User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to the devs - Don't tread on nades. (About the latest dev branch)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Open Letter to the devs - Don't tread on nades. (About the latest dev branch)

All around I think CM is shaping up lovely with the latest dev branch. But seriously. If you gotta do one thing. It's not strip away stuff from researcher.
    Researcher is a glorified chemist already. And I'd find it rare if ever people willingly playing researcher. You're detached from any conflict. And you've gotta research crap.
    And it's no surprise that when you look at the research class in the 'Join USCM' menu it's usually a 0 at the start of a fresh round.

Not to say research is abandoned. I do know people who play it frequently. It's just not exactly 24/7 these people are on.
    But when it comes to weaponry research in the latest dev branch (12 0'clock 06/04/2020) all of the chem nades have been left to engineering.
    Now I'm aware that they're trying to push the new OT class. But come on lad. The chem nades getting produced by OT's are far detached from any chemical tinkering.
    You can let OT's build nades. But it's when you deliberately undermine research's ability to research weapons (in the form of chem nades) is where we have problems.
    I draw a line in the sand when the only way researchers can get casings is by asking CE & going through the bureaucracy of co-departmental cooperation.
    I draw a line in the sand when they can't even assemble the fucking things.
    and I, draw a line in the sand when they've taken all the tinkering yet simplicity of one universal chem nade casing in favour of acting like we're mass producing the bloody things with all the variants.

I mean research isn't exactly research when they can't make prototypes. Or tinker around with composition. It's just a 3rd arm for IO & a chemist when you strip away any palpable long-term research.

Don't tread on nades.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were two different groups of players playing Researcher that are not compatible with each other. The group that wanted to play a bomb maker and the group that wanted to play a medical researcher. OT is targeted at the former, while the ongoing research rework is targeting the latter. The update is simply splitting these two groups into two separate roles.

If you played researcher and like the ongoing research rework, continue playing researcher. If you don't, then play OT instead, which is the same thing even but with more features.

It is as simple as that. If you enjoyed bomb making I don't see why you would even complain unless you absolutely despise not having the job title "Researcher". You literally have an entire role for the niche you had as a researcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiNerd View Post
    There were two different groups of players playing Researcher that are not compatible with each other. The group that wanted to play a bomb maker and the group that wanted to play a medical researcher. OT is targeted at the former, while the ongoing research rework is targeting the latter. The update is simply splitting these two groups into two separate roles.
    Except that researcher was never just about medical research and bomb making, and still isn't only about medical research even after the update. While the role hasn't lost all of the flexibility it used to have, I would advise you to be careful in trying to force research players to only do medical research. Limiting role to a singular task and purpose with no alternatives is what made the MT role stale. Roles shouldn't be harshly railroaded to the point where players feel like they are dancing like a puppet on strings. That kills RP and makes the game as a whole lose depth.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post
    Except that researcher was never just about medical research and bomb making, and still isn't only about medical research even after the update. While the role hasn't lost all of the flexibility it used to have, I would advise you to be careful in trying to force research players to only do medical research. Limiting role to a singular task and purpose with no alternatives is what made the MT role stale. Roles shouldn't be harshly railroaded to the point where players feel like they are dancing like a puppet on strings. That kills RP and makes the game as a whole lose depth.
    Errr it was more MTs had nothing to do not it was stale, literally MTs could fix power, load OB then get the fun option of cyroing or getting into antics which may or may not kill themselves and half the ship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiNerd View Post
    If you don't, then play OT instead, which is the same thing even but with more features.

It is as simple as that. If you enjoyed bomb making I don't see why you would even complain unless you absolutely despise not having the job title "Researcher". You literally have an entire role for the niche you had as a researcher.
    But it's not as simple as that. And it'll never be as simple as that. Research wasn't just 'bomb making' & 'medical researcher' And why do these things clash in the first place? I've met people who can do both. Fuck around with chem nades & also be a medical researcher. what you've done is clearly not understood the class the dev team wants to change. And it makes me so disappointed that the people who are responsible for improving on the basis of the game just threw class roles out the window hoping to satisfy everyone with every person fitting into a neat group which then can be made into a new role. Come on lads. You've done all-round ok with the latest strives. Don't throw out player satisfaction by updating researcher to do so much less & feel less satisfying. And don't update boiler to do MOBA attacks which are the fucking worst thing as it takes away levity from attacks in a 'point & click' C&C-esc air strike.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfan1815 View Post
    snip
    Speak for yourself not the entire playerbase. When I get on researcher to test making weapons of mass destruction and the CMO comes in telling me to go do chemistry or do surgery I usually end up getting arrested. If I want to do doctor shit I will roll doctor, not researcher. You do not speak for everyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Speak for yourself not the entire playerbase. When I get on researcher to test making weapons of mass destruction and the CMO comes in telling me to go do chemistry or do surgery I usually end up getting arrested. If I want to do doctor shit I will roll doctor, not researcher. You do not speak for everyone.
    When did I say I spoke for everyone? If you'd say it's better it's better. But I'm merely complaining about the community of people who are more.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Researchers should be able to take dead xeno bodies and make better armor or weapon upgrades or something, that's what would make researcher fun again
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfan1815 View Post
    When did I say I spoke for everyone? If you'd say it's better it's better. But I'm merely complaining about the community of people who are more.
    "Don't throw out player satisfaction by updating researcher to do so much less & feel less satisfying."

Maybe you phrased it wrong, but it sounds like you are lumping everyone together to me.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want QoL for researchers how about an automatic way to deploy chems you make like a chute going to req for CTs/RO to bag your stuff and dump or a way for it to go to medical or something. Make your chems worth something instead of begging medics to take them