From CM Wiki
|Difficulty: Very Hard|
Supervisors: Marine Law, USCM High Command
Rank: Major / Lieutenant Colonel (CO Council) / Colonel (CO Senator)
Duties: Lead your company and complete the mission.
Guides: Marine Law ; Commanding Officer Code of Conduct
Unlock Requirements: Commanding Officer Whitelist.
"How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?"
"How many combat drops?"
"Uh, two... Including this one."
― Ripley, Lt. Gorman and Pvt. Vasquez, Aliens
You are the Commanding Officer of the USS Almayer. You have been tasked with the mission to investigate an automated distress beacon from a Weyland-Yutani Colony. Your mission is to command the Marines to conduct a Search and Rescue and to eradicate the hostiles on the colony.
As Commanding Officer, your most significant tools are not weapons, but the leadership and all military structure under your command:
- The Command staff: These are the direct successors of the command if you are away and have the primary mission of helping the squads down below. They operate by using the overwatch consoles to support the squads and by micromanaging them so you won't have to concentrate on four squads at the same time
- The Marines: you have four squads under your command, each formed by 1 Squad Leader, 2 to 4 Squad Medics, 2 to 4 Squad Engineers, 1 Squad Smartgunner, 1 well equipped Squad Specialists and numerous Standard Marines.
- The Military Police: A handful of Military Police and Military Police Cadet's and their leader, the Chief MP that answer directly to you. They are assigned the duty to perform arrests on those that break Marine Law and to protect you and your crew from any hostile threats.
- Medical staff: Surgeons, researchers and nurses, their tasks include providing extensive medical assistance aboard the Almayer or in the FOB, creating custom medicine for deploying corpsmen on request, and researching and developing potentially very powerful new medicine, stimulants or lethal chemicals. They are led by a Chief Medical Officer and composed of Doctors.
- Engineering: The shipside engineers' primary concern will be fabricating custom explosives for your grunts, squad engineers and squad specialists, loading the Orbital Bombardment Cannon, then fixing any broken thing on Almayer. It's important to note that you can authorize the Ordnance Technician and Maintenance Technicians to go down planetside to assist in the construction of the FOB and/or the distribution of their custom explosives should it be absolutely necessary,
- Supply: Supply is an important part of the Almayer. They provide weapons, equipment, supplies, medicine, chemicals for your Ordnance Technicians, and ammo for your ship and marines. You should always have direct contact with the Requisitions Officer to coordinate supply drops and what to order. Make sure to be explicit and direct on what you order and for which squads.
- Synthetic: A stronger version of a human, made from silicone and science, they're programmed to assist the Almayer in various supporting tasks and are not meant for combat situations. Remember, they completely understand Marine Law and never break it, so as long as your orders are sensible and do not contradict Marine Law, they will be followed through with efficiency
- The Vehicle Crew: One of the most versatile assets fielded by the USCM, having competent Vehicle Crewman can turn the tide of any battle. The APC, depending on the module outfitted, can transport small, crack strike teams to critical locations quickly, evacuate casualties from the frontline and even restore them to full fighting condition without ever needing to return to the Almayer medbay or provide frontline overwatch for a single squad and offer light direct fire support.
You also have the incredibly useful communications console, with the various abilities of:
- Making a general announcement: a general announcement will be heard by all marines that are awake. It's highly useful for making sure all marines are aware of any updated orders and the general situation of the battle, aka whether or not an area has been lost or gained or if an area is being flanked or surrounded.
- Sending a message to USCM High Command: Even the boss has a boss. Sometimes in times of need, you need to contact the High Command to ask for their support or to inform them of something important. This system is used only for emergencies, for less pressing matters, you have a fax machine within your private office.
- Send a distress signal: Sending a signal will spawn a crew of Responders, this can only be activated during a Delta Alert Scenario such as a hostile boarding.
- Setting Primary Landing Zone: Allows you to select a primary landing zone, if one isn't chosen 25 minutes into the round the primary LZ is defaulted as LZ one. Setting a primary landing zone means that the other landing zone computer cannot be hijacked.
- Initiate the Almayer's escape pods: When everything goes haywire, you can always use this option to attempt to preserve the lives of your Marines and escape like a coward. The escape pods will take 10 minutes to launch. Note that you can only occupy three people inside the pod; otherwise, the pod's thrusters will blow up due to overload capacity.
- Award Medal: Commanding Officers can award medals for various marines for their heroic acts. See below for more information.
As the Commanding Officer, you have access to a few unique items to set you apart from the rank and file.
