User Tag List

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritigern View Post
    "It's the internet just toughen up lolol" is such low hanging fruit from autistic little shits, and having that argument spill out of the mouth of someone moderating the server says a lot. You want to be a racist piece of shit hey you own that buddy, it's insert year you do you I don't really give a shit, but don't act like you're doing me a fucking favour by subjecting me to your bullshit. You aren't scaring the straights with your too cool for school, woke bullshit, you're just being annoying.

The roleplay bar has hit rock bottom on this server since the changing of the guard so trying to obscure this behind some kind of thinly veiled excuse of hurting the sanctity of our role playing community is laughable. I don't give a shit what your furry persona is I'm just here to unga dunga, and what gets in the way of that is some fat 12 year old from Nantucket pretending he's a samurai space marine screaming over the radio to do bayonet charges for great honouru or face brig time otherwise. Keep the obnoxious bullshit to a minimum, and that includes forcing clown-like caricatures from ruining everyone else's good time.
    The previous guard with Feweh and Apop wouldn't have given two shits about the "Nantucket pretending he's a samurai space marine" because they would've found it funny, the same exact way Bancrose was favored by Feweh when the guy used to play a commander ripped straight out of Nazi Germany. There was an incident where Fitchace/Bill Carson said something along the lines of "Them niggers secretly adore slavery" and then dabbed, and when people started ahelping Feweh laughed and said "IC racism is perfectly fine" in OOC chat. The current moderation team is actively considering tightening racism rules and has less tolerance for these gimmick characters, so try not to scream insults at the top of your lungs like a whiny child that misses his mommy when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Rule 3 isn't a rule that needs changing in any way, as we've had this rule for years now with no problem whatsoever. Most of the problems cited in this thread have less to do with the rules themselves but rather the way they're enforced.

At most rule 3 should be reworded so that it's easier to understand. Some people assume any and all forms of racism is a rulebreak while others know it's just to stop people from verbally abusing others in game with malicious intent, hence why "no racism" is not a main rule and is merely listed as a part of the "don't be a dick" rule.

The real problem is that staff is piss poor at maintaining consistency with their enforcement of the rules- people simply saying "nigger" regardless of context will get people warned one moment while saying "niggers should be sat in the back of the dropship" the next would be deemed as an IC issue, for instance. Two people can ahelp to be respawned after observing and failing to roll event characters and two different moderators will handle the ahelps simultaneously, one saying to the first player "sucks for you bucko, you took the risk and it didn't pay off" while the other moderator wordlessly returns the second player back to lobby. From the prospective of an outsider looking inside, it's very clear to me that the mod team agrees very little on how rules should be enforced and they have conflicting ideas for important issues. It should be ironed out by head staff.

The report made on the players for a breach of rule 3 should've been closed the moment that every involved party stated that they weren't offended and that they were just having fun with each other ICly, imo.
    Last edited by Kineem; 01-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get back on topic people, as much as this is backseat moderating. Watching people toss around insults will only force a mod's hand into doing something that the majority of people will not enjoy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main dilemma of this issue is when "third parties" get offended on the issue. Example: Two marines or more marines are being liberally racist to eachother, spouting racial slurs to eachother every now and then, OOCly these marines are completely fine with the racism and will continue because none of them fell offended.

But what about one other random marine that is just overhearing the conversation gets offended OOCly regarding the issue and decides to report it to the staff? That's when the issues kick in where you simply can't please everyone no matter what regarding these rules. People will get offended no matter what and others would just like it removed because it enhances (?) roleplay.

Just food for thought regarding the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the hunt for non-institutional examples of 'racism' is anti-social, cancerous to communities, and a much greater threat to the CM community than IC fights where one or both sides fling racially charged remarks.

Also, hell no on including it in ML. 'Cause I can see it now...

"MP! MP, you need to arrest PFC Whatever for racism!"

"What, why? What did he say?"

"He...he..." *sniffles, wiping away a tear* "He gave me a watermelon souto and I felt so oppressed by it!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep your comments on topic and civil to the point where you aren't outright insulting people or I will remove your posts, as I've done here already on the more recent posts.
    Too many rude posts as is, but if you're only point is insults there is an issue.
    Events or abuse are not the purview of this thread, enforcing racism IC is.
    Wouldn't normally delete posts for being off topic in a general thread but this is specifically a point on enforcement, dont be a dick in ooc is always enforced though as you are actually directly dealing with other people here.
    Last edited by Solarmare; 01-12-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hard time believing that racism IC has ever actually lightened the RP experience of the majority for people, rather the opposite. In general it only causes problems because it's hard to make a line since every staff member has different thick skin which means that one might start PMing because of a black character calling someone a nigger while others don't even bat an eye. In OOC it's pretty clear that it's not accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your enjoyment of roleplaying is derived solely from your ability to act out racist power fantasies, well, again, issues my friend. You do you, champ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly with the amount of posts being deleted I don't think there's very much use in keeping this thread open. Some intelligent arguments have been made and I think it would be best for the staff to just close this thread and consider the arguments.
    Last edited by davidofmk771; 01-12-2019 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Things getting out of hand

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritigern View Post
    If your enjoyment of roleplaying is derived solely from your ability to act out racist power fantasies, well, again, issues my friend. You do you, champ.
    Yes, baseless assumptions appears to be your only way of arguing. I'll take this moment to have a hearty chuckle, and then disregard anything else you've got to say.

Once more onto the topic of Racism:

Separate IC from OOC,
    If you see someone doing it excessively, you can ahelp it.
    If you don't like minor IC racism, distance yourself from it.
    If, you see it IC, report it to the MPs.
    If, you're a ghost - just move away lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarmare View Post
    Keep your comments on topic and civil to the point where you aren't outright insulting people or I will remove your posts, as I've done here already on the more recent posts.
    Too many rude posts as is, but if you're only point is insults there is an issue.
    This thread is not about what you will feel about this ten years from now, or to point out that people are racist.
    It's whether to extend enforcement against racism in its whole in IC or not.
    If people can't manage to keep things on topic and add something actually worth considering then I'll have to lock the thread for now just to keep them from derailing it more.