User Tag List

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: MP hate is a scam to lower RP standards - prove me wrong

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of the opinion is you ahelp MP behavior you should be punished for any OOC rules you broke which got you arrested.

If you ahelp being arrested for interfering with an arrest you should be punished for interfering with an arrest. If you don't want a situation handled ICly then it won't be, in ANY respect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    I am of the opinion is you ahelp MP behavior you should be punished for any OOC rules you broke which got you arrested.

If you ahelp being arrested for interfering with an arrest you should be punished for interfering with an arrest. If you don't want a situation handled ICly then it won't be, in ANY respect.
    Interfering with an arrest isn’t an OOC rule violation, so there is no punishment for it. And half-assing OOC enforcement would only make the situation far worse. Either MPs and ML need to be removed in favor of full OOC enforcement, or ML needs to be torn down and completely rewritten.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WitheredGryphon View Post
    Interfering with an arrest isn’t an OOC rule violation, so there is no punishment for it. And half-assing OOC enforcement would only make the situation far worse. Either MPs and ML need to be removed in favor of full OOC enforcement, or ML needs to be torn down and completely rewritten.
    It is against the rules, it's just never enforced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    It is against the rules, it's just never enforced.
    And what rule would that be? It isn’t griefing as it is defined as “major shenanigans.” And there’s generally a valid roleplay reason for interfering that someone could make an argument for regardless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there’s generally a valid roleplay reason for interfering that someone could make an argument for regardless.
    No there's not. If a cop arrests the guy next to you, even if it is on bullshit charges, you might loudly protest but you're not going to knock the cop over and break out your friend.

There is no valid roleplay reason for interfering with an arrest. You go to an officer and protest, demand the MP be demoted and your friend released. You're not going to risk your career with violence against law enforcement (yes, disarm spam and dragging someone away included) over your buddy getting cuffed over not having a helmet. Do things through the proper channels.
    Last edited by alexpkeaton; 12-23-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post
    No there's not. If a cop arrests the guy next to you, even if it is on bullshit charges, you might loudly protest but you're not going to knock the cop over and break out your friend.

There is no valid roleplay reason for interfering with an arrest. You go to an officer and protest, demand the MP be demoted and your friend released. You're not going to risk your career with violence against law enforcement (yes, disarm spam and dragging someone away included) over your buddy getting cuffed over not having a helmet. Do things through the proper channels.
    Such channels doesn't exist. CMP won't give a fuck about MP doing bad shit, Command won't care, HC won't respond with fax (that you have no way of sending as PFC) etc. The fastest way for marines is to fiddle with arrest. It's not good behaviour, but I can't blame them. It's frustrating you are powerless against MP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post

You really hype up what a battery charge is in military law. The penalty for simple battery (shoving, let’s say), and a (potential) obstruction of justice charge is confinement (and potentially reduced pay or a demotion since we’re talking MPs). You’d be hard pressed to convince someone for a dishonorable discharge for shoving someone in the military, obstruction of justice or otherwise. Discharge is the absolute maximum possible penalty that can be given for an OoJ charge.

And *way* worse shit happens in the military than stopping an arrest by pushing. Just look up any military obstruction of justice cases. People will try to justify it, too, in the real world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as interference with an arrest goes, if it turns into a situation where I have to choose between the original criminal or an interferer, I generally target the interfering marine. One is already wanted tagged and the other usually isn’t. The wanted usually gets picked up by another MP whereas I won’t have time to set the interfering other to arrest and may forget the name so they take priority.

More satisfying too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really hype up what a battery charge is in military law. The penalty for simple battery (shoving, let’s say), and a (potential) obstruction of justice charge is confinement (and potentially reduced pay or a demotion since we’re talking MPs). You’d be hard pressed to convince someone for a dishonorable discharge for shoving someone in the military, obstruction of justice or otherwise. Discharge is the absolute maximum possible penalty that can be given for an OoJ charge.

And *way* worse shit happens in the military than stopping an arrest by pushing. Just look up any military obstruction of justice cases. People will try to justify it, too, in the real world.
    Speaking as someone who studied for three years to be a JAG and got to know a lot of people in SecFo, dishonorable discharges are reserved for felony-class type crimes like murder and rape. You won't see someone get a DD for battery and direct obstruction of justice, but you WILL see them get a bad conduct discharge, which has a lot of the same effects that you're probably focusing on when it comes to a DD, like being discharged from the military and usually serving time in confinement for a bit. To go below a bad conduct discharge, you can still get a temporary/permanent reduction in pay grade or a demotion. In fact, to illustrate the point of how easily this can happen for relatively mundane infractions AND ALSO to illustrate the messiness that is the UCMJ sometimes, check out a screenshot I was sent this year under an Article 15 NJP.

captaincarson.jpg

As you can see, you can lose rank for stealing a blanket. Lay hands on an MP and you could lose more than that.

But feel free to strangle some colonists, just make sure you're at least an SO lol.
    Last edited by Corocan; 12-23-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocan View Post
    Speaking as someone who studied for three years to be a JAG and got to know a lot of people in SecFo, dishonorable discharges are reserved for felony-class type crimes like murder and rape. You won't see someone get a DD for battery and direct obstruction of justice, but you WILL see them get a bad conduct discharge, which has a lot of the same effects that you're probably focusing on when it comes to a DD, like being discharged from the military and usually serving time in confinement for a bit. To go below a bad conduct discharge, you can still get a temporary/permanent reduction in pay grade or a demotion. In fact, to illustrate the point of how easily this can happen for relatively mundane infractions AND ALSO to illustrate the messiness that is the UCMJ sometimes, check out a screenshot I was sent this year under an Article 15 NJP.

captaincarson.jpg

As you can see, you can lose rank for stealing a blanket. Land hands on an MP and you could lose more than that.

But feel free to strangle some colonists, just make sure you're at least an SO lol.
    I don't disagree that confinement would happen or demotion as we're looking at MPs. I don't work in military law, but speaking from working with statutory law and regulations, I have a hard time believing a first time OoJ charge would receive any sort of discharge. You're clearly more qualified to speak on it than I am if you've worked as a JAG, though.