You spawn with either a special issue Mateba, an extremely powerful auto-revolver, or a Desert Eagle, both powerful enough to knock a Human off their feet. The Commanding Officer also has access to two special prototype weapons the M46C Pulse Rifle and the M56C Cavalier Smartgun both of which can be found in the Commanding Officers Vendor. Additionally, you have your Command Tablet which is a portable communication console on the go. It can be found in a wall locker north of the CIC bubble. Finally, you spawn with a pair of laser designators.
Mateba Autorevolver Custom
|This version of the Mateba revolver is a limited edition produced for the USCM, and issued in extremely small amounts. Was a mail-order item back in 2172, and is highly sought after by officers across many different battalions. This autorevolver (as well as its other variants) has a special execution attack that can be achieved by firing point blank into a human target as long as the target is still. It comes with a customization kit to change to one of the three specialized barrels if the commander sees fit.
Vintage Desert Eagle
|A bulky 50 caliber pistol with a serious kick, probably taken from some museum somewhere. Its rosewood grips signify this much: it's hella classy.
M56C 'Cavalier' Smartgun
| The actual firearm in the 4-piece M56C Smartgun system. Back order only. Besides a more robust weapons casing, an ID lock system and a fancy paintjob, the gun's performance is identical to the standard-issue M56B
M46C Pulse Rifle
| A special prototype M46C, designed to outperform the aging standard M41A. The rifle starts preloaded with an incendiary magazine. Property of the Commanding Officer. This rifle is capable of firing 5-rounds in one burst. It has an IFF module integrated into it, allow you to fire through friendlies at the cost of trading your 5-rounds burst capabilities and a small reduction to the weapon's single fire rate. The IFF mode can be toggled on and off with the Weapon Tab by pressing the Toggle Lethal mode. It is compatible to both M41A MK1 and M41A MK2 magazines.
The command tablet currently has five available functions to its user. These five functions are the following:
- Make an Announcement - Allows the commander to issue announcements away from CIC.
- Award a medal - Allows the commander to issue medals away from CIC.
- Tactical Map - Allows the commander to see a tactical map of the current operation.
- Initiate Emergency Evacuation - Triggers the emergency evacuation, only available on red alert
- Send a Distress Beacon - Sends an SOS signal from the Almayer that can be received by Responders, only available on red alert
As the Commanding Officer of the USS Almayer, you have special provisions the typical Commissioned Officer or Enlisted Personnel do not possess, these include:
- Battlefield Execute personnel under your command if they have committed crimes that threaten other Marine Personnel, the ship or the operation.
- Pardon personnel who have committed Major or Minor crimes from the brig.
- Demote personnel who have committed Major crimes to a junior position in their department
- Deputise Command Staff or the synthetic to perform arrests if Military Police are not avaliable.
More Information can be found on CO Provisions
All Commanding Officers of the USCM are expected to abide by the Code Of Conduct and Marine Law failure to meet these expectations can result in being detained by the Almayers Military Police or a possible demotion
Mutinies can happen for many reasons, but it's mostly due to the marines not liking something you did. this could be for a multitude of reasons. Whatever the case may be, you have two options of handling it. Conceding to their demands and stepping down or fighting them off.
Taking on the mutiny head-on can be scary at first but remember that you've got an always loyal crew of MPs and possibly CIC staff, and an easily defendable location. You'll be able to funnel them in and hopefully taser them down, arresting them in progress. If it comes to guns, you'll be ready to fight them off if the mutiny is relatively small.
Of course, the best course of action is to prevent the mutiny outright. Make sure you treat your marines right, and they'll treat you right.
Orders are a timed active ability that characters trained in leadership can activate. The duration of the ability is related to how high the character's leadership skill is, an example being that the Commanding Officer's order will last longer than a Squad leader's order. The leadership skill also determines the intensification of the ability, the higher it is, the more intense the effects of the order are on surrounding players. Note that these abilities do not stack and that the abilities cover your visual view range and no further.
|Increased mobility and chance to dodge projectiles.|
|Increased resistance to pain and combat wounds.|
|Increased gun accuracy and effective range.|
To show that a member of the Almayer's crew has gone above and beyond during the mission you can log into the communications computer and use it to submit an award. This award then appears after the round, and it will also print-out an actual award that can be pinned onto the deserving Marine.
Credits to: Vispain (Cassius 'Santa' Klaus), Greg Lauffer (Snooper44), and Enyonggg (Cha Jin-Wook)
Edited by Moderator Hunk1 (Jason 'Goliath' Williams) in order to add official ruling approved by Commanding Officer's Council.
To find out about how the skill system works head over to the skills system page.