User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mutually exclusive because the combat oriented roles actually relies on the shipside roles to a degree, when I ask a CT which things I want I don't really need to hear the guy say "Here you go." before handing said gear out, when I'm getting analyzed by a doctor, I don't need to listen to some made up RP ramble about what my injuries are, when I'm waiting for the dropship to land or go up, I don't need the fucking PO telling me that he "only launches on schedule" said schedule being only launching once every five fucking minutes, and so on, shipside roles at its base exists only to serve the combat oriented role and to do such efficiently means they shouldn't waste time RPing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    It's mutually exclusive because the combat oriented roles actually relies on the shipside roles to a degree, when I ask a CT which things I want I don't really need to hear the guy say "Here you go." before handing said gear out, when I'm getting analyzed by a doctor, I don't need to listen to some made up RP ramble about what my injuries are, when I'm waiting for the dropship to land or go up, I don't need the fucking PO telling me that he "only launches on schedule" said schedule being only launching once every five fucking minutes, and so on, shipside roles at its base exists only to serve the combat oriented role and to do such efficiently means they shouldn't waste time RPing.
    You can have HRP and LRP coexist. I disagree that shipside roles exist purely to support the combat roles: you could also flip that around and say that combat roles only exist to fulfill the orders and commands of the shipside roles. The reality is, it's neither.

IMO, you're overestimating the impact RP has on 'efficiency'. Regardless, the lack of maximal efficiency does not mandate a mutually exclusive RP environment. Some people find this game fun by winning and killing xenos; others find fun by engaging with other players and creating RP scenarios. Even if some people don't have as much fun when things aren't ultra-efficient, this game and its rules are dictated by what's fun for all and not fun for exclusively some.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh no, shipside role are totally the ones serving planetside ones.

Have you ever played on deadpop? Sometimes there isn't even a single fucking soul at CIC and the general order is basically "Land, kill xenos, win, or lose." with close to no direction. This proves that the game could still work even without shipside staff as long as marines could get planetside and starts doing things.

Also which announcement would you rather read? An entire paragraph that you need to shift through just to get to the important bits because it is also part "inspirational" speech, or the one that just says what the fuck is going on and what to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM has never been MRP, It's LRP.

The game has, conciously or not, been designed to be nothing more than a straight up deathmatch where RP means people having to write "Red dog" instead of "Runner". Other servers can actually be MRP because there's gameplay and admin input designed into the rounds that create situations where people can roleplay and do interesting stuff. In CM there's no real reason to roleplay, there are little to no means to roleplay and there's little to no time or place to roleplay. Almost every role has to be constantly playing click simulator or it causes its team to fall behind the opposing one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    In CM there's no real reason to roleplay, there are little to no means to roleplay and there's little to no time or place to roleplay. Almost every role has to be constantly playing click simulator or it causes its team to fall behind the opposing one.
    This is something I feel when I play Captain. Having to tend to every tiny request because the respective shipside player is too incompetent to handle it. "WE NEED METAL" ok let me just haul my ass to req oh look its a crew cut RO staring at a vendor let me just ord- "captain stop micromanaging me" then I ignore what he said, throw a bunch of metal in a crate and then manually drag it to the Alamo because there is a 0.0001% chance there will be an SL competent enough to get coordinates and then an SO actually launching the supply crate. Then of course we have to take in consideration that the entire crate will be hogged by 1 to 2 engineers of one squad, so of course another squad will say "WE NEED METAL" and the cycle continues. Or when the CL waltzes his useless ass into CIC while I am drawing a picture on the tactical map so people know what is going on and he's like "hey can we rp lol here's a paper" and im like "ok im really busy and i know if i tell you to fuck off you are just gonna cryo and not enjoy your round so let me just do this oh cool the time i took to sign your stupid paper could've been time me loading the OB because obviously the OB isnt fucking loaded and the time spent loading an OB could have been me making a metal crate so th-- ok the FOB falls because engineers didnt have enough metal and its all because of the CL's reasonable desire to are-pee".

Or round start we have retarded req staff so I have to man the entire req and the XO is neglected because all I'm doing is being a CT and they get mad they cant are-pee with the cool captain about cool tactics. And even if I did 99% of the time the XO will be a massive retard who has no idea on how round flow works and will either suggest something impotent or have this autistic tacticool plan that no one will give a shit to execute because it's retarded.

If I actually want to do my job, I have to sacrifice my ability to engage others in a meaningful RP scenario; which would've negatively impacted a majority of players because they didnt get what they needed at that time (no metal/ammo/tactical map/orders/OB/etc). Pragmatically it is actually selfish for a Captain to engage in RP because the time you spend doing that is time spent not doing anything else which negatively impacts more people.

How the round flows is antithesis to any sort of higher RP.
    Last edited by Imheretohelp; 05-06-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lemme just remind you that it is confirmed by a dev, that Falling Falcons are basically some reserve platoon of absolute losers. We're no way near as professional and cool as, lets say, DUST RAIDERS from WO. And it is a good thing.

I personally love that our marines are kinda like those goofy soldiers from 'Gone with the blastwave', plus it also goes well with the fact that half of our playerbase are baldies and in no way act like SUPA COMPETENT MILSIM GUYS.

