User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Remove Whitelists

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OestErreich View Post
    >Stories also show creativity and your ability to craft scenarios with your character. It's a good way to show that you care.
    Yes but creativity and crafting scenarios was never brought up, I was addressing literacy. Since you failed to actually address my point, I assume it was valid. As for your """""point""""", creativity and ability to craft scenarios can easily be shown outside of your ability to write a fanfiction, a question like "What is an in-game scenario related to this role you would deal especially well with, both in terms of your actions and roleplay? What would your character's actions be in this scenario and why?" would show this, for example.

>That Joe Sixpack story wouldn't get accepted. Maybe instead of that, write about HOW your CO would act on the Almayer and write a story where your CO deploys MPs, issues a BE, etc. to show the community you know when to do it. Stories are like giving examples.
    And this needs to be written in the form of a fanfiction because? Why not just have a question asking "How would your character react to this situation on the Almayer?" or "When would you issue a BE?"? Luckily we already do have these questions (albeit usually in the replies instead of the application itself) and they make the fanfiction part of the application irrelevant in regards to how and why your character would act a certain way in a situation.

>What? In many Synth stories they include a part where they perform step by step surgery, or perform construction of an APC, etc.
    You display how your Synth interacts in stories to show that you know how a Synth would act in game. It's not 500 pages, either. Exaggeration only works when the point you're comparing is actually absurd, but in most cases, stories are 3 pages at most.

I may have asked this before but why does this need to be in the form of a fanfiction instead of, say, a question asking how the synth would act in certain in game scenarios? (also sorry for exaggerating, i get carried away and joke sometimes about very serious subject matters like video games, it's something i'm trying to control)
    I guess reading is hard for you? I don't actually mean that, but you missed what I said. I said also. As in, on top of showing literacy. Your point was valid, and I didn't say it wasn't. I was solidifying the importance of a backstory. When a backstory is made, the council can ask questions like, "Why did your synth do this? Why did he act like this?". These questions are important because you need to uphold certain standards in game when you interact with others.

Look above to my response to a different lad. Backstories for CO aren't as important because a CO is a human. You act how you want to. I agree with you there; they're just not as needed. Synths and Predators act a unique way, unlike a CO would.

When you upload a story, what you write can already answer many of these questions and save the council a lot of time. I'll reiterate my point about showing that you care. When you sit down to write these stories, you are dedicated. It shows the staff and the council that you actually want this role and will put the time in to write a good story. Any person who understands CM can spend 5 minutes to answer these simple questions on the application, but that doesn't mean that earning this role is important to them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the council wants people who earn the role through effort. Stories represent the amount of effort you're willing to put forth.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please don't remove CO's whitelists.

PTSD triggers Oh Fuck Oh God
    and i returned, and left. and returned again 19/06/2022, this is my life now.

Former Moderator Trainer. If you have any questions regarding Moderation Duties, feel free to DM me: Hunk1#9842

A bigger truth has never been spoken.

Props to nanu for the picture.

My Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want CO de-whitelisted because they have the BE and the authority to single-handedly screw up a round badly for marines. If someone has a good rep, understands the rules for BE, understands command roles and demonstrates good RP then that's enough for me. The story section might seem trivial but I think its handy for seeing how fleshed out a character is and what level of RP I could expect from a player.

What we should really be discussing is the Space Carp whitelist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    1. Not too powerful if nerfed, but if not nerfed, they need to be removed. They add nothing of value to the round; rarely do they enrich a round and its usually only 1 or 2 people.

2. Not really, you could say the same about the CPT; CPT needs to know guidelines and be known as a CIC player. You don't need a backstory to show this; just play XO / SO / RO and show you know what to do then answer some questions and put up a poll. The same can be said about Synth; its just a super support player. Sure you have some unique things, like being able to be revived forever, and some strengths against neuro, but thats about it. They still don't need a backstory.

3. Read above.
    I don't think you understand Synthetics at all? Synths have to act a certain way because they aren't human. They can't put themselves in harms way, use firearms, and many other restrictions. You can save the council a ton of hassle by just including these aspects in your backstory. Because of this, time isn't wasted in the application. You display how your Synth would interact with marines and respond to situations, which is very important to the council. I truly think that you lack understanding of the traits and aspects of a Synthetic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopil View Post
    I don't think you understand Synthetics at all? Synths have to act a certain way because they aren't human. They can't put themselves in harms way, use firearms, and many other restrictions. You can save the council a ton of hassle by just including these aspects in your backstory. Because of this, time isn't wasted in the application. You display how your Synth would interact with marines and respond to situations, which is very important to the council. I truly think that you lack understanding of the traits and aspects of a Synthetic.
    CPT's also have the same restrictions, though its a bit looser we still have them. We have to uphold roleplay standards, have guidelines we must follow or we will get removed, and so we are afforded certain privileges.

Synth is the same; sure they have a quirk they have to follow and guidelines to adhere to, but so do CPT's. The difference is, while CPT's have to handle the broad scope of the entire operation, Synths only have to deal with whats in their immediate surroundings. In return, Synths have the (near) best skills in the entire game to handle almost every situation, hence why I say they are a super support player.

