User Tag List

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the japanese shit is obnoxious too but I don't think racism comes into it it's just someone roleplaying (poorly) a (shit) charicature that doesn't fit the setting (80's sci-fi) and damages the experience. LowRP, basically. Nobody eould bat an eyelash if someone was acting like that in a WW2 pacific theatre setting.
    I ferl the same way about meme-spouting children and those stupid emote macros that crrtain players spam but that's another topic really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My view: IC punishable is fine, it makes sense in the context of the marines. "There are dark green marines, and light green marines - but they're all green".

Lets not forget that Aliens had racial discrimination in it (Hicks to Vasquez: "She thought they meant illegal Aliens") and actually in that context I think it was fine. Light hearted jokes about Irish people getting drunk, Brits drinking lots of tea or having terrible teeth, or Asians being bad drivers and Latinos being illegal immigrants shouldn't be an issue.

I feel the need to point out that CM really doesn't have that many black characters in it, there are more people RP'ing as Asian (or, you know, actually Asian) than playing as Black, I think.

I honestly think the way it's handled OOC is fine at the moment, you don't see people going "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" in chat very often but if you did I think it would be handled without toughing up the rules. I agree with Thesoldier on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go Goon station route and make any forms of Racism against the rules. The only thing it does is creates more problems and double standards as it exists. Making it an IC issue would only Promote it and make it even worse than it already is. Just remove it. Don't dick around with the idea, just get rid of it and call it day.
    Last edited by Cry of Wolves; 01-12-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all racism should be removed from IC. there is no place for it and it adds absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't care about the IC racism, if we went out of a limb and said "All forms of racism IC or OOC is now against the rules" does playing some from of stereotypical X race character count as racism if it offends some random person? if so we would lose a fair few unique characters, honestly if a person has a problem with the say someone is acting they should either take it up with the person in question or staff, CM should not be doing a whole crackdown on "Racism" unless it get's extreme and majorly out of character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritigern View Post
    "It's the internet just toughen up lolol" is such low hanging fruit from autistic little shits, and having that argument spill out of the mouth of someone moderating the server says a lot. You want to be a racist piece of shit hey you own that buddy, it's insert year you do you I don't really give a shit, but don't act like you're doing me a fucking favour by subjecting me to your bullshit. You aren't scaring the straights with your too cool for school, woke bullshit, you're just being annoying.

The roleplay bar has hit rock bottom on this server since the changing of the guard so trying to obscure this behind some kind of thinly veiled excuse of hurting the sanctity of our role playing community is laughable. I don't give a shit what your furry persona is I'm just here to unga dunga, and what gets in the way of that is some fat 12 year old from Nantucket pretending he's a samurai space marine screaming over the radio to do bayonet charges for great honouru or face brig time otherwise. Keep the obnoxious bullshit to a minimum, and that includes forcing clown-like caricatures from ruining everyone else's good time.
    The post I was waiting to see. Got a good fucking laugh from that.

I'll say this. I've witnessed firsthand what this community and the rest of the hub is capable when they get carte blanche to do dumb low roleplay bullshit. Racism, caricatures and adjacent nonsense is low-roleplay bullshit. If you take the shackles off for this, you are alienating a significant portion of your playerbase, because the white head-ass greytiders will take that as a sign that Mods will give them a hard pass to harass people IC. And they'll keep doing it, because there's no chance of repercussion beyond maybe getting taken out of the round by MPs if they even do their job right.

Mods who are bitching about the status quo and saying its unenforceable clearly aren't capable of doing the job. Use your fucking eyes. If it's a rule, you enforce it. You don't get to cherry-pick which ones you follow just 'cause your name is in bright piss yellow. Do your jobs.

You wanna know what's more sad than someone complaining in a 2D spaceman game that they got called a racial slur on the internet? A bunch of white teenagers who are complaining in a 2D spaceman game that they aren't allowed to. It's not even harming you by enforcing the rule; it's creating a less toxic environment, and by extension, a better roleplay environment, just by existing.

Medium Roleplay means two things: One, you don't have to do a bunch of the obnoxious shit Bay and Aurora will put you through. Two, you have to be a reasonable motherfucking human being who speaks in complete sentences and acts like a goddamn adult. Allowing the use of racial slurs with reckless abandon does not improve the quality of the roleplay or your writing styles. None of you are Tarantino, don't presume you're going to create a more realistic, well-written storyline just because you can say kike or spic all of a sudden without getting in trouble from the Mods.

You're allowed to be concerned by the fact that you can receive a potential ban for using racial slurs. You could also, I don't know, consider the following; Just don't use them. How hard's that to get across.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I come from a community which -- ostensibly -- had quite a dark setting, with futuristic dystopian themes such as slave trafficking, genocide, mass murder, terrorism, and ethnic cleansing being part of the lore between various sci-fi nations.

The same community also had (and still has) a ruleset which prohibits even 'fuck' or 'shit' from being said either in OOC or IC speech, among other things. Dropping any sort of racist language, bar extremely tame stuff like 'frog' for a Frenchman, would probably have been an instant perma.

This was always one of my major complaints when it came to roleplaying there. I don't want to delve into slippery slope territory here, but I would be wary of seeing the same thing come into play here.

The cynical -- and possibly more realistic -- part of me, meanwhile, is saying that this whole racism issue is just a very small sub-issue related to a much larger and more grievous cancer on our beloved server, but unfortunately I can't really talk too openly about that one.

EDIT: let's also not pretend like the majority of people here give half a shit about roleplay other than on a low to medium level. People often say we're lowRP here -- they're right, but it's definitely on the higher side of lowRP. When you compare it to some regular SS13 servers advertised as low or even medium RP, the difference is night and fucking day. That said, the vast majority of people (myself included, a lot of the time, as much as I'd like to hold myself to a higher standard) like to flimflam between being fully out of character and some degree of in character, and people are right in suggesting that racially charged language isn't often really being used for it's "roleplay value".
    Last edited by Omicega; 01-12-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with an outright ban is that it ALWAYS has a chilling effect on server culture that becomes overtly sterile to the point of being unfun and almost non-communicative. Goonstation took this very trajectory and I don't want to see it happen here.

Just disallow the blatant baiting. Juro isn't making us more rabid against the Japanese than a WW2 marine. Heinz isn't gonna cause a second Dresden. Tyrone doesn't have chicken MREs and grape soutos thrown at him constantly. It's about knowing when to tone it down when other players begin carrying things too far, and from what I've seen, each of the players I mentioned (or at least the first two) generally know when to do that.

The player report that spawned this thread came from a 'Muslim Character' and a 'German Character' taking some sort of mutual anti-semitism meme and running way too far with it, especially for a staff member. If this server starts cracking down on all 'bigotry' over this situation it will have an anti-social effect similar to allowing 'bigotry' in OOC and to ANY extent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real military is way worse than the stuff most people on CM are saying.
    So if anything, CM is LRP for not being racist enough most of the time.

That said, I honestly couldn't care less. With the right context all IC racism is okay to me.
    IF YOU REALLY want to change the rules the most I would do is have MPs be able to give a 5minute stint in a cell if one marine keeps being racist towards another to a ludicrious degree and if the other marine takes offense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real problem if someone revenge them, they got mad easily in real life. It's a game, remember who start being a racist in game.

I was Commander last time and people calling me a gook but if I say something about them, they're like gossiping a person through discord chat because of his mistakes or because of being a racist.

If you want that person stop being a racist, try to look yourself first before gossiping anyone in discord for being a racist in game.

And that's the reason why did i changed since everyone started being a racist because I have a asian character.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019