands where dust raiders just vanished and nobody knows where they are. They supposedly already got one engagement that damaged their ship and nearly exhausted their supplies, yet they still fly in a space coffin instead of going back for re-arm and repair. They are guarding Tychon's Rift, sector that CLF activity is high. The same sector where battalion of UPP hungry for American blood is stationing. Sector full of pirates (vessel that hit prison station) and freelancers ready to pop a bullet in your head if someone pays enough. And with recent "test" also a probable spot of Beno-Breeding.

Yeah, I wouldn't call guarding this sector as "suicidal". It's walk in the park in the reality. All those firendly factions and very nice alien specie that likes to be petted.

It's not officialy a penal battalion, but it has basically every quirk of one. Alien, or Predator, or Real Life "lore" of Hamburgerica won't cover this.

"The last several years almost a dozen worlds have gone dark, and several USCM detachments and garrisons have seemingly disappeared. Recruitment to the USCM has sharply dropped, and morale has plummeted, especially among the outer-rim colonies that depend on the USCM for protection from pirates and hostile nations."

You won't find in modern day examples where private company exchanges tech and supplies with govts (and military) for safety of their own colonies, yet we have WY.

Also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_waiver
    There is nothing too far fetched about govts loosing up those "waiver" requirements for more serious crimes when manpower goes really low and criminals are at hand's reach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    They patrol literal space wastelands where dust raiders just vanished and nobody knows where they are. They supposedly already got one engagement that damaged their ship and nearly exhausted their supplies, yet they still fly in a space coffin instead of going back for re-arm and repair.
    If I recall correctly, the USS Almayer was on its way to the GSO station in Herculis for a rearm/repair before happening upon whatever distress signal it happens to find.

They are guarding Tychon's Rift, sector that CLF activity is high. The same sector where battalion of UPP hungry for American blood is stationing. Sector full of pirates (vessel that hit prison station) and freelancers ready to pop a bullet in your head if someone pays enough.
    From what I can gleam, Tychon's Rift is a large swathe of outer-colony space. Herculis exists within the Tychon's Rift, but the Almayer does not patrol the entirety of Tychon's Rift. If I had to make an analogy that'd be like saying just because you have a submarine that's patrolling the shores of Cuba, that does not mean that it's patrolling the entire Atlantic Ocean. Granted, though, it's not exactly "safe space" there's probably other battalions that are patrolling the Tychon's Rift in a similar situation of having to be on alert for UPP/CLF/Freelancers/Xenomorphs.

You won't find in modern day examples where private company exchanges tech and supplies with govts (and military) for safety of their own colonies, yet we have WY.
    The military-industrial complex is not specific or unique to Aliens lore. It's got the same structure with a few factors of it pulled to extremes so as to create an interesting story.

Felony waivers are waivers for potential military recruits after they have served their sentences, not during or prior. And, speaking from experience, these are really rare as is, so long as the felony wasn't something absurdly violent or outright psychotic. Since a felony doesn't really ascribe to any particular type of crime, persay, and the only real deciding factor is whether or not the individual in question is charged with a crime that they are sentenced to a year or more in prison for, some felons still do end up in the US military (typically Marines and Army, though generally these people are not given combat roles and mostly get put into logistics MOS's)

There is nothing too far fetched about govts loosing up those "waiver" requirements for more serious crimes when manpower goes really low and criminals are at hand's reach.
    There's not anything far fetched about it at all. There may, in fact, be penal battalions within the USMC, but from what I've personally looked into about the Falling Falcons from CM13's established wiki lore, there's just not enough substantial evidence to convince me they are a penal battalion. Also I wouldn't really say that the Tychon's Rift is at "hand's reach" since it's literally the furthest territories of colonial space. It's a good meme, and I don't think you can't roleplay your character being a prisoner conscript if you want, though.
    Last edited by Corocan; 09-20-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_waiver
    I know we're not taking the Alien franchise as gospel any more but there are some references to a 'Service or Jail Act' on the wiki.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unga bunga can cl be like "xenos mad" in faxes and reference Xenomorph XX121?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Alex View Post
    I know we're not taking the Alien franchise as gospel any more but there are some references to a 'Service or Jail Act' on the wiki.
    In the CM wiki?
    Mind if you quote/link? I'd love to see it myself actually as I don't see how the USCM couldn't be enacting such policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Alex View Post
    In the CM wiki?
    Mind if you quote/link? I'd love to see it myself actually as I don't see how the USCM couldn't be enacting such policies.

Also, the USCM upper echelons aren't stupid I'd say. Your Pfc on the Almayer is just an Unga, but if we want a legitimate reason for why our heavily damaged and below-average discipline/combat effectiveness marines are going to cleanse a planet/station its because:

- We had a prior engagement with CLF that used up our explosive ammo, damaged the ship in some superficial areas (read: AA Damaged, Possibly comms, Possibly ARES, Possibly the Sensors, and so on.

- USCM morale, discipline and recruitment is down across the organization due to engagements with a recurrent CLF insurgency, Xenomorph Hive Alpha wiping its way through the galaxy (and in our USS Almayer case the very tip of Hive Alpha's spear is our sector), and UPP ops to disrupt the United Americas' ability to rule with law and order, and last but not least the good old fashioned USCM corruption infesting every level of the officer ranks which is causing a whole host of issues

- Due to our prior engagement(s) with CLF, the Captain and other CIC staff of the USS Almayer had to make a tough call.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Long story short,
    The battered QRF unit of Falling Falcons (USS Almayer and co.) received a distress signal. They were rerouted from whatever their original goal was post-CLF battle (likely either returning for proper marine replenishment or just resuming patrols with what they've got) and sent to engage the enemy on the station.

We don't know for sure if its Xenomorphs and the Sector isn't exactly stable enough to rule our Pirates or CLF. We'll only be able to know truly when we lands. If it is xenomorphs? Well, we better be ready for the fight of our life cause the damn things have given even the largest arrays of USCM force a run for their money.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 09-21-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the people fighting over it Almayer crew are conscripted prisoners, devs and I believe Apop himself confirmed this on the old forums. Im not gonna go looking for it right now, but if I had the motivation Id source it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some very outdated info that was phased out about the same time people started getting beaned for LRP. Can't really expect people to act like functional and competent members of society and then have it Canon everyone is a convict facing a life sentence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conscripts yes.

Prisoners no.

Whatever Apop said a thousand years ago is irrelevant.

An entire ship crewed by convicts is insane to suggest.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    Conscripts yes.

Prisoners no.

Convicts =/= murderers.

Convicts =/= brain dead morons.

Who would be more willing to serve, the man ten years in prison, wanting out, or the man who's got a family and a nice job?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    Conscripts yes.

Prisoners no.

Devs said it, im not even sure if it were Apop who added onto it. And I obviously didn't mean an entire ship.