User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MilSim vs LowRP Fun

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like a lot of people have the impression that HRP runs contrary to the whole point of playing CM, that is, being a unga dunga space marine killing xenos.

Yet, I think that one of the best ways to enjoy the game is to both engage with other players at any opportunity WHILE doing the usual unga shit. Any role, particularly support roles, can benefit from this.

I dislike using the term HRP because it implies there's a classification, or "levels" to what constitutes RP. So long as people are having fun and trying just a little bit getting into character, it's RP. You don't need drawn-out dossiers or funny accents for that, just a certain amount of earnest engagement with other players. It's something akin to improvisational theatre: engage with your improv partner, build off what they throw at you, and be uninhibited.

I absolutely guarantee no one is going to look down on a player for trying to RP, even if it's not the most engaging, or funny, or interesting attempt at it. Being concise, honest, cooperative, and having initiative puts you miles above most other players.

Forcing people into HRP won't work. All you need is patience, and be willing to listen, and just a little bit of creativity. If won't always pan out, but when it does, I guarantee you'll have some of the best times to be had in this game.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For CM, I believe we should 'stretch' what RP is for the server. Technically we are all "role-playing" when we use what to play as for the rounds. Added, those who add flavor in the chats and action are playing up their role. We have this down to a T and it basically harnesses what CM comes to be comfortable.

To me the "true" HRP moments are the EVENTS! that's because it's setup, everyone knows it and is on the same page. In turn most of the players try to play or play with the situations to the best they have. If this thread thought is about closure, I'd say we are an alternate-RP setup. Truthfully, its just a see-for-yourself kind of deal and I rather it stay that way: CM is RP-able.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colonial Marines, in almost every aspect in its design, is not conducive to genuine HRP, and anyone who wants to enforce a HRP standard will quickly find that to be impossible.

First and foremost, in CM, there is no randomization - there is no variation. Every single round, marines are deployed with the exact same equipment, on the exact same colonies (with the exact same configurations, possible hive locations, threats, problems with the colony and meta strategies), facing the exact same enemies and with the exact same objective every single round until we all die. You cannot have organic roleplay in these situations, because organic roleplay requires the player to be responding to situations. In a perfect world, the roleplay that the queen would undertake (using new strategies with mechanics to support them) would effect the commander, causing him to roleplay to find a solution to the problem that the queen is causing, and sweeping everyone in the middle up in this tide of arpee. Unfortunately, this is currently an impossibility. There is no surprise when playing CM, and if you do not use that month's meta strategy, not only are you at a disadvantage, but you are at a genuine risk of putting yourself out of the round for the next 2 hours and being incapable of playing. So, naturally, people take whatever gun does the most lol worthy damage, metarush the hive and try to kill aliens because there is no point in RPing on CM. It is not a fulfilling after the four hundredth time the CO gives briefing where he sends bravo to FOB duty, alpha and delta to scout and charlie to power. I'm pretty certain it's not fulfilling for the admins either - what's the point of responding to a CL fax if every round you get the exact same 8 faxes: "I just woke up" "commander gave briefing, operation started" "oh no xenos on the planet" "hey look survivors" "marines are losing" "marines evacuated" "OH GOD HELP" "OH GOD HELP". It's boring.

So with that, I am going to make an argument that silly "LRP" shenanigans are actually the highest RP actions undertaken on the server. You might say "Noah you fucking braindead retard, that's ridiculous, people goofing off before briefing is obviously nonsensical, nobody would do that IRL" - and you're right. Nobody WOULD do that IRL, but this also isn't IRL, goofy roleplay is still roleplay. It is possible to play a goofy character, and as long as you remain in character, it is still roleplay, and it is certainly more interesting and organic than ancient funny pfc (69) is. And to add onto this, gimmick commanders accomplish what CM seems to be designed to actively discourage: they make rounds unique and interesting. Having a round where Comrade Carson forces you down to the planet with a gun at your back, BEing anyone who retreats until you rush the hive is fucking hilarious and certainly far more memorable than big red round 4,323 where you stand around in the FOB talking about "holy shit man these fucking red dogs man they're gonna kill us!" This isn't to say that traditionally HRP captains or other roles are not appreciated, and every now and then a serious round is nice to have, but that doesn't mean that goofy ones should be banned to satisfy the RPboner or powerboner of people who obviously haven't actually tried playing a HRP character for more than a few rounds in a row.

If CM is to be medium or high rp, the mechanics need to represent that. CM would need new enemies, new colonial circumstances/disasters (maybe instead of comms being out there's a big fuckoff sandstorm you have to deal with on big red that caused the interference, maybe LV is a big marshy mess and the river overflowed up the central barrens and to the northern doors of hydro, maybe there's a snowstorm on ice colony or dangerous other wildlife on trijent dam that the marines have to try to deal with), and some kind of variance in the objectives for each round. Sure, killing the benomorphs can remain the same, but maybe there is an elite PMC squad trapped planetside that the marines need to rescue for the CL, or maybe the power system on the planet needs to be fixed before it starts leaking radioactive material everywhere and giving marines cancer. My point is that the more mechanics you have, and the more events you have, the more organic the RP is in the round, but until then CM will remain lrp because rping is fucking boring on CM. If I want to RP, I can go to any other server and have more fulfilling RP because the mechanics support it better there, but so much of CM was gutted to prevent powergaming that sometimes it feels like it was done on purpose to stifle actual roleplay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >makes excuses to devolve the state of the server

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to launch early as the CL because it would be funny...not get a day ban..wtf

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to play basketball, not get executed then told that playing basketball is bannable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RP is generally pretty subjective, there is no reason why we can't have a balance of RP and combat and by I mean, each character IS a character, how they show it depends on them, there is no need to write massive emotes or texts paragraphs as long you can can in some form of way show what type of person you are or "Gimmick" you have.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalattack View Post
    RP is generally pretty subjective, there is no reason why we can't have a balance of RP and combat and by I mean, each character IS a character, how they show it depends on them, there is no need to write massive emotes or texts paragraphs as long you can can in some form of way show what type of person you are or "Gimmick" you have.
    Hi Linne Im Aiko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fun under both kinds of Commanders. You can say you hate Bill Carson all you want, but his rounds as CO are always fun.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By Myself I thini it is mostly a MRP leaning to HRP role