User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Expected Contact RP Test

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current situation with the UA draws better parallels with the Vietnam war and their Conscription/Draft than this concept of a penal battalion.

I lack expertise but the Vietnam war showcased the US militaries breakdown in the quality of the average soldier. A choice quote I found seems to illustrate this, "By every conceivable indicator, our army that now remains in Vietnam is in a state approaching collapse.... The morale, discipline, and battle-worthiness of the U.S. Armed Forces are, with a few salient exceptions, lower and worse than at any time..."

This reality. That the United Americas is not only in a Cold War with the UPP, dealing with an insurrection across their outer colonies by the CLF, but now also contending with a seemingly encroaching invasion by the Xenomorph threat, is putting overwhelming pressure on the Colonial Marines. To the point where you legitimately could have people refusing to enlist for not wanting to be sent to fight lovecraftian nightmares that annihilate entire worlds, which would justify the introduction of mass conscription to bolster their ranks.

This reality, seems much more authentic to justify the lower quality and calibre of the Falling Falcons, a battalion consisting of everyone from eager. but green recruits, to scared shitless conscripts who'd rather by flying to the next Galaxy.

That seems far more engaging that than the United Americas reverting to the 18th century and using Penal Battalions, which is nothing more than a Warhammer 40k lite idea that makes no logical sense for a country based off of the United States of America and Canada.

---------------

I could legitimately see the idea of Penal Battalions being used in very, very dire circumstances, such as a full on invasion of Earth by the Xenomorphs, and the UA being involved in total war with the UPP, whittling the capabilites of the USCM to the point where they may have legitimate need to force prisoners into combat. But even that's a stretch.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    The current situation with the UA draws better parallels with the Vietnam war and their Conscription/Draft than this concept of a penal battalion.

I lack expertise but the Vietnam war showcased the US militaries breakdown in the quality of the average soldier. A choice quote I found seems to illustrate this, "By every conceivable indicator, our army that now remains in Vietnam is in a state approaching collapse.... The morale, discipline, and battle-worthiness of the U.S. Armed Forces are, with a few salient exceptions, lower and worse than at any time..."

This reality. That the United Americas is not only in a Cold War with the UPP, dealing with an insurrection across their outer colonies by the CLF, but now also contending with a seemingly encroaching invasion by the Xenomorph threat, is putting overwhelming pressure on the Colonial Marines. To the point where you legitimately could have people refusing to enlist for not wanting to be sent to fight lovecraftian nightmares that annihilate entire worlds, which would justify the introduction of mass conscription to bolster their ranks.

This reality, seems much more authentic to justify the lower quality and calibre of the Falling Falcons, a battalion consisting of everyone from eager. but green recruits, to scared shitless conscripts who'd rather by flying to the next Galaxy.

That seems far more engaging that than the United Americas reverting to the 18th century and using Penal Battalions, which is nothing more than a Warhammer 40k lite idea that makes no logical sense for a country based off of the United States of America and Canada.

---------------

I could legitimately see the idea of Penal Battalions being used in very, very dire circumstances, such as a full on invasion of Earth by the Xenomorphs, and the UA being involved in total war with the UPP, whittling the capabilites of the USCM to the point where they may have legitimate need to force prisoners into combat. But even that's a stretch.
    Yeah, when James Cameron designed the Colonial Marines, the pretty much based them on the US forces in Vietnam, from their gear (helmets, unfiorms, the Chayenne dropship is pretty much an AH-10 Cobra) to attitude (cocky, "we're going to win", unruly) is pretty much Vietnam-era soldiers IIIN SPACEEEEE.

Still I like to imagine that the Falling Falcons specifically are one of the units with lower standards, since Tychon's Rift is one of the worst sectors they just lumped a bunch of conscripts, rookies, insubordinates, hell-raisers and troublemakers, put them as shock troopers against rebels, commies and aliums.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike the idea that the Falling Falcons are a penal battalion. Historically, penal battalions have not been entrusted with heavy equipment or technologies. I refuse to believe that a futuristic military would entrust a full ship, tanks, attack drop ships and heavy weapons to a penal battalion made up of the who's who of the nearest drunk tank and jail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played for the first time since this was implemented yesterday and if felt really good to not have to play an idiot.

Freely calling xenos by their designations and not having to "explain" what that giant molerat dinosaur with acid blood is saved so much time and caused so much less confusion in ungas.

Great change, please let it stay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good change really. Didn't really affect the normal roundflow at all, and you don't have to pretend that you haven't known anything about the xeno already. No more "red dog" shit. Please let it stay permanently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    I dislike the idea that the Falling Falcons are a penal battalion. Historically, penal battalions have not been entrusted with heavy equipment or technologies. I refuse to believe that a futuristic military would entrust a full ship, tanks, attack drop ships and heavy weapons to a penal battalion made up of the who's who of the nearest drunk tank and jail.
    Well we should keep in mind that historically when a state has chosen to use literal penal battalions they also tend to have an abundance of "political criminals" (i.e. those who disagree and might just form a rebellion if given enough material to work with) who can be pressed into service under threat of starvation as all the surplus food rushes away from the prisons and toward the fronts.

Generally when I think "penal battalion" in the context of this game I think more about how sometimes judges in America before the 70's would give young guys who were charged with more "petty crimes" the choice of joining the military or going to jail/on probation. We definitely don't do this anymore (the US military just doesn't want that kinda trouble anymore) but in the rougher days of 50 years ago it wasn't unheard of, and i'd imagine an active-and-coordinated rebellion in UA territory would make for a good reason bring that system back around.
    Last edited by davidofmk771; 09-25-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaddishRed View Post
    Played for the first time since this was implemented yesterday and if felt really good to not have to play an idiot.

Freely calling xenos by their designations and not having to "explain" what that giant molerat dinosaur with acid blood is saved so much time and caused so much less confusion in ungas.

Great change, please let it stay.
    I always hated that cause praetorians always gave me a "what the fuck do i call you" vibe. Like, mini-screechers? Crestguards? Giant spitters? All of their distinguishing features are taken by other castes.

10/10 would simply call them praetorians again.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    I always hated that cause praetorians always gave me a "what the fuck do i call you" vibe. Like, mini-screechers? Crestguards? Giant spitters? All of their distinguishing features are taken by other castes.

10/10 would simply call them praetorians again.
    I always called them big black fuckers and ravagers big red fuckers. Anyone too stupid to know what im talking about can enjoy dying to the praetorian or ravager.