Last edited by IMMASPACENINJA; 05-06-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM is a TDM server through and through. RP mostly exists so that the shipside players aren't bored out of their fucking minds.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imheretohelp View Post
    This is something I feel when I play Captain. Having to tend to every tiny request because the respective shipside player is too incompetent to handle it. "WE NEED METAL" ok let me just haul my ass to req oh look its a crew cut RO staring at a vendor let me just ord- "captain stop micromanaging me" then I ignore what he said, throw a bunch of metal in a crate and then manually drag it to the Alamo because there is a 0.0001% chance there will be an SL competent enough to get coordinates and then an SO actually launching the supply crate. Then of course we have to take in consideration that the entire crate will be hogged by 1 to 2 engineers of one squad, so of course another squad will say "WE NEED METAL" and the cycle continues. Or when the CL waltzes his useless ass into CIC while I am drawing a picture on the tactical map so people know what is going on and he's like "hey can we rp lol here's a paper" and im like "ok im really busy and i know if i tell you to fuck off you are just gonna cryo and not enjoy your round so let me just do this oh cool the time i took to sign your stupid paper could've been time me loading the OB because obviously the OB isnt fucking loaded and the time spent loading an OB could have been me making a metal crate so th-- ok the FOB falls because engineers didnt have enough metal and its all because of the CL's reasonable desire to are-pee".

Or round start we have retarded req staff so I have to man the entire req and the XO is neglected because all I'm doing is being a CT and they get mad they cant are-pee with the cool captain about cool tactics. And even if I did 99% of the time the XO will be a massive retard who has no idea on how round flow works and will either suggest something impotent or have this autistic tacticool plan that no one will give a shit to execute because it's retarded.

If I actually want to do my job, I have to sacrifice my ability to engage others in a meaningful RP scenario; which would've negatively impacted a majority of players because they didnt get what they needed at that time (no metal/ammo/tactical map/orders/OB/etc). Pragmatically it is actually selfish for a Captain to engage in RP because the time you spend doing that is time spent not doing anything else which negatively impacts more people.

How the round flows is antithesis to any sort of higher RP.
    Who the fuck are you in game and WHY the hell i am not RPing with you?

This is the kind of thing i have been looking around for RP and i would definitively try some other roles IF i had people to RP it, One of my Medals as Cargo Technician was RPing because SLs were too busy to get Coords, and i got to the captain and RP'ed a reason to work as MSR Technician (Main Supply Route Technician), I grabbed all the Crates and went alamo on LV-624 with a armor and a pistol dragging around crates of supplies to Fob and Hydro.

We won that round.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMASPACENINJA View Post
    Lemme just remind you that it is confirmed by a dev, that Falling Falcons are basically some reserve platoon of absolute losers. We're no way near as professional and cool as, lets say, DUST RAIDERS from WO. And it is a good thing.

I personally love that our marines are kinda like those goofy soldiers from 'Gone with the blastwave', plus it also goes well with the fact that half of our playerbase are baldies and in no way act like SUPA COMPETENT MILSIM GUYS.

The Fact that a dev loremaster confirmed we are a platoon of losers dosen't me we should act like one.

As i said on my commentary before, lately i have been seen a lot of people yelling at me on J-TAC channel to stop with my super huge messages on J-TAC channel.

To be fair, fuck em', the RP made me the decent CAS pilot i am today and on every single role i RP it.

I am NOT stopping with my RP, it's the way i find fun to play CM and it's the way i can ACTUALLY help players by killing Xenos because i am totally BALD as a PFC and end up dying because my PC is an utter shit.
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, the developers are rewriting the lore to indicate, correct me if I am wrong...

• The Marines we are playing as are essentially reservists/conscripts.
    • The mainline 'veteran' Marines of the Falling Falcons are all either KIA or incapacitated.
    • The Almayer was conducting a mission that went FUBAR, irrespective of the outcome the Almayer suffered major structural damage (the laser point defence grid is down, most of the ships offensive and defensive weapon systems are down). The ship's store of ammunition and heavy weapons are mostly depleted, meaning the standard issue ammo the Marines use (the explosive tipped armour piercing rounds) were all exhausted (thus the marines have to use the non-standard bullets that we commonly use, as they are reserved for low tier things such as killing local fauna) and most of the heavy weapons (RPGs, M4RA's, etc, etc) are gone.
    • En route back to base, the Almayer received a distress call from wherever the mission is taking place. After conveying with USCM High Command, the Almayer was ordered to reroute to the distress beacon. The justification is that the Almayer could, be coincidence, reach the beacon within a few days, whereas it would take at least a month for the next able ship to respond (due to the slow speed of movement ships use in the Aliens universe)
    • Thus the reserve battalion is woken up, since the expectation is this would be some easy mission that even the reservists can handle.

So in summation the new lore the devs are hinting at is intended to justify the combination of why the Almayer is in a shit sorry state (can't shoot down a rogue dropship), the lack of heavy ordinance or why the M41A is suddenly a shit gun and the subpar strength and tactical smartness of the Marines onboard.

PS: The devs also stated they hope to add the actual real M41A explosive tipped AP ammo into the game, no idea how you'll get it, but they state that it'll be really powerful.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de