Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Marine Law Discussion Thread

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaddishRed View Post
    Are you saying that because you haven't even started doing your duties, you should not have consequences for not doing your duties?
    Neglect of duty, not desertion. Atleast I think that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desertion implies to completely abandon one's post or duties. Neglect of Duty implies they are still doing some of their job but ignoring crucial parts. It's like comparing a Maint Tech who sets up the engine but isn't checking on OB to keep it loaded and chambered to a Maint Tech who spends the entire round in maint tunnels kidnapping people and feeding them soy milk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm saying desertion isn't the correct charge. By all means charge the Marine who refuses to deploy with failing to obey orders or dereliction of duty or some such. But desertion is a clearly silly charge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main duty of marine is to support his squad and obey command orders. You are refusing to carry out these duties, if you are refusing to deploy planetside, thus you are refusing to carry out duties essential to your position and can be arrested for Desertion.

You can look at it in another way: Maximum for NoD is 25 minutes with demotion. If you will arrest marine for NoD it will look like "You are refusing to deploy? 15 minutes in brig for NoD then. You are refusing to deploy after serving time? Hm... 25 minutes in brig with demotion to PVT. You are still refusing to deploy? Well... Uh... Get back in the cell then. You are under arrest for NoD for 25 minutes." NoD crime does not allow termination and it will just end up in marine being constantly arrested, released and arrested again.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rals View Post
    Main duty of marine is to support his squad and obey command orders. You are refusing to carry out these duties, if you are refusing to deploy planetside, thus you are refusing to carry out duties essential to your position and can be arrested for Desertion.

You can look at it in another way: Maximum for NoD is 25 minutes with demotion. If you will arrest marine for NoD it will look like "You are refusing to deploy? 15 minutes in brig for NoD then. You are refusing to deploy after serving time? Hm... 25 minutes in brig with demotion to PVT. You are still refusing to deploy? Well... Uh... Get back in the cell then. You are under arrest for NoD for 25 minutes." NoD crime does not allow termination and it will just end up in marine being constantly arrested, released and arrested again.
    So by this logic, every time PFC disobeys any order from Command, he should be always slapped with desertion.

NoD can be easly "repaired" by allowing it to stack in that certain situation. Or maybe even creating new law, only about not deploying, where punishment wouldn't be brig, but forced deployment.
    I still remember one funny story when I was sick and tired of fucking ICE, so I played one ICE run as PFC who refuses to deploy. MP came, stated the charges and even cuffed me, but right when this was happening, he didn't grab me, so I was able to run into nearly parked DS who was just launching. MP came after me and we both deployed, yet I was then bucklecuffed and transported back to the ship to spend NoD and arrest ressistance charge in Brig. Quite silly.
    Especially in CM13 lore, where conscription is high, morale low, each marine counts, but still there is time to not force to fight those who don't.

Not deploying counting as Desertion is like punishing failed suicide attempts with death.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thread still doesn't point to the crucial reason marine law is shit

bay-tier prison timers for a game that essentially lasts for said timer, making arrest just as bad as a BE, except a BE actually needs a damn good reason to be used, whereas you could break a few windows or start a small fight and now your game is over

going around circles around the pin point wording of marine law and all its intricacies do not fucking matter until this is fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    bay-tier prison timers for a game that essentially lasts for said timer, making arrest just as bad as a BE, except a BE actually needs a damn good reason to be used, whereas you could break a few windows or start a small fight and now your game is over
    What gets me is that people will break windows, start a fight, okay that's 5 minutes, maybe 15. But then they run for security, adding resisting. They may attack security, even shoot security.

No. Breaking windows or starting a fight won't end your round. Chucklefucking will end your round, as it should.

MP's should be a bit more tolerated by the marines. These are players foregoing the fun on the surface for a more RP-driven round.

I'd be in favor of sentence reductions for minor infractions, even down to official warnings depending on severity. But I believe resisting arrest and obstructing an arrest should be punished and run consecutive to any other offense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post
    MP's should be a bit more tolerated by the marines.
    Hell no, they've done nothing to deserve a shred of pity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpkeaton View Post
    MP's should be a bit more tolerated by the marines. These are players foregoing the fun on the surface for a more RP-driven round.
    Wheres the RP in silently tazing a marine, dragging them to the brig to read over the wiki to see which charges can be slapped for the longest time and toss them in before wandering off? MPs don't even talk to marines let alone follow proper procedure that would at least show the common marine player they are here for more than the chance to shit on marines.

Simple answer is MPs are an unneeded role that could easily be handled by SLs, Specs and SGs to handle discipline and beat marines who misbehave and cause trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you can force marines to deploy, what is the point? If he does not want to die he will just wait for FOB to get sieged and flee on Alamo. You cannot force said marine to fight and he will, most likely, try to start mutiny because "They are sending us to our death! Let's kill command!" And permabrig, RP wise, is not just "We will release you after OP end" You can be executed, while you are in permabrig and will, most likely, face court after Almayer returns to dock. That means, that marine did not escape death, he, in fact, can be executed for desertion in next 5 or so minutes.

If MP give you max time on first offense without reason - ahelp it. If MP is breaking procedure - ahelp it. If MP is leaving you in brig alone - ahelp it. MPs have OOC protection, but they have more responsibilities. I would not say, that all timers are too long, and you will hardly miss all the fun, if you, for example, will insult officer at 12:10 and won't resist arrest. BY the way, in new Marine Law some punishments have been lowered.

And about removal of MPs. To be honest, I want to see what will happen, if such things as deconstruction of Almayer pre-briefing, fights, insubordination and so on will be handled by moderators, instead of MPs. Because I doubt, that anyone will give NCOs power just to beat up marines.