User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarmare View Post
    Leaving my own thoughts.
    I don't particularly think there's any worth in allowing it, but there is a cost in enforcing a contentious policy that even staff take issue with which can make enforcement of it inherently inconsistent(as it is now).
    Might be best for things to remain as is, but it needs to be strict and consistent anywhere else because you are directly dealing with people there.
    Rule 3 can be reworded to how it's actually enforced now, and staff should not be directly causing issue in this regard because they stand as members of the community who you should be able to follow an example with.
    I'm concerned with staff side things currently, what exists here is a flawed policy for flawed people but at least part of it can be addressed even if it isn't the IC side of things.
    More or less on the same page as Solarmare. I don't think we gain anything with IC racism, but if it's going to remain OK we need to address it consistently.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    If I had a really, really long stretch about a fourth point, I'd really rather not see the Discord and forums full of people calling each other faggot and autistic retards because it's just childish.

I actually agree, but the problem is the current gamer generation has changed. 15 years ago in High School if you called someone a retard, you got your ass beat. Principal got a wind of it, you got a day of inschool suspension and the other kid was told maybe don't call people retards. Now a days 15 year olds throw out every insult in school with no repercussions because MUH FREE SPEECH or it goes to the extreme that anything is offensive because MUH SAFE SPACE.

Society has changed, and unfortunately it's becoming common place now. It used to be the internet was a way to escape real life. Now real life is where you go to escape the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I actually agree, but the problem is the current gamer generation has changed. 15 years ago in High School if you called someone a retard, you got your ass beat. Principal got a wind of it, you got a day of inschool suspension and the other kid was told maybe don't call people retards. Now a days 15 year olds throw out every insult in school with no repercussions because MUH FREE SPEECH or it goes to the extreme that anything is offensive because MUH SAFE SPACE.

Society has changed, and unfortunately it's becoming common place now. It used to be the internet was a way to escape real life. Now real life is where you go to escape the internet.
    I think it says more about the people in question who use their great freedom of speech to run around shouting slurs and hate speech and all that. The very kind of person who thinks it's comedy or something that makes them or the world better is just a complete waste of time and energy. "But muh free speech" is the worst excuse of a lazy person with some serious underlying issues.

I am not actually offended by these words. I don't want to have these words eliminated from the world for some great sense of racial justice or equality. I just expect better of people, especially people who are supposed to be more responsible and have some kind of governance over other people. It's been made very clear by this thread that overall, there's nothing worthwhile here for me, but if one person asks themselves why it's important for them to be allowed to say racist things, then maybe they'll actually learn something in life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grinkgo View Post
    And sure someone's gonna reply to this and say I'm comparing apples to oranges but that's all semantics.
    It absolutely is not. The major official argument the former hosts made against allowing ERP is the legally and morally questionable nature of hosting sexual content on a videogame heavily populated by minors and with no proper age-gate system.
    Of course Feweh had his own (justified) feelings against ERP and the types of people that tend to do it, but don't go around acting like it isn't allowed solely because it's 'not the type of roleplay' we want.

I really don't appreciate the condescending tone a few people seem to be taking in this thread. The person who initiated this non-drama has done it in every single post they've made in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    I think it says more about the people in question who use their great freedom of speech to run around shouting slurs and hate speech and all that. The very kind of person who thinks it's comedy or something that makes them or the world better is just a complete waste of time and energy. "But muh free speech" is the worst excuse of a lazy person with some serious underlying issues.

I am not actually offended by these words. I don't want to have these words eliminated from the world for some great sense of racial justice or equality. I just expect better of people, especially people who are supposed to be more responsible and have some kind of governance over other people. It's been made very clear by this thread that overall, there's nothing worthwhile here for me, but if one person asks themselves why it's important for them to be allowed to say racist things, then maybe they'll actually learn something in life.
    I know some people have their own internet-inspired mental representations of anyone who disagrees with their inane hall monitor demands, but please remember that the people arguing against an all out ban are not this alt-right chan-dwelling rageaholic with a bone to pick against anyone darker than a manila folder.

I can see you have absolutely zero respect for anyone who values human thought and speech, and I completely understand that you can easily paint anyone who does as some sort of loser-type because videogames are dumb and don't matter (except when naughty bad thoughts are shared, at which point something obviously must be done to save these poor ignorant children from themselves).

However, you have not made a single argument that doesn't devolve down to "YOU SAID MUH FREEZE PEECH SO YOUR WRONG". I don't know about anyone else, but I only involve myself in small internet communities because these kinds of people thrive on the negative attention that comes with:

1. Delegitimizing the topic of the forum and it's inhabitants (It's just a game! You're just a stupid teenager who wants to piss off mommy!)
    2. Demanding rules be changed because anyone who doesn't want that is obviously one of these internet losers who don't matter anyways.
    3. Decaying the culture of the forum through 'anti-toxicity' policing that inevitably follows these proposed changes in policy (see the same people in this thread make their little remarks about being called "autistic" and "retarded"; this will NOT end with 'racial slurs', I guarantee it.)
    4. Insulting and even harassing anyone who dares to flock to the inevitable break-away communities that form following this decay (but it's alright, anyone who does is an ebil racist anyways).

I don't want to see this process happen here, but it's absolutely no surprise given how many times I have seen it over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    The major official argument the former hosts made against allowing ERP is the legally and morally questionable nature of hosting sexual content on a videogame heavily populated by minors and with no proper age-gate system.
    Huh, you know I actually hadn't thought of it like that before. I guess in my head my perception of the playerbase's age must be higher than it is in reality. But that is a good point. I certainly didn't mean to come off as condescending, so I apologize if I came off that way. I definitely agree that condescending attitudes contribute little to the discussion. On that note, however, maybe you should step back and check your own tone as well.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post

The USA is basically the only 'western' country that says hate speech is protected free speech, that may be some of the cause of the divide here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spookydonut View Post
    The USA is basically the only 'western' country that says hate speech is protected free speech, that may be some of the cause of the divide here.
    I'll put it this way. In America, it's your right to say FUCK DA POLICE, and I may not agree with it. However I'm willing to die for you to have that right.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racism on CM literally is not an issue at all. Major racism is already dealt with by the admins, minor racism doesn't happen a lot and is just a way of insulting you eg: "MASAMUNE YOU DAMN GOOK" will be used in the average situation the same as "MASAMUNE YOU DAMN RETARD".

Tell me, how many times in one week do you actually see racism in game without any prior reason/context? Rarely.

This issue is not a big enough problem to warrant a rule rework, only a rule clarification.
    The fabled WEEB

Masamune 'Nippon' Sanada

Omen - 1st Generation Synthetic

Guan Dekna - The Shorty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state of CM. People throwing out harmless slurs at eachother should get you brigged, what the fuck kind of sad thinking is that? Words should most definitely not get you banned or kicked in any way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your thoughts opinions and participating in general. I am going ahead and closing this now.