User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on marine law?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think marine law needs changed, and I like these changes

7 43.75%
  • I think marine law needs changed, but I dislike these changes

6 37.50%
  • I do not think marine law needs to be changed

3 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please God Change Marine Law Please God Please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of marine law are we on? How many revisions have there been at this point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to be under the impression more than one charge can be placed when only one can outside of resisting arrest or crimes that specifically allow stakxed charges. The minor crimes you complain about have a maximum of 15 minutes in most cases and it only goes longer if someone is seriously fucking around enough to be worth charging with disorderly conduct or something.
    Marine law could still use a good number of changes but it's unlikely that it's going to be rendered pointless by dropping times that low, it's a punishment if you get arrested so staff dont need to deal with people causing low level issues most of the time currently.
    Ahelp if the charge is obviously wrong or meant to brig for as long as possible over something minor, changing marine law won't change Mps doing this as it's an option for MP's on what charge to place.
    Last edited by Solarmare; 12-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahKirchner View Post
    The charges for something like this would be a lot higher than 2-10 depending on how the MPs enforce it. This is assault, resisting arrest, hooliganism and you could argue neglect of duty. The total for that is 40 minutes without neglect of duty included, or 50 with it included. That is a massive amount of time to spend in the brig and it's certainly fitting for the shitshow that they cause.

That is only the case if the marine who does this then willingly surrenders to the MPs, and theft could also be constituted in this if they then took the oxycodone, bumping the time up considerably. I do see a solution to this though, I think I should add to the description of neglect of duty "Or actively and intentionally preventing other crew members from adequately performing their duties". However, the punishment for this is still more than 15 minutes when you stack.

--
    All of these are meant to be stacked in situations where someone is causing a major disruption, I always assumed that was the point of the "60 minutes or more permabrig" timer. As it stands, the times marines can spend in the brig is a bit ridiculous. I absolutely see your concerns, but I think we are interpreting differently here, because I am certainly not implying that marines who majorly disrupt the rounds should only spent a few minutes in the brig, I am just differing on the means to give that marine suitable amounts of punishment time without also allowing someone who misclicks to be brigged for 30 minutes.

I say this in the nicest way I can, because I respect what you're trying to do here:

Don't suggest changes to marine law if you don't know how it works.

I play CMP over MP exclusively. This isn't because I like being the biggest, baddest motherfucker on the ship with his little red book: It's because I see these little mistakes everywhere. Players who shouldn't be breaking any laws are being arrested and processed by people who don't know how it works, and the whole thing falls apart when Squad animosity clashes with unchecked MPs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be blunt.

The proposals are awful, and I believe its because you've likely fundamentally misunderstood marine law.

Which is understandable, it can be tricky. However you're making some rather LARGE mistakes, one I am honestly, very surprised you would make.

This suggests you lack two things.

Internal Knowledge of Marine laws practice (Experience as an MP, what works and what doesnt, what systems need tweaking and which are fine)

External Knowledge of marine law (The actual hard facts of marine law, as stated on the wiki)

I can say, I do know someone who is extremely well-versed in marine law is working on tweaking it and is discussing it a lot with many parties, so I wouldnt worry about a rework just yet.