User Tag List

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 3. Racism in CM. Should it be allowed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have weird cases in which through RP. Characters that I know/know me, I will go up to and make a vile remark, and if it's someone like Sam 'Stunner' Abrahms, you're damn well right I'm gonna mention his race. But in a more fun loving way. IF I were to put input into the situation. As long as someone isn't specifically screaming 'NIGGER' at black marines, or 'SPIC' at Spanish marines. It should be fine.

Again, I have several people I use these terms on. One case was a marine back in Banter that was a Texan Mexican, and everyone called him 'Boarder Jumper' and 'Texican' or outright 'Spic.' I guess you'd need to factor in the context of it too. A simple 'My Nigga' could be abused by MPs to arrest someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, CM not being a safe space is not the issue here, its the fact that its a physical safe space, because if you go overboard with racist remarks IRL, there is a good chance you will get your face caved in, especially in a military environment, which is hard to do in CM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo View Post
    The thing is, CM not being a safe space is not the issue here, its the fact that its a physical safe space, because if you go overboard with racist remarks IRL, there is a good chance you will get your face caved in, especially in a military environment, which is hard to do in CM.
    no its not, i've seen plenty of marines get their fair due of beating if they were acting racist or discriminatory. it's the rules that not allow that to happen before deployment but it happens i've been a victim of it myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    no its not, i've seen plenty of marines get their fair due of beating if they were acting racist or discriminatory. it's the rules that not allow that to happen before deployment but it happens i've been a victim of it myself.
    Ye but you take unnecessary risk of being brigged/boinked.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimo View Post
    Ye but you take unnecessary risk of being brigged/boinked.
    And if you break someone's skull in real life, even if you dislike his racism, you still get in trouble...?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is racist for sake of being racist then cut it up.
    If it serves a (valid)purpose, then leave it alone.
    IC racism against particular character becouse he did/is doing something annoying/stupid = OK
    IC racism against particular group of people (outside the game, like against black people) just becouse they have something characteristic = Not OK
    We should keep server healthy, leftist sickness is worse than xeno bias. This is the last thing CM needs. 65% +/- 5% winrate for benos and a lot of "n-words", "f-words", "z-words" prohibition.
    The purpose of OOC rules is to keep players from ruining the fun of others in OOC manner. It's not that hard to identify when it's OOC racism and when it's invalid IC racism and when it's "valid" IC racism.
    If you as your character encountered a situation when one marine calls other "n-word" then you can do two things:
    1) Ignore it, becouse it's just an insult like many others.
    2) Investigate this situation to ensure as a mighty warrior that this marine won't start insulting particular groups of people just becouse they are share skin color/ethnicity/etc.

In forum we can't report somebody for other player. If some Baldo McBald griefed Mature PFC (777) in rare situation when there was no staff on the server, you can't report Baldo McBald, you can alert them, but nothing else.
    If somebody said: "Fuck all who were born on Earth", then you witnessed "invalid" racism. If somebody said to the other marine: "Fuck you Earthling grasshopper, scummy dirt eater, you will probably blow yourself and the place where you live, becouse this is all what you terrestials are capable of!", then this is racism, even Space racism, but nobody will take it seriously, becouse we don't know about anyone who wasn't born on earth. See?
    If somebody will say to the other marine: "Fuck you, terrestial!", then this is OK.

Again: If it isn't racist just to be racist then it's OK. If it is racism just to insult group of people OOC (and saying that all people of certain group are lazy becouse they belong to that group is OOC) then it's not OK.

The topic of stereotypical race/group like Japanese then I have a bit mixed feelings. That guy who just ads "U" at the end of most words and orders bayonet "banzai" charges is annoying and I can see the issue. I wouldn't bat an eye if he would be mocking "my group". I would even laugh at that, but thats me. I guess things like that should be toned down, or explained further in IC manner. He could create a story how he was commanding small squad of marines and they lost all ammo and in the desperate attempt to survive they did that bayonet charge. He could say that it's a medical condition, that he was wearing conical hat instead of helmet when he was shot by CLF to the head and autodoc messed with his left frontal lobe (Broca�s area) and this is why he speaks with "U". Done.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJG View Post
    If your skin is so paper thin that you need a fucking CM safe space because some random nobody on the other side of the planet called you a towelhead then I question if you are old or mature enough to be using the internet period.
    the epic truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyHawkpilot019 View Post
    the epic truth
    When we post paragraphs, dat man got it down simple.

He's right.

As for CM Racism IC. You say racist shit you might get your shit kicked in or arrested. Deal with it. That's fine.
    Hell, I've beaten up racists and been beaten up for racist shit in game.

We don't need moderation and safespaces and some bullshit like that. We just should keep doing what we keep doing instead of stifling players with more convoluted, unnecessary rules.

There's a lot of things that can be called racist and not just in the stereotypical racism you might be thinking of... It goes MANY ways... Minor Racism IC is fine as long as its not overboard.
    Last edited by Vispainius; 01-13-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads, maybe some people go on CM to get away from the hatred and stress that they experience in real life and they should be listened to reasonably when they're concerned about people being dicks to them. Also maybe you shouldn't make the person being hated on the fuckin' victim come on.

I'm up for some light-hearted acceptable racism though, changing the rule for that might be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Build_R_ View Post
    Lads, maybe some people go on CM to get away from the hatred and stress that they experience in real life and they should be listened to reasonably when they're concerned about people being dicks to them. Also maybe you shouldn't make the person being hated on the fuckin' victim come on.

I'm up for some light-hearted acceptable racism though, changing the rule for that might be a good idea.
    I've yet to see a single person come complaining about stuff directed at them relating to this issue. It's just wave after wave of sentiments like this whining on behalf of some abstract, possibly unreal third party, for whose sake the community needs to become more repressive.