Don't make the mistake that just because they have quirks and certain guidelines to follow that they are any more special than the CPT whitelist; they aren't. CPT's have their own guidelines that are just as strict, such as BE rulings, and the fact that they handle the entire USCM's forces every round they sign up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopil View Post
    I guess reading is hard for you? I don't actually mean that, but you missed what I said. I said also. As in, on top of showing literacy. Your point was valid, and I didn't say it wasn't. I was solidifying the importance of a backstory. When a backstory is made, the council can ask questions like, "Why did your synth do this? Why did he act like this?". These questions are important because you need to uphold certain standards in game when you interact with others.

Look above to my response to a different lad. Backstories for CO aren't as important because a CO is a human. You act how you want to. I agree with you there; they're just not as needed. Synths and Predators act a unique way, unlike a CO would.

When you upload a story, what you write can already answer many of these questions and save the council a lot of time. I'll reiterate my point about showing that you care. When you sit down to write these stories, you are dedicated. It shows the staff and the council that you actually want this role and will put the time in to write a good story. Any person who understands CM can spend 5 minutes to answer these simple questions on the application, but that doesn't mean that earning this role is important to them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the council wants people who earn the role through effort. Stories represent the amount of effort you're willing to put forth.
    Fair enough about synths and predators using the backstory as a way to show how they need to interact and demonstrate behavior that fits within the unique boundaries of their roles, I'll be honest I was mostly thinking about CO apps where that doesn't apply so that's likely why that went over my head. Basically the lack of the need to have the way your character acts revolve around their role's restrictions is why I don't think CO apps really need a story, but I can see why it's good for preds/synths.

As for the backstory serving to show that the person creating it cares, this is just a theory but I think just going through the rest of the application is usually enough to discourage people who don't really give a shit and only plan to play the role maybe once every 20 rounds, I think just by being willing to go through the whole process of taking the time creating the application and then being interviewed about their app for a week or two it shows the role is important enough to them to that they're not content just saying "well i mean i guess it'd be cool but i don't want to go through all the effort of setting up the app and getting asked questions and shit so i'm alright not having that role".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    CPT's also have the same restrictions, though its a bit looser we still have them. We have to uphold roleplay standards, have guidelines we must follow or we will get removed, and so we are afforded certain privileges.

Synth is the same; sure they have a quirk they have to follow and guidelines to adhere to, but so do CPT's. The difference is, while CPT's have to handle the broad scope of the entire operation, Synths only have to deal with whats in their immediate surroundings. In return, Synths have the (near) best skills in the entire game to handle almost every situation, hence why I say they are a super support player.

Don't make the mistake that just because they have quirks and certain guidelines to follow that they are any more special than the CPT whitelist; they aren't. CPT's have their own guidelines that are just as strict, such as BE rulings, and the fact that they handle the entire USCM's forces every round they sign up.
    I never said that the Synthetic whitelist was more special than the COs standard wise. I said that the Synthetic whitelist has a better reason for backstory than the CO whitelist. Synthetic have stricter restrictions than the CO in that regard though. Synthetics don't just have a quirk and follow guidelines; they are lore bound and have to adhere to that. They have to act a certain way, which is represented in the backstory that you create when applying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're making out the whitelist privileges and restrictions more than what they are.

To BE you pretty much have to bait one or be so incompetent that the captain sees you worth BEing, there's practically never time where a captain just goes around BEing everyone that disagrees with them, maybe some but not everyone. Those sort of things are reserved only for admirals.

Synths not acting like humans? Don't make it that big of a deal. Synth players are heavily mechanically involved and when it comes to "just doing their job" there is no RP, what is there to RP about building the FOB, serving the cargo lines?
    When it comes to shipside RP, synths are *thirsty* for them. Why? Because there is just not a lot of RPing going on shipside, the few moments that it does happen is reserved for things like xeno in containment, preds negotiating with marines, the rare admin event. No synth is going to spend time with some MT, RPing about fixing the generators, no synth is going to spend time with the CL talking about whatever, maybe the synth is going to spend time with the researcher but only because there's a xeno in containment.

So again, if it's just competency that whitelists weed out. Even a timelock that warrants actual playtime would be enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    You're making out the whitelist privileges and restrictions more than what they are.

To BE you pretty much have to bait one or be so incompetent that the captain sees you worth BEing, there's practically never time where a captain just goes around BEing everyone that disagrees with them, maybe some but not everyone. Those sort of things are reserved only for admirals.

Synths not acting like humans? Don't make it that big of a deal. Synth players are heavily mechanically involved and when it comes to "just doing their job" there is no RP, what is there to RP about building the FOB, serving the cargo lines?
    When it comes to shipside RP, synths are *thirsty* for them. Why? Because there is just not a lot of RPing going on shipside, the few moments that it does happen is reserved for things like xeno in containment, preds negotiating with marines, the rare admin event. No synth is going to spend time with some MT, RPing about fixing the generators, no synth is going to spend time with the CL talking about whatever, maybe the synth is going to spend time with the researcher but only because there's a xeno in containment.

So again, if it's just competency that whitelists weed out. Even a timelock that warrants actual playtime would be enough.
    I can't help you if you think that theres no RP with Synthetics while they're doing their job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm adding nothing constructive to this discussion but i'm still gonna post cause I can.