User Tag List

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are literally at the point where we are just repeating the fact that its a IC issue, is dealt with as such and if its excessive it gets dealt with by staff.

But anyways, its a roleplaying game and trying to change that when there NEVER was an issue is dumb. The "issue" is non-existent. The ones who care about getting rid of it are pushing a dumb agenda on a self-moderating community that is OK and mature enough for the content... and also apart of the a group of communities that I'd say is on the same level as autistic as reddit or 4chan.

Build_R mentioned the Don't be a Dick rule in regards to this.
    If its IC, its typically IC unless the guy's meta targeting you or some dumb shit.
    Saying, 'oh lets give bans to people saying just the n-word' and "morgan freeman says" and 'fuck free speech, admins can change' is bullshit. We don't want this crap.

The day we start giving no-context bans cause "muh feelings IC" is the day CM loses itself. You realize how many times people get shit on IC for something dumb they did or, hell, didn't do?

As for racism. Like I said. In Character its fine as long as it isn't excessive. Excessive as defined in quantity. Saying 1 word or two words are 'excessive' is dumb while keeping the others. All are offensive, but all should be allowed.
    Notice we say "N-Word?" What about Cracker. Towelhead. Zipperhead. Faggot. Etcetra. What's so 'wrong'. Several people dislike the allowance of the N-Word, yet in those same posts they'll say Zipperhead/Towelhead. How interesting. Don't ban one word. Keep the system like it's always been .

If it is excessive, moderators deal with it. IC, MPs can arrest you for it if they want. Its easy to find something that would qualify, albeit its not a direct law (it should be added to SOP or conduct).
    IC, you might get beat up if you act racist. Its In Character. Same goes for most other people I'd say. Abuse it, get banned/noted/pinged etcetra.

To mimic a movie saying. Its just business. Its just IC.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 01-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racism is an IC issue that should be handled by MPs not admins.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we have been getting a lot of mostly good feed back from this. But we are also going around in circles. Now I don't expect anyone to convince anyone else in a thread like this so... I'm going to keep the thread open for a day or two more to give time to put your final arguments and thoughts in the thread and then I will be closing it. Thanks for giving us your thoughts and opinions on this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I�d write out a whole essay on this topic but I just don�t have the time or care to throw my two cents in when it�ll get ignored and called �PC garbage� by some staff of the community.

A short version is.
    I disagree and believe racism should be removed completely and the aspect of people literally playing stereotypes should be stopped as well. Probably won�t happen as this community has a hard on for �I like being allowed to insult others and act like a bigot� with the reply when people complain being �grow up/get thicker skin/this is normal/this is the Internet/separate IC from OOC�
    IMO all bad excuses that just say what I said above. �I enjoy being an asshole and if someone doesn�t like it, well that�s their problem.�

I don�t like asshole players/characters and just because it�s �normal� currently to be a POS doesn�t mean it has to be the usual for CM, though that�s just my piece.

The happy medium I�d be fine with is as mentioned really early in the thread. Staff should avoid rulebreakimg behavior as where this thread came from. It leads to a conflict of interest and you shouldn�t be staff if you can�t be neutral and avoid controversy.

>I expect a stupid reply to this reply so have at me with the �REE PC garbage� or �It�s the internet�

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My final thoughts on the matter.

I guess you could say me and Bancrose were the catalyst for this discussion.

To me there's a difference between RPing racism and just being racist cause I can be racist.

There's a huge difference between for example:

"Hey Julio, I told you to Speak English you stupid wetback."

as opposed to

Player logs on and spams "I HATE X!"

I would be all for a perfect happy blanket ban on everything, but that would mean the following:
    The days of calling each other every insult known to man IC would be over.
    The days of using derogatory language/profanity would probably be over.

I'll be real here, and any one of our veterans can attest to this as well. I work in a pretty not so tame environment. I've seen things that I pray to god others would not see. I work in a dog eat dog profession where ball busting, poking fun is not only common place, it's encouraged so you don't go mad and blow your brains out. I think the way players here treat each other in an In-character way is pretty tame compared to real soldiers.

I think the simple fix is just add a stipulation to the rules that Minor IC racism is allowed but if you feel its over the top, ahelp it.

Also add a line in marine law under disorderly conduct adding insults/racism.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a different between IC racism and OOC Dickery, why's this thread still going?

I play a stereotypical Italian who's bigoted against Mexicans, nobody has ever complained?

Or do people only get offended over certain groups? European stereotypes seem fine, we've got stereotypical Germans and hell I've seen a few Scandinavians who pretty much say BORK BORK BORK all round.

Why is nobody virtue signalling over these? Or is outrage only reserved for certain minorities and their stereotypes?

Ya'll be so tolerant and sheeeeeit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimcad View Post
    So we have been getting a lot of mostly good feed back from this. But we are also going around in circles. Now I don't expect anyone to convince anyone else in a thread like this so... I'm going to keep the thread open for a day or two more to give time to put your final arguments and thoughts in the thread and then I will be closing it. Thanks for giving us your thoughts and opinions on this.
    I'm sure you had fair intentions but this was a stupid can of worms to pick off the shelf and open, Grimcad.

The rule works fine as it is. It's got an allotted grey area for Admins to use their eyes and best judgement to each scenario, the moment you turn it into a cut-and-dry enforcement in either direction it becomes a detriment.

Just leave this shit alone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WestHybrid View Post
    I'm sure you had fair intentions but this was a stupid can of worms to pick off the shelf and open, Grimcad.

The rule works fine as it is. It's got an allotted grey area for Admins to use their eyes and best judgement to each scenario, the moment you turn it into a cut-and-dry enforcement in either direction it becomes a detriment.

Just leave this shit alone.
    Yes this guy gets it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone wants to be an overly edgy dickwad there are other servers to do it on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, this is now the biggest thread on the new forum. Kinda surprising, but personally I don't find this an issue, although obviously others do and I guess that's just how it is these days. I really like where the server is at now and would hate to see the community go in a different direction. At the end of a days work I just want to enjoy the game and banter with the people each round cuz it makes me smile. It sucks others don't feel the same, but it's impossible to please everyone. I'm just a pleb though, so IGNORE ME!
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine